440K views 1K replies 156 participants last post by  EononCarDVD 
#1 · (Edited)
Reviews by others:
Alejandr0
Jamesberkey

Tutorials:
How To Change Info on Upper LCD for CAN-BUS equipped cars

Hi guys,

I received and installed my D5151 yesterday and here are my initial thoughts. As of this post, the car is in the dealer doing warranty work so pictures will come tomorrow or the day after. PICTURES ARE UP.

Installation and Compatibility

Installation was a breeze like the D5102. The only difference is that you have to screw in the clips that hold the bottom of the unit yourself but it was not a big deal. Also there are more wires at the back of the unit due to the CAN-BUS box so arranging the wires might be tricky (honestly the longest part of the install).

The unit is now totally compatible with the stock BOSE system, no more hacking up wires and splicing them. Also, since there is now the CAN-BUS decoder, the upper LCD screen now works. It will display whatever menu in the D5151 you are in (Home, Radio, GPS, etc). You will still need to do the install trick for the stock info (MPG, Miles remaining, etc) to be retained but otherwise it functions perfectly.

Sound

I don't consider myself an audiophile but the overall sound is improved over from the stock. This is a very subjective area so I will not really dive much into it, but it is an improvement over stock.

Features

I won't cover everything the unit has (which is a lot), but just the main points that is attractive for me.

Here's how the home screen looks like:

Here's a couple of the BT and BT Music:

Bluetooth works flawless. The BT music option is now integrated into the BT menu so don't panic if you don't see it at first. Connection to a device is much easier as the unit will now show you what PIN to use. The layout of the screen is also well-thought out. BT Music works great, just like the old unit. Only negative to report here is that I can't figure out yet how to import my contacts into the unit. I have a Galaxy S3 so iPhone users might not have the same trouble as me.

Here's the new radio interface:

Super improved radio interface over the D5102. The preset buttons are now at the top of the screen, and the unit now has a digital slider with a graph so you can just drag your fingers thru the screen to scroll through the channels. 3 FM modes, 2 AM modes. I haven't played with the RDS system yet so no comment on that for now.

A couple of the GPS and its menu:

Not much to say about the GPS other than it does it's job. I had Garmin installed on my D5102, but unfortunately I lost the SD card with it. I am going to try and make it work with the D5151 again.

The D5102 received an update wherein if you're using both the GPS and music, the music will not cut out when the GPS "speaks." That swayed me from getting a new D5102 after I sold the old one I had when I totaled my car. Not a problem with the D5151. There is a setting now that will let you choose if you want the music to play with the GPS, or have the front speakers turn off every time the GPS voice comes on. And if you do select the mixing option, you can change the volume ratio between the two. Nifty!

The reverse camera mode will now work automatically when you shift into reverse, unless you turn that feature off in the settings. Very handy because you now don't need to search for the 12-volt reverse wire and tap the signal wire to it. Turn the setting off when you don't have a camera installed.

You can now choose between 7 LED colors. Awesome for those with different LED's in their dash, but the amber is a perfect match with the stock cluster. You can also change the background wallpaper of the screen.

I have not tried the iPod interface yet because I don't have any iDevices anymore and the unit won't let you access a mode when it detects that there is no signal from that mode.

The unit also has a TPMS function that will work with the sensors that Eonon is selling. But right now, they are only offering sensors that have a frequency of 433Mhz. Our cars have a 315Mhz system. So if you have the OEM TPMS and you switched to Eonon's, you will have the warning light on all the time in your gauge cluster. It would be awesome if Eonon will make a 315Mhz system so we can keep the stock system still working.

One thing to mention is that this unit is significantly faster when loading. When you switch to the reverse camera on the old D5102, it will take a couple seconds for the unit to switch. The D5151 will do so in an instant. Navigating the menus is also a lot faster and fluid. Also, the unit will now auto-dim when it senses that you are using your headlights.

Conclusion

For the price, you can't beat this HU. Looks like it came from the factory, and the features are great. Worth every penny. If you are looking for an upgrade over your stock headunit, this would be something that is worthy to look at.

PROS:
-Super affordable and packed with tons of features
-Easy installation and OEM-look
-Very nice graphic user interface
-Very fast response when switching modes except for GPS which needs to load from SD card
-Fully functional upper LCD screen for those with CAN-BUS systems

CONS: (not really, more like suggestions)
-315MHz TPMS system to accompany our cars
-included GPS software could be better

See less See more
#4 ·
First you need to turn your key to the ON position. Then with the stock radio in place choose the info you want to be displayed. Then start the install, but don't turn the key and don't unplug the harness on the back of the LCD.

