Mazda3 Forums banner

Mazda OEM oil filter?

19K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  XCNuse 
#1 ·
I thought I'd seen a link on here before as to where to purchase the OEM oil filters online, but I can't find it anymore. I'd rather not drive 40 minutes to the nearest dealership just to get one, much less pay whatever they want to charge. Anybody know the best/reliable place online to buy one? I need it for the 2009 2.0 engine.

#5 ·
[quote author=RexSeven link=topic=186692.msg3942336#msg3942336 date=1298414758]
Wix/NAPA Gold, Purolator, K&N, and Mobil 1 all make good aftermarket oil filters if you're willing to use something other than OEM. Avoid FRAM at all costs!
[/quote]

I've been told the OEM filters are the best for this car. I have bought Bosch before with no issues, and my current filter is a Service Pro brand, and it's been fine as well. But I usually (with most of my oil changes) go with OEM if I can, based on what others have said about it. Always open to being proven otherwise, though.

#9 ·
Just use what you think is good. The oil filter debate isn't dying anytime soon. :lol: If you think OEM is the way to go, then stick with it. In my opinion, I think being consistent with maintenance is at least a little more significant that the type of oil filter. Now there are some filters that I'd just stay away from after reading how they are built, but again, that's my personal opinion.

For the record, my F150 has 100,230 miles on it and for the first 90,000 miles or so of its life, it got oil changes at Wal-Mart with Pennzoil 10W-30 and Fram PH2 (orange can of death) filters, every 3,000 miles (my Dad is/was old-school when it comes to oil changes). Now that I know a thing or two (and have the resources to do my own oil changes), I use Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 10W-30 oil and Fram TG2 (tough guard) filters. Regardless, I wouldn't be afraid to drive across the country tomorrow with that vehicle.

Here's an interesting read for ya

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html

Personally, I use Motorcraft FL2017 filters (I have a 2.3 with the cartridge filter). If/when I switch to spin-on filters, I'll probably use a Fram TG3614 or Motorcraft FL-910.

#11 ·
[quote author=fjaysay1017 link=topic=186692.msg3943360#msg3943360 date=1298489330]
royal purple oil and oil filter is the only best thing to keep your engine from dying.
[/quote]
:slap:
hahahahaha

I use purolator; actually when I went to the dealership to buy a wrench for the filter they gave me a purolator, now I have like 5 sitting around lol

#13 ·
[quote author=fjaysay1017 link=topic=186692.msg3943360#msg3943360 date=1298489330]
Interesting. But no studies in royal purple oil filter ? Some mechanic told me today when i was at pep boys that royal purple oil and oil filter is the only best thing to keep your engine from dying.
[/quote]

Maybe if you have a race vehicle and are sponsored. I know I'd use RP/Lucas Oil/Amsoil if I got it for free/nearly free and it was only for a full-kill race truck.

#14 ·
I have a lot of oil change questions/dilemmas.

My car's at around 42K miles. I've had all my oil changes done at shops. Unfortunately, I've moved around quite a bit. I've had to get a few oil changes on the road, in unfamiliar cities, and now I've been in a new city for the last year+. The problem that creates is having no idea where I can trust to take my car to. I used to go to the dealership 40 minutes away, but they give me a bad/untrustworthy feeling, and it's a bit out of the way. The last shop I took my car to had great reviews online, but it took them 3-4 tries to get the oil change done right. They kept over-filling it. It was really quite strange, actually, as they only ended using like two quarts in the last attempt. Truly a mystery. The oil was perfectly clean, and measured correctly on the dipstick (in the end). Anyway, digression.

Any tips AT ALL for where to get an oil change done? I don't know how to myself, plus I live in an apartment, have no garage or other means of doing it. I have no friends, much less ones who could help me out. I don't trust chain places at all (Pep Boys, Jiffy Lube, etc.). Any ideas?

