Mazda3 Forums banner

Amp under the seat question

5K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  z00mx2 
#1 ·
I'm planning on installing an amp under the seat, to power the door speakers... I looked around some and tried search, I'd like to get some input from others who have done this

What size amp fits under there nicely? (some models of what you have could work ill look it up for dimensions)
Did you just mount it on a piece of wood? or something else...

Any recommendations on a good 4 channel amp, I was looking at a pioneer premier but its 300$ and that seams a little much for a sub hidden away.

I ordered the speakers today, (some info about them)

Front speakers TS-D720C
Speaker Specifications:
Speaker Size 6-3/4" (Oversized 6-1/2")
Design 2-way Component System
Tweeter Design Dome
Tweeter Composition N/A
Woofer Composition Aramid/Basalt fiber composite
Woofer Surround Butyl Rubber
Peak Power Handling 60 watts
RMS Power Handling 260 watts
Sensitivity 88 dB
Frequency Response 30 - 33000 Hz
Impedance (per voice coil) 4 ohms

Rears TS-D6802R

Speaker Size 6" x 8" (also mounts in most 5" x 7" locations)
Design 2-way
Tweeter Design Dome
Tweeter Composition PEI (Polyetherimide)
Woofer Composition Dual layer injection molded matrix fiber composite
Woofer Surround Butyl Rubber
Peak Power Handling 260 watts
RMS Power Handling 60 watts
Sensitivity 80 dB
Frequency Response 30 - 32000 Hz
Impedance (per voice coil) 4 ohms

The sub and amp I have already are Pioneer premier... I like the sound from Pioneer...

See less See more
#2 ·
perhaps there is a difference between the MS3 and the MZ3, but you couldnt fit a box of condoms under the seat in the MS3, so I would imagine that in order to get a amp to fit there it would put out about 10w.

Did you by any chance look under the seat and measure the amount of space you have? (seems to be as obvious of a question as "is your computer plugged in" but appears to be a reasonable question in this case).

#3 ·
I have not yet.. because I was at work at when i wrote this, I was planning on measuring it myself but thought this might have been quicker plus the other question I had on amp suggestions,

I know that if you have the bose system that is where the amp is.. so I know an amp should fit under there :)

#4 ·
I mounted a 50x4 watt amp under the seat last week. I'll take some pics for you. There are a few obstacles: The rear floor heater vent, and uneven floor surfaces. I ended up making risers from bits of 2x4 for each corner of the amp to get a level setup. After screwing them into place, I cut the carpet and removed the backing as necessary to make it look neat and tidy. The carpet covers the 2x4 so it doesn't look ghetto. The amp was approx. 12" by 14". It's an older Audiobahn (don't be a hater, it works and was the perfect size and orientation for my old setup).
There's lots of room down there, just make sure the big electrical connector for the seat doesn't interfere when you slide the seat.

Tip: don't re-connect the battery at all until you put the seat back in place and connect the seat controller. In my 350Z, I plugged the battery in with the seat thing disconnected and got a CEL for the passenger airbag that I had to reset.

#5 ·
Thanks that will help, I just did a quick measurement and I was thinking 13x13 (15 at a max) would be the biggest I should go... but its always different when you lift the seat out.. the pics would be awesome :)

#6 ·
Many people have installed amps under the front seats. There is tons of room up to a 14.75" long amp. If you mount it right, you can't even see the amps from front or rear seats. I've got an eD Nine.1 mounted under the driver seat, and an old school Soundstream D200II under the passenger seat. There is still room for my D100II under the passenger seat for when I decide to go active. Those vents are pretty much useless for the two front seats, so it's not a big deal if you don't have a completely clear path for the vents.

#7 ·
Here's the pics I promised...

You can't see anything unless the seat is moved forward, and it doesn't interfere much with rear passenger leg room. The controls are faced to the rear so I cam make adjustments from the driver's seat while setting gain levels, etc.

I carved the original tweeter housings out to fit these in. The're cheap, but they sound pretty good, esp. considering the OEM head unit.

#8 ·
how did u manage to get out the old tweeters?? mine are popping like crazy and i want to replace them

#10 ·
i'm running the TMA T2-500.1 amp under my drivers seat with no problems.
i don't have pics at this moment but i'll try to remember to get some to give you an idea of how it fits.

#12 ·
from the side

and from the back seat looking under the front. i moved the seat up all the way to show you how it looks.

#14 ·
nine.1 and nine.2 fit nicely. They fit without removing the vents, but I took the vents out anyways for more foot space for the people in the back.

I can honestly say I will own elemental design amps from here on out too. My nine.1 is coming up on 4 years old I believe... nine.2 is almost at 3.

#15 ·
[quote author=WetsuitxNinja link=topic=127990.msg2775843#msg2775843 date=1228007793]
nine.1 and nine.2 fit nicely. They fit without removing the vents, but I took the vents out anyways for more foot space for the people in the back.

I can honestly say I will own elemental design amps from here on out too. My nine.1 is coming up on 4 years old I believe... nine.2 is almost at 3.
[/quote]

Do you have any pictures?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.