Mazda3 Forums banner

Warranty Information Sources

18K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  jolipares 
#1 ·
After reading "just buy the MS CAI, it won't void your warranty..." thirty or fourty times, I thought that it might be a good idea to have some kind of resource for people to reference when this topic comes up. I know that MOST of us know some part of this if not all of it, but I think that it would be good to have it all in one place.

Maybe the least we could do is contain the banter a bit here on this thread rather than spreading it all over the place.

New Mazda Vehicle Warranty Information

Source: http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=contactCustomer#9

What is covered under the manufacturer's warranty?

The New Vehicle Limited Warranty for 2007 models is 36 months/36,000 miles, whichever comes first, from the original in-service date. In addition, all 2007 models have a 60 months/60,000 miles Powertrain limited warranty. The Powertrain includes such items as the engine, transmission, trans-axles, and differentials. Defects in materials and workmanship are covered. Please contact your Mazda dealership for complete details.

More detailed list of powertrain components that are covered:

Powertrain Warranty Parts List

The listed below are the powertrain components covered under the Powertrain Limited Warranty:

Engine
Cylinder Block, Cylinder Head, and All Internal Lubricated Parts (Piston engines)
Rotor Housing and All Internal Parts (Rotary engines)
Timing gears
Timing chain/belt and tensioner
Timing chain/belt front cover and gaskets
Flywheel
Valve Covers
Oil Pan
Oil Pump
Intake Manifold
Exhaust Manifold
Engine Mounts
Turbocharger Housing and All Internal Lubricated Parts
Supercharger Housing and All Internal Lubricated Parts
Powertrain Control Module
Water Pump and Gasket
Thermostat
Fuel Pump
Seals and Gaskets
Freeze Plugs were not added
Transmission and Transaxle
Transmission Case and All Internal Parts
Torque converter
Clutch Pressure Plate
Transmission Mounts
Transfer Case and All Internal Parts
Transmission/Transaxle Control Module
Front/Rear Drive System
Final Drive Housing & all Internally Lubricated Parts
Manual and Automatic Hub (4X4)
Front Wheel Hubs and Bearings (FWD Transaxles)
Rear Axle Housing & all Internally Lubricated Parts
Axle/Drive Shafts
Propeller shaft (RWD and AWD only)
Universal Joints
Constant Velocity Joints
Rear Axle/Hub Bearings (RWD and AWD only)
Seals and Gaskets

Source: http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=shoppingToolsWarranty

The New Vehicle Limited Warranty for 2003 to 2006 models is 48-months/50,000-miles, whichever comes first, from the original in-service date. It covers defects in material or workmanship.

All warranty work must be performed at an authorized Mazda dealer.

Parts of the vehicle have a different warranty than the standard warranty. The coverage will still be for defects in material or workmanship. The following are some of the different warranties for Mazda vehicles:

Adjustments — 12-months/12,000-miles
Airbags (Safety Restraint System) — 60-month/60,000-miles
Brake Lining/Pad — 12-months/12,000-miles
Clutch Disc — 12-months/12,000-miles
Perforation — 60-months/unlimited mileage
Seatbelts (Safety Restraint System) — 60-month/60,000-miles (1991 models and newer)
Tires — warranted by the tire manufacturer
Wiper Blades — 12-months/12,000-miles
Emissions parts are very specific and regulated by the government. Please refer to your authorized Mazda dealership for a diagnosis and warranty coverage.

Can non-MAZDASPEED dealerships work on MAZDASPEED vehicles?

Source: Same as above.

Each Mazda dealership can repair any Mazda vehicle. The difference is that the non-MAZDASPEED dealerships cannot inventory parts and accessories for MAZDASPEED vehicles. Also, these dealerships may not have all the formal training on repairing specific parts inherent in MAZDASPEED vehicles.