It amazes me how much a simple oil changes stresses me out, because I know how important it is to the life of my car, but there's so many uncertainties. I never know if I'm using the right filter, or if an oil change was done right (filter was changed, torque was proper, oil was drained properly, etc.), or if I should be doing anything different. :(

#15 ·
[quote author=Chaos link=topic=186692.msg3943605#msg3943605 date=1298503858]

My car's at around 42K miles. I've had all my oil changes done at shops. Unfortunately, I've moved around quite a bit. I've had to get a few oil changes on the road, in unfamiliar cities, and now I've been in a new city for the last year+. The problem that creates is having no idea where I can trust to take my car to. I used to go to the dealership 40 minutes away, but they give me a bad/untrustworthy feeling, and it's a bit out of the way. The last shop I took my car to had great reviews online, but it took them 3-4 tries to get the oil change done right. They kept over-filling it. It was really quite strange, actually, as they only ended using like two quarts in the last attempt. Truly a mystery. The oil was perfectly clean, and measured correctly on the dipstick (in the end). Anyway, digression.

Any tips AT ALL for where to get an oil change done? I don't know how to myself, plus I live in an apartment, have no garage or other means of doing it. I have no friends, much less ones who could help me out. I don't trust chain places at all (Pep Boys, Jiffy Lube, etc.). Any ideas?

It amazes me how much a simple oil changes stresses me out, because I know how important it is to the life of my car, but there's so many uncertainties. I never know if I'm using the right filter, or if an oil change was done right (filter was changed, torque was proper, oil was drained properly, etc.), or if I should be doing anything different. :(
[/quote]

Best bet is just do a local shop and ask them if it's possible for you to watch them while they work on your car. (most of the time, they don't mind in my cases) Regardless if dealerships or chain places, they just do about the same amount of work, but I always recommend going to the dealership for changes in oil. Because, regardless of the amount that you paid, at least they've done it right and don't have to re-do the oil to the amount of 4-5 times.

If you want to do-it-yourself, there's always guide in autozone website that you put your profile of your car and gives out the correct parts for oil weight and oil filter. It's quite easy, or the autopart stores have books for the correct parts. There's plenty of do-it-yourself guides.

#16 ·

[/quote]

Since you have a 2.0 with the spin-on filter, I'd always mark it with something just to be sure the place you went to actually changed the filter. I usually write something that seems pretty meaningless (like a number, I use 524 since that's my buddy's race number), rather than draw a star or happy face or something.

If the place you choose also isn't too far away, I'd suggest removing the skid plate before you go in, that way the people don't have to mess with it. At that point, with no skid plate and a spin-on filter, it's pretty much like changing the oil in any other vehicle.

Also, if you go to a local garage (or heck, even the dealer) and bring your own oil and filter, typically they'll charge you less than $20 for labor to change the oil/filter and give an inspection.

If you don't like the local Mazda dealer, you could also try a Ford dealer or something. Heck, most dealerships around here do oil changes for nearly any vehicle that rolls up the driveway.

Alternatively, I know you said you live in an apartment, but you could also just change the oil yourself on the street. Out of the two apartment complexes that I've lived at, both of them said no auto work on their property, but the streets surrounding the complex are public property, so wrench away! :lol:

One of the complexes that I lived at was in a neighborhood and there were houses across the street, so it's not like it was super busy or anything. The other complex was at the intersection of two major streets, so working on the street there was kind of perilous. :lol: Nothing like removing a snapped shock from under your truck while having traffic zoom by at 45-50MPH just a few feet away.

However, you might want to be sure there are no city ordinances regarding auto work in the street. I know some cities won't let you have a "dismantled vehicle" on public property, but most are fine with it if you're gonna be done quickly.

As far as not knowing how to do an oil change, it's quite simple to do and you'll catch on quickly I'm sure. The first one I did took like 1 1/2 hours, but now I can bang it out in 20-30 minutes, depending on how long I let the oil drain. There are several how-to guides on this forum, and all you really need outside of a basic tool set (with metric sockets) is a drain pan and some way of lifting the vehicle.

Hope this helps you out some

#17 ·
Thank you (both). I never thought of going to a Ford dealership. At least they'd probably be more familiar with the Mazda3 setup than any regular shop or, for instance, a Toyota dealership. I might try that. I do always bring my own oil and filter in anywhere I go, but I'm just constantly worried about things like 1. Did they properly drain the oil long enough, 2. Are they actually using the oil I supplied, 3. Did they change the filter, and do it correctly, 4. Did they remove/replace all parts/bolts/etc. I guess it's all inherent in having to take my care to shops and not doing it myself, though. It's extremely frustrating that some places can't do properly (or will screw you on) a simple oil change.

