Mazda3 Forums banner

Is this the ambient temperature sensor?

87K views 486 replies 100 participants last post by  brettrandall 
#1 ·
Hi guys, just wondering if this part is the ambient temperature sensor.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/snoozee_76/detail?.dir=/b475&.dnm=f2a3.jpg

the part in question is located between the lower grill and radiator.

Apparently we've discovered in Singapore that 2 cars so far (one is mine) which does not have the auto climate aircon does have the ambient temperature sensor and the ambient temperature is displayed on the LED. :twisted:

#103 ·
Zoom-Zoom - I've seen several photos of pre-production N. American-spec Mazda3's with AMB --- on the display. A handful of N. American-spec owners have also reported the AMB --- appearing for no apparent reason. This, combined with limck's sequence of events in the Singapore-spec test all reinforce the view that N. American-spec vehicles have the ability to display the AMB symbol and put in digits in that area of the display.

On another note, here's a cut & paste from another source I contacted today (limck, please see if you or anyone else in Singapore can help):

Very interesting.

Well, first and foremost, you should post a message telling docgoku NOT to hook that sensor into his fuse box. Temp sensors work on resistance, not power. If he puts power to it, he will destroy the sensor and maybe burn up something in his car. Bad news.

Other than that, there was only one statement that has me curious. Limck stated:
"I've tried to trace where the cable goes to but it just seemed to disappear into the area where the horn is supposed to be."

This is the most important information we need!! If there is another connector further up the line, then the intermediate harness may be easier to acquire and may, in fact, even have a part number on it. If it is simply hard-wired into the body control module, then it will be much more difficult to modify.

At the very least, see if you can get one of the Singapore people to check the colors on the wires.

Barring being able to actually look at a vehicle equipped with a sensor, looking at an electrical schematic would be almost as good. A complete schematic manual will have the locations of all connectors in the system and we can verify the presence or lack of the temp harness.

Also, check up around your horn area and see if there are any unused connectors. It's a long shot but it might pay off.

Good luck, keep me posted!

#104 ·
in case you guys haven't really taken a close look, the right side of the radio LCD display contains all of the same markings as the J-spec Mz3. This includes the display for the AC, Temp, etc.
I have seen a picture of the full J-spec display but do not have it handy. I am curious to know what it will take to hook all of this stuff up. Like someone mentioned previously, I think it would be adventageous to compare wiring diagrams from both US & J-spec Mz3s.
Just my 2 cents.

#107 ·
I didn't mean in this thread, just in general.

But then again, I could be confusing it now with people that want to rewire the DVD screen. :)

Didn't mean to sound snappy... :bananahump:

#108 ·
evilezekiel said:
DJ Spencer said:
Didn't we cover this already?
perhaps, but reading 6+ pages of postings didn't register anything. maybe i missed it, maybe not. now at least whoever comes into things late will be caught up ;)
Yes, it was covered. But I'll expand on it a bit.

All of the other LCDs are part of the non-N. America automatic climate control. To change over a manual car to automatic will cost you at least $3000 in parts IF you can even get them all. Besides the head unit, you'll need various sensors, wiring harnesses, etc. that will probably never be available on this continent.

#109 ·
Whoa, okay now we are off topic.

EDIT: Nevermind.. I saw LCD, and for some reason sparked back to my prior post of monitor, not the display.

My bad. :)

#110 ·
wongpres said:
Zoom-Zoom - I've seen several photos of pre-production N. American-spec Mazda3's with AMB --- on the display. A handful of N. American-spec owners have also reported the AMB --- appearing for no apparent reason. This, combined with limck's sequence of events in the Singapore-spec test all reinforce the view that N. American-spec vehicles have the ability to display the AMB symbol and put in digits in that area of the display.

On another note, here's a cut & paste from another source I contacted today (limck, please see if you or anyone else in Singapore can help):

Very interesting.

Well, first and foremost, you should post a message telling docgoku NOT to hook that sensor into his fuse box. Temp sensors work on resistance, not power. If he puts power to it, he will destroy the sensor and maybe burn up something in his car. Bad news.

Other than that, there was only one statement that has me curious. Limck stated:
"I've tried to trace where the cable goes to but it just seemed to disappear into the area where the horn is supposed to be."

This is the most important information we need!! If there is another connector further up the line, then the intermediate harness may be easier to acquire and may, in fact, even have a part number on it. If it is simply hard-wired into the body control module, then it will be much more difficult to modify.

