Mazda3 Forums banner

Squeaking brakes

4K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Viking 
#1 ·
Would very loud squeaking breaks be covered by the Mazda warranty? Ive have my car less than 3 months and dont rag on my car at all but I get a very loud squeaking when I brake to a complete stop.

#4 ·
I had that problem. I put some Permatex Disc Brake Quiet on the back of the pads and it made a huge difference. It rarely squeals now.

Pads that are worn will squeal constantly, and may even squeal less when the brakes are applied. Pads that squeal on application of the brakes do so due to poor design. Mazda should have used shims or something on those pads.

#6 ·
i mentioned the squeak to the service writer last time i was changing the oil, and at first he tried to write it off, "all cars do it". Then the mechanic discovered the TSB, they ordered the special brake pads per the TSB, and I am getting them installed on monday. All free.

#9 ·
You can just put on some anti-squeal compound on the back of the pads...but of course this requires removing the wheel and loosening the calipers.

#10 ·
hey dudes
i also live in toronto - home of the polar bears, and i get the squeek on my few months old 05. what is the solution for this? it goes away after getting warmer. i once drove about two miles not realizing that my passenger had pulled the parking break. when i got home a few minutes later there was a lot of break pad smell coming out.
would this have had anything to do with the squeeking?

#11 ·
[quote author=Invent link=topic=34881.msg505382#msg505382 date=1134177329]
hey dudes
i also live in toronto - home of the polar bears, and i get the squeek on my few months old 05. what is the solution for this? it goes away after getting warmer. i once drove about two miles not realizing that my passenger had pulled the parking break. when i got home a few minutes later there was a lot of break pad smell coming out.
would this have had anything to do with the squeeking?
[/quote]

Don't think so

#12 ·
Brakes squealing in the cold is normal. They, like the rest of the car, don't like to operate cold or hot. They need that happy medium. Cold, they squeal. Hot, they fade.

The TSB for the '04-'05 models covers the squealing and excessive breakdust. However, no such bulletin has been issued for 2006 as I suspect/believe Mazda has covered it. You may want to take it in. It just may have bad breaks. After all, just think how many people drove it before you, dating back to when it left the assembly line in Japan, to the harbor there, to the harbor here, to the railyard, to the delivery depot, to the dealer.

#13 ·
[quote author=Mazda3Mike link=topic=34881.msg507797#msg507797 date=1134417089]
Brakes squealing in the cold is normal. They, like the rest of the car, don't like to operate cold or hot. They need that happy medium. Cold, they squeal. Hot, they fade.

The TSB for the '04-'05 models covers the squealing and excessive breakdust. However, no such bulletin has been issued for 2006 as I suspect/believe Mazda has covered it. You may want to take it in. It just may have bad breaks. After all, just think how many people drove it before you, dating back to when it left the assembly line in Japan, to the harbor there, to the harbor here, to the railyard, to the delivery depot, to the dealer.
[/quote]

Hey where did you purchase ur mazda3 at? i got mines at rosenthal.

#14 ·
:hijacked:

[quote author=phan95 link=topic=34881.msg510533#msg510533 date=1134591661]

Hey where did you purchase ur mazda3 at? i got mines at rosenthal.
[/quote]

Which Rosenthal? Arlington or Tysons? I ask because ironically, they're not affiliated. I got mine at Tysons.

FYI: Us Mid-Atlantic people are having a big meet in January. Check the Mid-Atlantic part of the forums for details...

#16 ·
I got mine in Sept. and finally had it in last week for some warranty work. There was something haywire in the ignition cylinder where it wasn't sensing that the key was out of the ignition so sometimes I couldn't lock the car with the key fob. The service writer, Allen, was awesome. He's a real nice guy and seems very service oriented. I asked them to please, please, please take good care of the car and they even kept it inside for me overnight. I plan on giving him exceptional grades when the survey comes in. It was the best car service experience I've had and I'm very picky about my cars.

Are you going to show at the meet?

#17 ·
[quote author=Mazda3Mike link=topic=34881.msg510558#msg510558 date=1134592671]
I got mine in Sept. and finally had it in last week for some warranty work. There was something haywire in the ignition cylinder where it wasn't sensing that the key was out of the ignition so sometimes I couldn't lock the car with the key fob. The service writer, Allen, was awesome. He's a real nice guy and seems very service oriented. I asked them to please, please, please take good care of the car and they even kept it inside for me overnight. I plan on giving him exceptional grades when the survey comes in. It was the best car service experience I've had and I'm very picky about my cars.

Are you going to show at the meet?
[/quote]

Damn i didnt realized your car was only 3 months old. What is your team color? I doubt that I will go to the meet. I usually go to the woodbridge meets. Next meet there will be in march.

#18 ·
We have 2 guys from Woodbridge that come. They have 2 Mazda teams- silver and orange. I've used both (orange for pedals that were installed when I purchased the car, silver last week).

#19 ·
[quote author=Mazda3Mike link=topic=34881.msg510578#msg510578 date=1134593456]
We have 2 guys from Woodbridge that come. They have 2 Mazda teams- silver and orange. I've used both (orange for pedals that were installed when I purchased the car, silver last week).
[/quote]

Did you get the 2 years free oil change? When i first purchased the car they assigned me with purple team.

#20 ·
I can't remember if I got 2 or 3 years. I don't know why, but I think they might have given me lifetime on the car because I've lived less than a mile away from the dealership for 23 years.

#22 ·
Excessive brake dust and squealing really aren't a problem. They truly are normal for a car equipped with disk brakes (as long as squealing isn't from a wear indicator or other mechanical problem). However, they do tend to cause people to whine. Usually changing brake pads will fix the problem or applying antisqueal to the back of the bads (non friction side) can also help. The antisqueal helps if the pads are shimmying around in their holders. Different users have different braking habits and the brake pads installed might not meat everyones needs. More than likely the squealing is caused by cheap pads and that is probably why they issued a TSB.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.