Mazda3 Forums banner

Sylfex Auxmod Advanced

9K views 41 replies 14 participants last post by  fatejd 
#1 ·
So much have been said about the Auxmod Advanced, I figured a new topic may be in order.

This product was due for release some time last year, but Sylfex experienced huge problems with suppliers and one must remember that they are doing this on the sideline (not their 9-5 job).
A lot of people (me included) have been waitlisted for a very long time now and are waiting patiently for the beta release (which was due last month :).

For me the issue is not WHEN the Auxmod advanced will be available but more WHAT will it be able to do. According to the Sylfex website it will have full support for all iPod's (the main drive behind the advanced). Features include the following:
- iPod is charged while driving
- iPod is fully controlled by HU and steering wheel controls
- Song info (Title, artist, etc) are displayed on the HU display

This last feature is what sets the Auxmod Advanced apart from all other MP3 solutions as no one has been able to do this yet.
However in a statement by Sylfex lately it is clear that this is currently a problem and it might not be available on the first models of Auxmod Advanced (maybe later models??)

The Advanced remote mode has more problems then just that. The code footprint is pretty large, and it in itself is probably an order of magnitude more complex then AuxMod on its own, so it's not exactly a quick implementation. We're planning on releasing AuxMod Advanced initially with Simple remote control mode. That means that there won't be any relevant info on the screen initially.
The burning question for me is this: With more than a thousand people on the waiting list, how much longer must one wait to get a product for which the specifications is not rock solid yet?

This might be a bit harsh, considering the guys at Sylfex are obviously trying very hard to achieve something no-one else has done yet. So I guess the answer is easy: As long as it takes!!

Good luck for all of you at Sylfex and all of us thats waiting in great anticipation... :p

See less See more
#3 ·
Damn, saw this thread and was hoping you were one of the "preselected beta's" they spoke of getting pre-release units last month...

I too have been on the wait list (~August 05) and will wait patiently.

BBCB

#5 ·
#2590...

[quote author=lc link=topic=48226.msg752389#msg752389 date=1149442102]
I want it done right and sometimes that means waiting it out.[/quote]

Absolutely. Not that it would pan out as a long-term solution, but perhaps they could hire on an additional developer/code monkey so this can drop a little faster.

#6 ·
I emailed Eric at Sylfex and here's what I heard back. For the record, I'm WL#2226:

On 5/31/06, Eric Hochwald wrote:

We're working on getting things rolling.  Based on your waitlist number, and the fact that we've got a 5 month lead time on getting connectors for the module is a little frustrating for everyone.

We're about 2 to 3 weeks away from a 500 unit run of AuxMod Advanced (which will take another 3 to 4 weeks).  It's quite probable that we won't get up to your number in that run, and our next scheduled delivery of connectors beyond this is not until September.

If you need something to tide you over, we have a few hundred AuxMod Basic still in stock.  We've had to redesign AuxMod Advanced recently due to some electrical issues, and we have finally sourced a supplier for an iPOD cable that we can use.  We are all lined up once we build and test the current version of the hardware.

It's not the most clear of answers, but that's the best I can offer for you.

#9 ·
My basic came today. I'm happy with it, but only until my Advanced comes.

#10 ·
[quote author=Payne link=topic=48226.msg754286#msg754286 date=1149547232]
So if they make about 500 units every 3 months that puts me at about a waiting time of 15 months.
[/quote]

Well I think that as time goes out production will spead up. I hope anyway or else I might breakdown and get a transmitter for now. Or maybe get the basic and then upgrade.

#11 ·
How do you know your spot on the advanced wait-list? I got an email when the basics were ready that said I was an "early" waitlister in the top 1000, but not an exact number.

I'm thinking about getting a basic now, too. My FM transmitter is pretty crappy and it's starting to bug me. Plus, with a basic, you can plug http://tomtom.com/products/product.php?ID=210&Language=4 into it and get a display on the nav screen! (admitedly for more $$$).

#12 ·
When I got my waitlist email it had a number in there for the queue position. Email someone over at Sylfex and ask. Can't hurt. And if you are in the top 1000, there's a pretty good chance you'll get one in 5 to 7 weeks, depending on the information Eric provided. I'd ask before buying the basic.

#13 ·
Well I think that as time goes out production will spead up. I hope anyway or else I might breakdown and get a transmitter for now. Or maybe get the basic and then upgrade.
I may have to get the basic aswell. Does anyone know how much money you will get back if you send the basic back when the advance comes out?

#16 ·
Payne: If you send the Basic back in good shape, they give you $30 towards the Advanced.

#19 ·
Received this today from Sylfex (Eric)...

Hi Andre,

The last post pretty much sums it up. We’ve just received a batch of parts to make our first small test batch of modules (10 only) of AuxMod Advanced. IF all goes well, we may send 4 or 5 of them to beta wait-listers. The software will take a couple of weeks of effort, as this is a processor change from our previous codebase, but its in the same rage, just a couple of models up, so the changes are not that substantial, but they are still significant.

The main features that we need to implement are the bootloader for the new processor and to port over the iPOD control. Everything is pretty much ready, especially the CarPC stuff. That was ready ages ago. The iPOD compatibility is what has taken this so long.

Please feel free to post this to the forum on Sylfex’s behalf.

Best regards,

Eric
:popcorn:

...in anticipation...

#20 ·
[quote author=Falcon50Driver link=topic=48226.msg780434#msg780434 date=1150952175]
...in anticipation...
[/quote]

+100

Wanting it so bad I can smell the popcorn...

#23 ·
[quote author=Disantinon link=topic=48226.msg785591#msg785591 date=1151248051]
A dealer told me that this fall, dealers will be able to install a MP3 jack in earlier model 3s. I would guess it would be after the '07s come out and they will be retrofitting that solution into the older cars. No idea on cost or features...
[/quote]

I swear I freakin saw one in a model I test drove - it was a blue hatch and it was in the center console area (kind of like the tc) and i just figured all of them had it so I was a bit pissed to find otherwise.

#25 ·
I couldnt wait for a Advanced (waitlist #in the 3000 range) so I got a basic auxmod and love it so far...for $60 even if I pay retail for the advanced its still worth it....Was given a oct/nov expected wait time for my advanced and will probably get one when avail....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.