At the very least, see if you can get one of the Singapore people to check the colors on the wires.

Barring being able to actually look at a vehicle equipped with a sensor, looking at an electrical schematic would be almost as good. A complete schematic manual will have the locations of all connectors in the system and we can verify the presence or lack of the temp harness.

Also, check up around your horn area and see if there are any unused connectors. It's a long shot but it might pay off.

Good luck, keep me posted!
wongpres, the colours of the wires to the connector are :
1) white with a dark blue line
2) brown with blue dots

I've looked at the wires inside the engine bay which have not been tubed/taped and can't seem to find the same colour coded wires anywhere else so the intermediate harness theory may be true. I'll have a good look again at the engine bay later today and see if i've missed any wires this morning. :)

#111 ·
goldwing2000 said:
evilezekiel said:
DJ Spencer said:
Didn't we cover this already?
perhaps, but reading 6+ pages of postings didn't register anything. maybe i missed it, maybe not. now at least whoever comes into things late will be caught up ;)
Yes, it was covered. But I'll expand on it a bit.

All of the other LCDs are part of the non-N. America automatic climate control. To change over a manual car to automatic will cost you at least $3000 in parts IF you can even get them all. Besides the head unit, you'll need various sensors, wiring harnesses, etc. that will probably never be available on this continent.
From what I know, the auto climate control and manual aircon are all fitted over in the factory in Japan. In Singapore, all the MZ3s i've seen/known (with or without climate control) have the same LCD which have AMB displayed when a sensor is installed.

pic of my LCD here
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/snoozee_76/detail?.dir=/b475&.dnm=2914.jpg

To have 2 different LCDs for different markets doesn't make much business sense as they would need 2 different production lines to manufacture the LCDs and need to segregate out the HUs for different markets at the factory.

#112 ·
Today, I went to see one of the dealers that I'm pretty close with.

Part# G518-61-764 (the one Limck posted), could only be identified on their most global database search. There are zero of these in Canada, but it can be ordered for $54.17cdn. In addition, something interesting was pointed out to me that I never noticed before. The Mazda3 part# Limck posted ends with 61-764; I also previously posted N. American part #'s for the Mazda6 and RX-8 ambient temp sensors, they also end with 61764. I'm now convinced that G518-61-764 is a Mazda3 specific part (i.e. the only vehicle with this part# is the Mazda3 with automatic-climate controls).

I also looked at the Mazda3 shop manual - it's crazy thick! Again, I'm not technical with this stuff, so I had to rely on my source a lot (and what I'm about to say may be the wrong terminology or not necessarily 100% correct). The good news is that me and my source believe we found where the temp. sensor harness would connect to - it connects to some sort of HVAC electrical component/box (again, excuse my terminology). The wiring table for this HVAC box shows all the wire harness inputs and there are around 10 spare connectors that are not in use (the wiring table shows the input letter, but the rest of the columns for that row are blank). My source suggested that in most likelihood, the ambient temperature harness would connect to one of those not in use connectors. As an FYI, for the inputs that are in use, the columns are filled with info such as a description of the component that connector controls, and the wiring harness that would connect to it.

So it's clear where the bad news is. We need someone in a country with automatic-climate controlled Mazda3's to get access to this exact table. For them, the table will identify which one of these inputs is the ambient temperature sensor connector, and which wiring harness is required to connect to that HVAC component/box. There's even a chance this wiring harness is just a songle wire (so it'll be a very cheap mod to do).

So that's all I have, I'm sure I speak on behalf of a lot of N. American-spec owners here when I ask (beg) someone from a country with automatic-climate controls to visit a dealer and try to find out additional info (because there's nothing else that can be done from where I am).

Thanks.

#113 ·
limck said:
wongpres, the colours of the wires to the connector are :
1) white with a dark blue line
2) brown with blue dots

I've looked at the wires inside the engine bay which have not been tubed/taped and can't seem to find the same colour coded wires anywhere else so the intermediate harness theory may be true. I'll have a good look again at the engine bay later today and see if i've missed any wires this morning. :)
Thanks limck for the info. I just posted what I found out today, and based on your info and my info, I'm really starting to think that the intermediate harness theory is indeed true (which is good because the cost of a full wire harness would be way too expensive).

#114 ·
wongpres said:
Today, I went to see one of the dealers that I'm pretty close with.

