Mazda3 Forums banner

Any tricks for faded, worn, dull spots on carbon fiber hood?

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  drcviper 
#1 ·
Just bought my first mazda 3, I'm completely happy with the car, I'll probably post some pics and info some other time.

But for now here's my question.

The car has a carbon fiber hood, looks cool, but its got some areas that look kind of worn. I've heard that this is something that can happen with carbon fiber. Would a good wax and buff take care of some of this or do I need to have a clear coat sprayed onto it or something. Would that even be possible?

I suppose another option would be to have the hood painted to match the rest of the car.

Thanks

#3 ·
Lots of different things it could be - you need to post up close pictures.

If the hood wasnt protected by some kind of UV coating (like clearcoat or some additive in the resin) then the carbon fiber can fade or get splotchy from direct sunlight. If that is the case there isnt much you can do to fix it, other than clearcoating it to prevent further damage or painting it with color to hide the fade.

The previous owner could have mistakenly spilled some chemical on the hood which messed up the finish - not a whole lot you can do there. (But I have heard of some bodyshops that can sand through a thin layer of the resin and clearcoat it to fix imperfections - dont know how true that is)

It could also be stained by sap, tar, bird droppings, etc so giving it a good wash, cleaner wax, buff, polish - a full detail might get rid of problem.

Post up some pics - you may get some better tips.

#4 ·
My first step will be some pics. And second step will be a wash and wax on the whole car. But that'll probably have to wait a day or two as its like 20 degrees outside.

I wouldn't call them major blemishes, only noticeable under direct sunlight at the right angle.

I kinda like the carbon fiber look on the hood, (which I didn't think I would). But I'm certainly not married to it. I'd probably have it painted to match the car before I'd pay to have it clear coated. Assuming the same cost.

#7 ·
try using some rubbing compound..ive had spots on mine b4 and just rubbed em out by hand. carbon fiber is a bitch, u gotta keep it waxed up so it doesnt fade. but def get some pics up so i can c if it was what i was dealing with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.