I think 04-06 models have a different design, ie their LCD screen does not have its own harness. If that's the case I would not know what to do as I have an '07.

#6 ·
I did not have any problems. I think it is supposed to be tilted down. There are two slots on the bottom on both sides of the LCD that will mount onto the brackets provided by Eonon.

Also, I updated the first post with pictures and additional review.

#13 ·
I'll be unmounting mine tomorrow to set the info screen lol, gotta go through it again. I'll take pics.
That's very kind of you armanrus! You're a real warm-hearted tech guy, many guys here will appreciate you a lot! :cheesy:

First you need to turn your key to the ON position. Then with the stock radio in place choose the info you want to be displayed. Then start the install, but don't turn the key and don't unplug the harness on the back of the LCD.

I think 04-06 models have a different design, ie their LCD screen does not have its own harness. If that's the case I would not know what to do as I have an '07.
Thanks for sharing this tip armanrus! I think you can include this in your 1st review post, what do you think? ;)

#10 · (Edited)
I finished the installation of mine! I'm surprised because I didn't get instructions but things looked straightforward when I took things apart. Can you PM me a PDF/link to the installation guide?

Did you receive stickers to cover the transport screw holes? I just put a square piece of scotch tape over the holes.

Anyway, the installation was a breeze! I found a good spot to tuck the wires/can-bus box/and ipod cable. I don't have any pics as its dark now but I'll take my camera tomorrow and take a few shots.

Also I had no idea what to do with #1 and #2 on the top diagram, and the black plug on number 6 for the second diagram
http://www.eonon.com/UserFiles/image/D5151-06.jpg

#15 ·
I finished the installation of mine! I'm surprised because I didn't get instructions but things looked straightforward when I took things apart. Can you PM me a PDF/link to the installation guide?

Did you receive stickers to cover the transport screw holes? I just put a square piece of scotch tape over the holes.

Anyway, the installation was a breeze! I found a good spot to tuck the wires/can-bus box/and ipod cable. I don't have any pics as its dark now but I'll take my camera tomorrow and take a few shots.

Also I had no idea what to do with #1 and #2 on the top diagram, and the black plug on number 6 for the second diagram
http://www.eonon.com/UserFiles/image/D5151-06.jpg
Hi Oshiguru, you mean the SW 2 and SW 1 wires right? If so, they're for those cars with AD conversion steering wheel control system.

If your car has the can bus system, you can just leave these 2 wires alone. Thanks! ;)

#11 ·
Hi armanrus, your review is so detailed and awesome! Thanks a lot for your great effrot! :alaugh:

About how to import contact from your phone to the bluetooth phonebook in our D5151, please follow these steps to have a try:
1. After connecting the bluetooth, click Phonebook icon
2. Check if your phone has the access right alert, if so, click Agree.
3. If your phonebook is stored in your mobile phone, please click your phone. If it’s stored in your phone memory card, please click memory card.
4. Then you can check the phonebook via arrows.

If you still can’t make it in this way, please kindly change to another mobile phone to try.

And thanks for your advice to our unit, I'll reflect to our R&D then, thanks!

#18 ·
Hi Oshiguru, you mean the can bus box or the radio antenna? If it’s radio antenna, sure you should connect it.

Hello Eonon, I just would like to verify if my online purchase of the D5151 via credit card has been cancelled already?

As instructed, I was asked to make another online purchase via paypal so that the first transaction will automatically be cancelled. Would appreciate your immediate feedback. Thanks! I made my paypal transaction two days ago and thankfully it was approved and my package is already in transit. I checked with FedEx and the package just arrived here in my country. Hopefully the package arrives at my office today. So excited to receive my D5151... finally! woohoo! :)

more power to Eonon!
Hi mekimeki, congrats for getting Eonon unit soon! About your previous credit card order, yes it’s canceled in our system. And we haven’t actually captured your payment, it’s still in your bank. It will be returned to you in the next 21 days automatically, please rest assured. Thanks for your patience. :alaugh:

#17 ·
online purchase

Hello Eonon,

I just would like to verify if my online purchase of the D5151 via credit card has been cancelled already? As instructed, I was asked to make another online purchase via paypal so that the first transaction will automatically be cancelled. Would appreciate your immediate feedback. Thanks!

I made my paypal transaction two days ago and thankfully it was approved and my package is already in transit. I checked with FedEx and the package just arrived here in my country. Hopefully the package arrives at my office today. So excited to receive my D5151... finally! woohoo! :)

more power to Eonon!