#18 ·
Yeah, you're right about one thing. I do sometimes wonder about that. When I first went to pepboys because my oil was extremely low when I bought my car (dealer didn't give a shit because it was only within 2k till oil change and inspection) the guy who did my oil change, he was completely confused on how my car works. He even put the entire 5quarts of oil into my car because the dude couldn't read my oil dipstick (I don't blame him) then when I went to my dealer for the 45k service. They knew exactly what to do and was done within 15 mins compared to 45 mins at pepboys.

Here's some things to check before and after oil changes.

What I like to do is, mark your filter with a permanent marker (I like to use pink) and make sure they changed the filter. Also, grab a sample of your old oil (brown) to your new oil (light honey yellow) onto a napkin. Because, I heard most shops, they drain a little bit to see if it's still fresh and stop the drain and pour the amount of drainage back into the engine oil. Not letting you know, it's the same oil you came in the dealer with. I make sure they use my oil and ask for the quart that remains. 2.3L only needs 4.5 quarts for fillup. I'm sure 2.0L needs only 4.25 quarts.

Hopes that help. Don't forget to make your tires to be sure if they rotate it too. Most of the time, Mazda dealers or any other dealers, they charge you for the tire rotation and the oil change is free. I mark my tire to make sure they rotate it.

#19 ·
I'm personally using the K&N spin on filter (now that I've done the spin on conversion) simply for the fact that it has a "bolt" on the end of the filter which I can stick a regular crescent wrench on to break it loose if for some reason I can't get it with my hand. Much easier than using a strap wrench. I have one of the Mazda oil filter wrenches from when I was using the drop in filter, and I ran into at least one spin on filter which it would fit on, however I can't find it again so I just go with the K&N now.

#20 ·

[/quote]Man. I was in the same situation you are in... untill I grew a pair of sacks and done it my self. If you have someone else change your oil, how do you really know he changed the filter? There's only one way to know for sure the job is done right. DIY

The first time I changed my oil, I had no clue on what to do. I then learned the internet provided infinite resources to help you do it. Just dedicate a saturday to change your oil. Get a six pack of your fave brew, your jack and tools, and get your hands dirty! lol

#23 ·
Interesting. But no studies in royal purple oil filter ? Some mechanic told me today when i was at pep boys that royal purple oil and oil filter is the only best thing to keep your engine from dying.
[/quote]

I've used Royal Purple oil and the oil filter on my '04 MZ3. I never had a problem with it and the car felt great.

#24 ·
[quote author=JR_3 link=topic=186692.msg3951957#msg3951957 date=1299216011]
[/quote]

I've used Royal Purple oil and the oil filter on my '04 MZ3. I never had a problem with it and the car felt great.
[/quote]

Yup, I'm about to swith to RP and RP oil filter after my car hits 75k. Prevent future breakdown.

#25 ·
I got the Mobile One filter this time around.

I have another question now. When I got my oil change done (finally, at a place recommended to me), as I watched the guy do it, he had a lot of trouble with the filter. There's that cover, and he was sticking his had up inside that hole of the cover, first to get the old filter off then put the new one on. He struggled for quite awhile to get the old one off, then seemed to have a lot of trouble getting the new one on. Is this normal? Are they supposed to take the cover off? Should I be worried about that happening? It seemed he got it (I finally saw him twisting it on seemingly with ease, once he finally got it in place), and I haven't had any problems in the day or so since, but just wondering if that's normal or if he was doing something wrong.

#26 ·
yeah.. the hole doesn't line up with the filter lol, probably stuck his hands up in there and realized it wasn't at all where it should've been.

Also if he was struggling to get the old one off, you might want to check the casing; mazda uses a strange size, it's 75.6mm filter; I had to run up to local mazda dealer to get the wrench because a 75mm wrench wouldn't work (obviously.. it didn't fit!). And you have to be super careful because I bet none of the guys at that place knew that, and probably no one does except for the guys that work at mazda dealerships (if even they know.. either way at least they have the correct wrench set!) because I had to get a new casing too since mine was worn down to a rounded nub.. so you have to be careful with that too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.