Mazda3 Forums banner

Can't Won't Shift Out of Park

35K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  clunbb9 
#1 ·
So anyway, my car won't shift out of park after I swapped my MZ3 wing to the MS3 wing with the LEDs.
I have since replaced the brakeswitch, swapped all the fuses, and even switched the bulb but the car still does not want to shift out of park. So far I have been using the shift lock override. Any ideas?

#4 ·
A tap of the brake pedal releases the lock. If you pump the brakes slowly, do you hear a click? I think the last post suggests you test this lock with a battery to see if that is the cause. If it works on a battery, the problem lies elsewhere. If it doesn't, that's step one.

#7 ·
I'm referring to the part below.

When you don't have the brake pedal depressed it is closed like so:

When you are pressing on the brake pedal while in park it is open:

To get to this part you need to pull off your cup holder, then the area around the shifter, your shift knob, and finally pop off the shifter bezel. It has a clip in each corner that has to be released.

Having an LED light in place of the original incandescent light should make no difference in the way this part behaves. It's triggered by the brake switch, not the brake lights themselves. More than likely the electromagnet in this part that pushes the safety out to allow you to shift has failed.

#9 ·
Just curious... Is your horn working? The reason I ask is because I blew 2 fuses to the taillights poking around looking for a switched 12v source in the fuse box under the glove box, when that happened, not only could I not shift out of park, but my horn wasn't working. I know you said you switched out all the fuses, but I figured I still ask.

#12 ·
If your horn doesn't work either, then that suggests it's a fuse/relay issue and not a problem with the shifter interlock solenoid itself. I know you said you've checked the fuses, but take another look at them -- all of them, not just the ones you think are related to the brake lights. Don't forget the fuses in the PJB (passenger junction box, located behind the glovebox).

#13 ·
[quote author=DrWebster link=topic=200082.msg4138395#msg4138395 date=1319805283]
If your horn doesn't work either, then that suggests it's a fuse/relay issue and not a problem with the shifter interlock solenoid itself. I know you said you've checked the fuses, but take another look at them -- all of them, not just the ones you think are related to the brake lights. Don't forget the fuses in the PJB (passenger junction box, located behind the glovebox).
[/quote]

Oh, I have taken a look at ALL the fuses. From the horn all the way down to just simply illumination. I think it has to do with a fuse/relay as well but to no avail as this happened almost as soon as I spliced my MS3 wing brake light harness to the 04 harness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.