Mazda3 Forums banner

Mazdaspeed 3 vs. Sciyobru FR-S/FT-86/BRZ

42K views 79 replies 21 participants last post by  Nissanfan 
#1 ·
My cousin is looking into the car and I can't be happier for him. I have high praises for the car too. He's looking into the Scion FR-S variant. It looks to be a handling dream.

So here's a little sibling rivalry: How much better do you think the Scion FR-S will handle compared to our Mazdaspeed 3? I have no doubt in stock form, the FR-S will handle as well, if not out handles our Mazdaspeed 3. Simply because the physics is there: lightweight, RWD, etc.

A better question is: Do you guys think the FR-S has enough handling prowess to keep up with the more powerful Mazdaspeed 3 (or even lap it :) )

Oh and I'm looking forward to test drive the FR-S whenever he goes to the dealership. :drool:

#60 ·
This forum makes me lol anymore... But yea that interior is horrific. The stereo and climate control knobs are uglier than my dads $500 '95 Mitsubishi galant

#62 ·
[quote author=tigermack link=topic=211234.msg4258949#msg4258949 date=1344633728]
The rear seats look painful as shit to sit in... and get out of.
[/quote]
So, a couple of months ago I was set to place an order for the BRZ with manual & limited trim. I contacted the dealer and was told that they had an automatic on the lot that I could test drive. I carry my bike in the car 2-4 days per week in the summer so interior cargo capacity was a major concern for me. I did some research and found that I would be able to load up a bike, but it would be a compromise; I've watched my dad load his bike into his 12 Mustang and I wasn't sure if it was a compromise that I'd be willing to take with the BRZ. Not something that looks easy to do; strike one.

I arrived at the dealer to find that the car was still on the lot, but was purchased the previous day and was therefore unable to go for a test drive. However, sitting in it was all I had to do to know that it wasn't the right car for me. The rear seats are there for insurance purposes only. At 5'8" tall I adjusted the drivers seat to my preferred position and then tried to sit behind myself. I couldn't do it. Strike two.

To my chagrin, there are no steering wheel controls on the car for all trim levels of FR-S and BRZ. This is a huge omission. Ostensibly it was left out because this is intended to be a 'drivers car' but I disagree with that since 99% of these cars will be used as daily commute cars. I love the radio controls on my MZ3. Below is an image of the BRZ stereo. Notice that the lack of physical audio controls. Have fun looking at the screen while driving. Strike three.

I really wanted to like this car, and I'm pretty sure that I'd enjoy driving it. I just cant live with a compact sports coupe with a spartan interior.

For more reading I suggest Insideline's long term road test blog.
http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/Vehicles/2013-subaru-brz/
http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/Vehicles/2013-scion-fr-s/

#65 ·
Once again, that sucks.

I saw a douche driving a FR-S last night and he was trying to race people so when he and I got to a light he asked if I wanted to race and I said "no my car is slow." He laughed and I said, "I bet that's an automatic." The girl in his car laughed and he flipped out. I can read the lights around here pretty well and I took off before he did. Though I turned at another light I'm sure he would have beat me.

The more and more I see these cars I dislike them.

#66 ·
The FR-S/BRZ is not that great of a car, only thing it has for it is its looks. Either than that its not that special..if you have legs you wont fit in the back. interior is lame and its pretty slow compared to a speed3 (obviously). I would get a speed 3 even if the fr-s was 5k cheaper.

#68 ·
I dont understand the hype of this car. Porsche did the same thing in the late 80's and early 90's. If you want one for a second car, get a mint Porsche 944S2 944 Turbo or 968. It'll be faster, have more torque, handle almost as well, and actually respond well to mods in the 944 Turbo's case.

#69 ·
[quote author=Mangosmoothie link=topic=211234.msg4259335#msg4259335 date=1344743108]
I dont understand the hype of this car. Porsche did the same thing in the late 80's and early 90's. If you want one for a second car, get a mint Porsche 944S2 944 Turbo or 968. It'll be faster, have more torque, handle almost as well, and actually respond well to mods in the 944 Turbo's case.
[/quote]

What about maintenance and cost for parts?

#73 ·
[quote author=AlvinRow link=topic=211234.msg4259181#msg4259181 date=1344699665]
[quote author=tigermack link=topic=211234.msg4258949#msg4258949 date=1344633728]
The rear seats look painful as shit to sit in... and get out of.
[/quote]

To my chagrin, there are no steering wheel controls on the car for all trim levels of FR-S and BRZ. This is a huge omission. Ostensibly it was left out because this is intended to be a 'drivers car' but I disagree with that since 99% of these cars will be used as daily commute cars. I love the radio controls on my MZ3. Below is an image of the BRZ stereo. Notice that the lack of physical audio controls. Have fun looking at the screen while driving. Strike three.

[/quote]
Holy crap I never even noticed that!! Where's the cruise controls even??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.