Mazdaspeed Accessories

Source: http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=mazdaSpeedAccessories

Blue Warranty

MAZDASPEED "Blue" Performance Accessories must be installed by a MAZDASPEED Dealer on a US specification vehicle and be specifically approved by Mazda for the particular application. These parts are covered under the Mazda Replacement Parts and Accessories Limited Warranty and are warranted for the first 12 months/12,000 miles from the date of installation or the duration of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, whichever is longer. Should the parts be purchased but not installed by a MAZDASPEED Dealer, they will be covered for the first 12-months/12,000 miles from the date of purchase, excluding labor charges. Parts or accessories replaced/installed under warranty, are covered for the time remaining in the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Green Warranty

MAZDASPEED "Green" Performance Accessories must be specifically approved by Mazda for their particular application. These parts are warranted for the first 12-months/12,000 miles from the date of purchase, excluding labor.

Orange Warranty

MAZDASPEED "Orange" Performance Accessories are sold "as is" without any warranty of any kind. All implied warranties, including all warranties of merchantability of fitness for a particular purpose, are excluded. Purchaser acknowledges that no representations have been made regarding these parts, including but not limited to any representations as to their quality of performance, and purchaser shall be responsible for and bear all costs of repair of replacement due to any defect in or failure of these parts or any damage to other components. Purchaser acknowledges that vehicles equipped with MAZDASPEED "Orange" Performance Accessories shall not be operated on public highways. MAZDASPEED "Orange" Performance Accessories are intended solely for the use on vehicles participating in race/off-road competition events. Purchaser acknowledges that all Mazda vehicle/parts/accessory warranties are voided if the vehicle is used in a competitive event. Purchaser also acknowledges that there will be no warranty coverage for any part or accessory that fails as a result of the installation of a MAZDASPEED "Orange" performance part. Purchaser accepts all responsibility for all vehicle modifications and all potential risks. MAZDASPEED "Orange" Performance Accessories have been designed and are intended for race/offroad applications only. Federal and many state laws prohibit the removal, modification of, or rendering inoperative any part or vehicle system affecting emissions or safety.

What Is Not Covered

- Damage or corrosion due to accidents, misuse, or alterations.

- Damage or surface corrosion from the environment such as acid rain, airborne fallout (chemicals, tree sap), stones, salt road hazards, hail, wind storm, lightning, floods and other natural disaster.

- Normal wear, tear or deterioration such as discoloration, fading, deformation, blurring, etc.

- Replacement parts or accessories installed on any Mazda Vehicle registered or normally operated outside of the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, Saipan or American Samoa.

- Replacement parts, or accessories installed on a Mazda Vehicle in which the odometer has been altered, or on which the actual mileage cannot be readily determined.

- Replacement parts or accessories used in applications for which they are not designed.

- Replacement parts or accessories installed improperly by dealers, Importer/Distributor other than Mazda.

- Any replacement part or accessory without proof of purchase or replacement date.

- Non-Mazda replacement parts or accessories which Mazda Dealers may sell or install on your Mazda Vehicle.

- If the vehicle has been classified a total loss and/or sold for salvage purposes or branded for any other reasons.

- Removal of the vehicle from the warranty covered market for which it was produced.

Modding and Your Warranty

Be aware or your rights. In 1975 our congress actually did something worth while (they do in fact work on meaningful legislation). Aftermarket parts don't void your original factory warranty unless the warranty clearly AND conspicuously states that in fact DOES. Most states have statutes as well, please look them up and be informed. Just because a dealer is going to try and wiggle out of work doesn't mean that they have legal basis to do so, be smart and know your rights, know how to handle the situation.

The Service Department Has Obligations

Let's say your modified vehicle needs repairs while still under warranty. Not even looking at the real issue, the dealer plays their card and says that they are going to deny warranty coverage. Here's what most likely happened, they saw some aftermarket parts and saw a convenient way to dodge warranty work (my thinking is that it doesn't pay as much as regular repair work, but this might not be the case with Mazda (somebody set me straight here)

If your dealer says they will deny your exhaust leak problems because you installed coilovers (you know...because the ride is so much stiffer that it caused bolts to work their way loose) you've got to call BS. The fact of the matter is that a dealer must prove that aftermarket equipment caused the issue at hand prior to actually denying warranty work.

