Mazda3 Forums banner

Hard 1-2 Shift on 06 Mazda3 auto

15K views 39 replies 22 participants last post by  bmetin 
#1 ·
I have an 06 5 door s

Only when it's cold out and/or the car hasn't been driven for a couple miles yet, does my transmission shift pretty jerky from 1-2.

Once you drive the car for 10 mins, it shifts fine and smooth and quick. Or when its warm out, it works fine.

Anyone have this problem and did you fix it?

Mine seems to be in between shifts for too damn long, about 1 second and then jerks into 2nd, so I have about 1 second tops where I have no power and its waiting to shift. Which is annoying first thing in the morning(only time it'll do this) and I have to make a left turn into fast traffic.

#4 ·
This happends to the ATX, 1-2 hard shift, I Think there is a TBS or something, but its a easy fix. Get it to your dealer, tell it them your problem and then probably they are going to reprogram your car.

BTW, it has happend to me...

#9 ·
[quote author=06mazda387 link=topic=65303.msg1120394#msg1120394 date=1167116354]
I am having the same problem, so i should go to the dealer and they should fix it?
[/quote]

yes.

(this is why i got a manual :chuckles:)

#11 ·
Just an FYI, the TSB is for the Mazda6, the reflash just resets the settings to make sure. My dealership didn't have anything in the database stating there was a problem, it's common they said. My t-bird did this as well. I've been running synthetic tranny fluid since 10k, no change. Before the car shifts into 2nd, I let off a bit and it shifts smooth. it's all about learning your car.

#13 ·
I have the 2004 Mazda3 with 2.3 and auto tranny.

At about 15000 miles I took it to the dealer with the hard 1-2 shift when cold........They told me there was NO fix.

Now, just last week I took the car to a DIFFERENT dealer and told them I KNEW there was a fix. Car now has 28000 on it and there IS a flash to the ECU to reprogram.
The car now shifts fine...........Don't let the dealer send you away because the is a fix for this.

I'm going to write to Mazda corporate and tell them about the dealer who sent me away when there WAS a fix.............I've bought 5 Honda's in my life before this Mazda, and I can assure all of you that because of this I will NOT be buying any more Mazda's.
There, see what can happen when the dealer (company) does not do the right thing!!!!!

Rick

#14 ·
When I upgraded to a CAI, the 1-2 cold morning shift shock decreased a good amount.

Then again, so did my MPG...

Though I must say, that getting your ECU reflashed will slow down your shifting from 1-2, thus making it slower.

If it's not temperature dependent then this could mean your acceleration from 1st to 2nd gear may be decreased... Just something to think about.

#15 ·
I don't have this problem on my 06 GT hatch, but then again I live in SoCal, so my "cold" mornings are what some of you call a nice spring day! :p

I wouldn't want the reflash because it's got to have some negitive effects on something else. Maybe engine power or a slower more sluggish tranny, I don't know, but I wouldn't want it.

Why not just use the manual mode in the morning, so you could control the shift points and get into 2nd quicker?

Darryl

#16 ·
[quote author=Willy_Will link=topic=65303.msg1119908#msg1119908 date=1167068528]
This happends to the ATX, 1-2 hard shift, I Think there is a TBS or something, but its a easy fix. Get it to your dealer, tell it them your problem and then probably they are going to reprogram your car.

BTW, it has happend to me...

[/quote]

TSB, you mean? :lol:

#22 ·
[quote author=digi0123 link=topic=65303.msg1121263#msg1121263 date=1167184675]it's all about learning your car.
[/quote]
I'd like to respectfully disagree. This was a huge problem on my car (05 5-door ATX). It only happened when the engine was cold, and only for the first couple of shifts. Once everything heated up it was fine. A couple of times the shift shock was so bad that my front tires actually lost traction. I tried everything - leaving it in auto mode, shifting manually, using more or less gas and nothing fixed it. This was absolutely NOT about learning the car, it was a software glitch in the PCU. My feeling is that the torque converter was locking in 2nd gear way too quickly.

Brought it up with the dealer, they reflashed the PCU, and the car's been running fine ever since.

I'm surprised this is still a problem on the 06s.

#24 ·
[quote author=Danger Mouse link=topic=65303.msg1166134#msg1166134 date=1169618264]
[quote author=06mazda387 link=topic=65303.msg1131101#msg1131101 date=1167850753]
I told him what i had read on this forum about the reflash. He told me that all mazdas have this hard shift from 1-2 and there is nothing they can do about it.
[/quote]

bullshit, print out the TSB and take it to them.
[/quote]

+1. They're being lazy. My dealer was well aware of the TSB.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.