Part# G518-61-764 (the one Limck posted), could only be identified on their most global database search. There are zero of these in Canada, but it can be ordered for $54.17cdn. In addition, something interesting was pointed out to me that I never noticed before. The Mazda3 part# Limck posted ends with 61-764; I also previously posted N. American part #'s for the Mazda6 and RX-8 ambient temp sensors, they also end with 61764. I'm now convinced that G518-61-764 is a Mazda3 specific part (i.e. the only vehicle with this part# is the Mazda3 with automatic-climate controls).

I also looked at the Mazda3 shop manual - it's crazy thick! Again, I'm not technical with this stuff, so I had to rely on my source a lot (and what I'm about to say may be the wrong terminology or not necessarily 100% correct). The good news is that me and my source believe we found where the temp. sensor harness would connect to - it connects to some sort of HVAC electrical component/box (again, excuse my terminology). The wiring table for this HVAC box shows all the wire harness inputs and there are around 10 spare connectors that are not in use (the wiring table shows the input letter, but the rest of the columns for that row are blank). My source suggested that in most likelihood, the ambient temperature harness would connect to one of those not in use connectors. As an FYI, for the inputs that are in use, the columns are filled with info such as a description of the component that connector controls, and the wiring harness that would connect to it.

So it's clear where the bad news is. We need someone in a country with automatic-climate controlled Mazda3's to get access to this exact table. For them, the table will identify which one of these inputs is the ambient temperature sensor connector, and which wiring harness is required to connect to that HVAC component/box. There's even a chance this wiring harness is just a songle wire (so it'll be a very cheap mod to do).

So that's all I have, I'm sure I speak on behalf of a lot of N. American-spec owners here when I ask (beg) someone from a country with automatic-climate controls to visit a dealer and try to find out additional info (because there's nothing else that can be done from where I am).

Thanks.
wongpres, do you have any idea where the HVAC box is located? I could try to find if there's any connectors/wiring that could give a clue of where the AMB sensor's conenctor should be.

Also, if anyone can tell me how I can access the horn without removing the whole bumper than maybe I can see if the AMB wiring from the sensor ends inside there or not.

edit : BTW, i did notice the part number similarity when it was first posted. thought someone would have noticed it as well and said something abt it.

#115 ·
limck said:
wongpres, do you have any idea where the HVAC box is located? I could try to find if there's any connectors/wiring that could give a clue of where the AMB sensor's conenctor should be.

Also, if anyone can tell me how I can access the horn without removing the whole bumper than maybe I can see if the AMB wiring from the sensor ends inside there or not.
Sorry, I have no idea where that HVAC box is. Try to see if you (or anyone else in Singapore), can get access to some ramps or something, and with the front-end lifted up, try to trace where that wire goes to.

Thanks for all your efforts and info so far.

#116 ·
wongpres said:
limck said:

Sorry, I have no idea where that HVAC box is. Try to see if you (or anyone else in Singapore), can get access to some ramps or something, and with the front-end lifted up, try to trace where that wire goes to.

Thanks for all your efforts and info so far.
I'll see if i can get any access to ramps. Else I'll just have to get down and dirty on my back to seach for the wiring. :twisted:

#117 ·
Sort of off topic - but I just like too say a HUGE thanks to all you guys that are working on this - I eagerly read every post in this thread and hope you can work it out. I had a temp display in my Subie and I really miss it in the 3.

I wish I could contribute but unfortunately I am on the wrong continent :-(

Thanks much!
CR.

#119 ·
After reading about this on the last 8 pages I decided to do my own looking into this.

I'm in Australia and we have a Mazda3 Maxx Sports just a model below the SP23. My cars Manf.Date is 02/04 and I have the harness for it no sensor attached.

Spoke to the guys at the dealer where I got my car from and they said they can get the part for me for about $50 (AUD) with a 3 day wait.

Currently I don't have the AMB section enabled yet. Hopefully when I get this connected it will be enabled. I'll post more about my success this when I get the part in and have it connected.

#120 ·
MISERy said:
After reading about this on the last 8 pages I decided to do my own looking into this.

I'm in Australia and we have a Mazda3 Maxx Sports just a model below the SP23. My cars Manf.Date is 02/04 and I have the harness for it no sensor attached.

Spoke to the guys at the dealer where I got my car from and they said they can get the part for me for about $50 (AUD) with a 3 day wait.