If you are still having issues know that you have recourse and know that if things sound fishy, they most likely are and that the law is on your side. Disputes are going to break down to the facts and technical opinions, rather than arguments over interpretations of the law. That said, know your sh!t, keep records (dates, names, EVERYTHING), and stand firm.

Some suggestions:

- Try to independently verify things. Talk to the folks that built the aftermarket part in question, if they are a long standing and reputable shop they may in fact some great technical data that will serve to support your case.

- If it's reasonable to think that the part DID in fact cause the issue, try and make a compromise...don't give every modder a bad name, but if you think that the dealer is just playing hard ball make sure you take pictures, make copies of every document, record names of everybody you talk to, get their contact information, register complaints with all applicable authorities included Mazda, make sure to save all other records of previous warranty work done on the car, and try to record accurate/objective/relevant third party opinions whenever possible.

- If you understand the law and you have all your supporting info, take it to the service manager and make your case. Remain objective and don't be a dick. Be professional at all times, this includes how you speak to others and how you carry yourself, take notes of all imporatnt claims made by either side, and get it in writting...always ask for it in writting.

- Know the chain. Start at the Service manager and work your way up, don't just pound on the same door if it isn't open...go talk to the owner of the dealer. If there are known issues with the car that match yours, make sure the owner knows it. He/she isn't going to stick out his/her neck for Mazda...that is for sure. That is classic pattern failure 101. If the owner stiffs you, talk to the regional rep that the dealer has to answer to when it comes to communcations with Mazda corp. Make sure to objectively lay out the whole situation for them including the official response of the dealer...don't whine or cry or you'll shoot yourself in the foot right then and there.

- Make sure you take more than one approach. Take it local...call the BBB, the DMV, even the state Attorney General. They are all resources for consumers. Some states have offices that will actually arbitrate the dispute for you. If it's a franchise dealer contact the National Auto Dealer Association @ 800-252-6232, they might be able to help. You can also take it national and call the FTC, they rely on data from consumers 202-326-3128.

Mazda contact info here:

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/contactMazda.action?bhcp=1

Magnuson Moss Warranty Act

"In order to improve the adequacy of information available to consumers, prevent deception,
and improve competition in the marketing of consumer products, any warrantor warranting a
consumer product to a consumer by means of a written warranty shall. . .fully and
conspicuously disclose in simple and readily understood language the terms and conditions of
such warranty. Such rules . . . require inclusion in the written warranty of any . . . exceptions
and exclusions from the terms of the warranty" – Section 2302(a)

Reference

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

Full Text:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode15/usc_sup_01_15_10_50.html

Difference Between a Warranty and a Service Contact (sometimes called an "Extended Warranty"):

A "warranty" comes with a new car and is included in the price. If you pay extra for it, it's a service contract.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/autos/aut02.shtm

Taking the Scare Out of Repair:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/autos/aut13.shtm

Facts for Business Owners:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.shtm

There is alot more that I'd like to add to this and I'll try to do so over time. Please let me know what I've missed/messed up etc or any other suggestions.

See less See more
#3 ·
This is good info....needs to be a sticky. Thanks. I need to look over this hard before I start modding. I do not want to screw with my warranty, but I know it will get bad considering I already have the mod bug already with less than 500 miles. :lol:

#4 ·
[quote author=CaSHMeRe link=topic=88377.msg1695245#msg1695245 date=1189128877]
jason, you suggest I go in to my local dealer for warranty work ?

edit: this is a true and sincere question.
[/quote]

I wouldn't go THERE (as in "NO") LOL...

EDIT: What I should've said is that there are more friendly places to go. I've actually heard mixed things about them and offered my personal opinion...do a search in Southwest and you'll see the threads.

#5 ·
i think we should start a pole and place bets....

Since day 1 i have had issues with my 4th gear. Grinds about twice a week although it has gotten better with my STS. Should have had it taken care of before i started modding, but i didn't.