#26 ·
Just posted a Youtube video on the NAVI system!! search D5151 Navigation and you will find it
Hi Mike, many thanks for your video! :smile: Could you please post the link directly here? Since I can't find it for searching "D5151 navigation" or "eonon D5151".

And doesn your video include the EQ screen? Thanks a lot!

#27 ·
Steering wheel controls D5151 for 04-06 SOLVED!!!

I solved the issue of the steering wheel controls not working on my non-CAN BUS 04.

Take the Blue "KEY1" aka "SW1" wire and simply solder it to the Gray control wire. Be careful though, there are two gray wires on the harness, one of which is a speaker wire. The speaker wire is slightly thicker and on the edge of the harness, the correct gray wire is very thin and near the exact center of the harness.

That's it! One single wire is all you need to modify! I took some automatic wire strippers and peeled back a bit of the Gray wire right near the center, then wrapped the blue SW1 wire around the exposed area and hit it with a dot of solder. Wrapped it in electrical tape to prevent any shorts.

#33 ·
I solved the issue of the steering wheel controls not working on my non-CAN BUS 04.

Take the Blue "KEY1" aka "SW1" wire and simply solder it to the Gray control wire. Be careful though, there are two gray wires on the harness, one of which is a speaker wire. The speaker wire is slightly thicker and on the edge of the harness, the correct gray wire is very thin and near the exact center of the harness.

That's it! One single wire is all you need to modify! I took some automatic wire strippers and peeled back a bit of the Gray wire right near the center, then wrapped the blue SW1 wire around the exposed area and hit it with a dot of solder. Wrapped it in electrical tape to prevent any shorts.

Blooms,

Great find! I will be receiving my unit next Tuesday and will need to do this. Did your LCD screen stop working (since we're don't have the CAN-BUS interface)?

#29 ·
Hi guys, do you want car stereo can fit your mazda ride, but doesn’t have to cost too much? Now let me introduce you the V0024 Digital Disc Box Player Special for Mazda, it’s with many features like a head unit except the GPS and DVD player function. But with only $81USD price, it’s a quite affordable option right?:wink:
Check here: http://www.eonon.com/Others/Digital-Disc-Box/V0024.html

More introduction to our V0024 you can check this thread: http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=427321

How do you like this amazing new garget? Any comment is welcomed! :alaugh:

#60 ·
Hi Mike, many thanks for taking video for the navigation! The sygic map works very well! :smile:
Btw, you can submit the link to our website here too: http://www.eonon.com/channel_upload.aspx Thanks a lot!

And if you have other video in other mode, welcome to share with us too! :tongue:

Hello Alejandro, I have a 2009 Mazda3. LCD display works perfectly. Just follow the how-to instructions posted in one of the past threads here. cheers!:bigsmile:

Hi mekimeki, thanks for your nice installation pic! Your D5151 looks perfect in your ride! Congrats!
Btw, welcome to post more pics on our photo channel here: http://www.eonon.com/channel_photo.aspx You’ll have the chance to become a winner! Cheers!

From what I understand, '06, depending on the manufacture date, can go either way. The only way to be absolutely sure is pull your factory radio (it's only 4 screws and takes literally 3 minutes). If the LCD plugs into the car's harness, it is CAN BUS. If the LCD plugs into the radio itself, it's not.
Thumb up for your master theblooms! :smile: Quite useful and easy way to find if the car has the can bus or not!
And if we can check if Mazda in other year has the can bus in this way? Thanks a lot!

#62 ·
Hi krazee, you havenm’t tap the amp wire to the AMP control wire of our D5151 as I mentioned before in this post?
http://www.mazda3forums.com/showpost.php?p=8515649&postcount=26

how come you have a 2gb sygic 2010 map just like in my old D5102?I got my new D5151 yesterday hope i do not have the same maps.Eonon claims it sygic 12 !
Hi Treck, it should be a 4G SD card, could you please tell me your Order No.? So that I can check your case, thanks!

Quite the bummer we have to do this...haven't installed it yet (no friggin' time), but will do so soon. I do wonder however if I have the D5102, if I can just use the harness from that instead and will things work just fine? Also, like the D5102, do we 04 non-CANBUS owners lose the illuminated LCD screen?
Hi Paco, yes everything will still work fine. About the illuminated LCD screen, since the illumination wire is on the can bus, if you want this feature remains, you can pull out this wire and connect it to the positive pole of your car headlight. You can have a try, thanks! :winker:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.