Currently I don't have the AMB section enabled yet. Hopefully when I get this connected it will be enabled. I'll post more about my success this when I get the part in and have it connected.
MISERy, your post just about confirms it - countries where automatic climate control is an option come with the temp sensor harness (even if the vehicle itself has manual climate controls). So for sure, once you connect the sensor, it'll work for you.

But the next time you go to your dealership, please ask for the part # for the harness that the ambient temp sensor connects into (we need it in N. America).

#121 ·
[quote="wongpres]
But the next time you go to your dealership, please ask for the part # for the harness that the ambient temp sensor connects into (we need it in N. America).[/quote]

Alaso, maybe he will show you the shop manual so you can compare wiring specs, or even just show you where the heck the sensor wires go!! Bring a DigiCam! It might save us having to beg you to clamber under your car to follow a little wire!

Thanks
CR.

#122 ·
Damn! I don't read the thread for one day and it explodes! We are so close!

I've put a hold on the Mz6 sensor testing. I have the thing hardwired with a standard 15 amp fuse inline but now that the HVAC (or whatever it's called) box is where the sensor should connect my efforts would've been in vain anyway. Just as wrongpres's source said it would've been dangerous to attempt such testing even with fuses for protection.

If this runs into June I maybe of some help. A work project sends me to London every so often and sometime in June looks to be my next trip. They have the temp. sensor and I already know where two dealerships are thanks to an attempt to get this sensor. However, right now I'm hoping some of our Singapore and assuie friends can get this information.

Damn fine work thus far!

Cheers,

#123 ·
docgoku said:
Damn! I don't read the thread for one day and it explodes! We are so close!

I've put a hold on the Mz6 sensor testing. I have the thing hardwired with a standard 15 amp fuse inline but now that the HVAC (or whatever it's called) box is where the sensor should connect my efforts would've been in vain anyway. Just as wrongpres's source said it would've been dangerous to attempt such testing even with fuses for protection.

If this runs into June I maybe of some help. A work project sends me to London every so often and sometime in June looks to be my next trip. They have the temp. sensor and I already know where two dealerships are thanks to an attempt to get this sensor. However, right now I'm hoping some of our Singapore and assuie friends can get this information.

Damn fine work thus far!

Cheers,
Keep the MZ6 sensor you got. For all you know, it might work perfectly if we manage to locate the where the wire goes to.

I went through some posts and decided on my 2 modes of attack in my search for the wiring.

First I'm going to try to see if I can trace the wiring by looking through the left fog light area. If that doesn't come up with anything, I'm going to remove the left front tire and the plastics to look through.

If that fails as well then I guess I 'd just have to leave it at that. I do not think I'd want to remove my whole front bumper to do the wire trace.

#124 ·
limck said:
From what I know, the auto climate control and manual aircon are all fitted over in the factory in Japan. In Singapore, all the MZ3s i've seen/known (with or without climate control) have the same LCD which have AMB displayed when a sensor is installed.

pic of my LCD here

To have 2 different LCDs for different markets doesn't make much business sense as they would need 2 different production lines to manufacture the LCDs and need to segregate out the HUs for different markets at the factory.
I didn't say they had different LCD units, I said they had different head units, as in the control knobs and buttons and such. All the LCD displays are the same.

#125 ·
Easy way to access the horn area:
Under the front bumper you have three panels held on by small phillips head screws, one big one in the center and two smaller ones on either side. Remove the one on the left side of the car (your left as you're sitting in the car) and the horn will be directly above. You should be able to follow the wiring harness from there.

"HVAC box":
Electrical schematics can be somewhat misleading as to the location of components. I have a bed feeling that the "HVAC box" that is shown may actually be the main HVAC control unit inside the vehicle. I've never known a vehicle with any kind of separate HVAC controller (but there's always a first time). In either a manual or automatic system, the head unit is usually the main controller with actual functions controlled by the body computer.

Wongpres, if you can somehow get them to copy that schematic and e-mail it to me, I might be able to decipher it better. I went to my dealer and they didn't even have any of the Mazda 3 books in yet!! :evil:

#126 ·
goldwing2000 said:
limck said:

pic of my LCD here

I didn't say they had different LCD units, I said they had different head units, as in the control knobs and buttons and such. All the LCD displays are the same.
You're confusing me here. diferent head units? or are your referring to the air condition control?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.