::sigh:: guess i will just have to wait till aftermarket gears come out for our cars. then i will upgrade 3rd and 4th while i'm at it.

#8 ·
It's not stickied yet. I vote for a sticky.

Edit: I'd like to recall my vote. It is already stickied.

#9 ·
Nice! Glad to see this thread TTT..already. I think my suggestion made it happen..lol..jk

#12 ·
[quote author=JMS3GTL link=topic=88377.msg1695486#msg1695486 date=1189134209]
so if I murder my clutch within a year they will fix it?
[/quote]

depends if its under 12k miles and your tires are bald and the flywheel is blue then no we can without a doubt prove you abused your car and that will be Mazda's call as to if they will honor the warranty on it. Use common sense and don't automatically walk into your dealer with the idea they are trying to rip you off. We make money on warranty sure its not as much as non warranty but its a good chunk and without it a dealer would go out of business, but there are somethings we just can't do.

#15 ·
I bought my mazdaspeed 3 about a week ago and the dealer gave me a cd with all mazdaspeed parts. I believe that the mazdaspeed CAI falls under the "orange" category. Please correct me if I am wrong. I am trying to thing of any problems that can occur when having the CAI installed. Any thoughts?

#16 ·
[quote author=X2C link=topic=88377.msg1706003#msg1706003 date=1189535332]
I bought my mazdaspeed 3 about a week ago and the dealer gave me a cd with all mazdaspeed parts. I believe that the mazdaspeed CAI falls under the "orange" category. Please correct me if I am wrong. I am trying to thing of any problems that can occur when having the CAI installed. Any thoughts?
[/quote]

its green

#17 ·
Just adding my input: my car is in for some warranty work and the service manager said any MS parts will not even be looked at or treated as aftermarket parts. I asked what would happen if I had another brand intake or something. He said with another brands parts, if they concluded that the part was causing the problem, they couldn't work on it...but if I came back with the stock parts installed, then they would be able to work on it (sweeeeet).

#18 ·
[quote author=aaronc7 link=topic=88377.msg1706499#msg1706499 date=1189544819]
Just adding my input: my car is in for some warranty work and the service manager said any MS parts will not even be looked at or treated as aftermarket parts. I asked what would happen if I had another brand intake or something. He said with another brands parts, if they concluded that the part was causing the problem, they couldn't work on it...but if I came back with the stock parts installed, then they would be able to work on it (sweeeeet).
[/quote]

So they would take the time to trouble shoot MS aftermarket parts if in fact there was a problem? Very cool of them. To what extent I guess would have to be seen, talk is cheap. The problem is them refusing to work on a car...not sure what that says about the dealer.

#19 ·
I think he was pretty much saying..if the MAF needed replaced and I had the Injen intake or something...they would not do warranty work on it, but if I came back with the stock intake...then they could do it. I think it sounds pretty reasonable to me. I asked a few months ago before I bought the car and they stated "the warranty will be voided with aftermarket parts". I WAS in uniform yesterday when I asked, I'm thinking that might have played in a little bit to the (better) response I got this time.

#21 ·
[quote author=Boost Addict link=topic=88377.msg1752971#msg1752971 date=1191306278]
gwood... never knew you wrote this... Great job man! Good source of info. thanks for all your time.
[/quote]

No worries.

#23 ·
Subscribing as well.

I got the run around for warranty work on my hydrolocked engine because I had Tein Springs, PAINTED ENGINE COVERS and a Strut Bar installed.

They "suspected" I had a CAI installed but could not prove it.

They ended up voiding my warranty and denying my claim after they found water in the engine.

Sucks.

#25 ·
Edit: didn't know this thread just moved. BTW, does ANY mazdaspeed part fall under the "blue" warranty? I might do the mazdaspeed springs and sways rather than Cobb stage 2 suspension now that I'm reminded of the green warranty. Removing springs and a FSB would be a major buzzkill to take in for warranty work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.