Mazda3 Forums banner

MAF Sensor Cleaning..

38K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  potatoofdoom 
#1 ·
What's going on guys? I posted a problem I was having with my car earlier in the week and every one seemed to think I need to clean my MAF sensor (I did check my wires and they all seem to be intact with no pinching occuring). Tomorrow Im going to autozone and buying MAF cleaner, so I wanted to ask how should I clean it? I've read that the sensor is a delicate part and I dont have $100 to throw around to replace it. Any help would be appreciated. I figure if the cleaning doesnt work then I'll have to just buy another one. Thanks

#3 ·
so if you spray the wires no harm will be done? And just too make sure...the MAF is connected right before the air intake (i have stock) you disconnect the wires, unscrew the screw, pop it out and spray it? Sorry I'm kind of a newb..

#4 ·
[quote author=FuzzySlippas33 link=topic=180887.msg3828320#msg3828320 date=1287090359]
so if you spray the wires no harm will be done? And just too make sure...the MAF is connected right before the air intake (i have stock) you disconnect the wires, unscrew the screw, pop it out and spray it? Sorry I'm kind of a newb..
[/quote]pretty much, yeah. I think there is 2 screws. Do not overtighten and strip them, they do not need to be tight at all (note tightness when removing)

And yeah, just use the cleaner and spray it good, you'll be fine. The spray will clean it off (its essentially just isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol) and then evaporate. Once its all dry, put it back in.

Just DO NOT DROP IT.

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, hopefully cleaning the MAF will solve all my problems. I feel bad for my car with all the abuse its taken from this..

#6 ·
just did this on my girlfriends '04 hatch with 60k miles on it a few weeks ago and it did make a little difference in the "pep" of the engine. mileage was not affected at all though. still getting crap mileage...

can you till which part of the maf was on the intake side? :lol:

#10 ·
[quote author=haste link=topic=180887.msg3828988#msg3828988 date=1287154861]
just did this on my girlfriends '04 hatch with 60k miles on it a few weeks ago and it did make a little difference in the "pep" of the engine. mileage was not affected at all though. still getting crap mileage...

can you till which part of the maf was on the intake side? :lol:

[/quote]

Just want to make sure you and others know, the water drop looking thing is only the IAT sensor. To clean the actual MAF, be sure to spray the cleanup up into the MAF. That is where the tiny wires are that read the airflow.

#16 ·
[quote author=nolatron link=topic=180887.msg4156275#msg4156275 date=1322933134]
ok, so noob question here. Am I supposed to spray up into tube piece sticks down out of the square connector?
[/quote]If you're talking about the part I'm thinking of, shine a flashlight up in there. You should see wires. You will want to spray those.

Just try not to spray anything that is rubber!

#22 ·
+1 this,

If you run a K&N, consider it a maintenance item to pull the intake every so often, spray carb cleaner through the piping to clean any oil that has accumulated, and spritz the MAF with MAF cleaner (do not use anything other than MAF cleaner, can be bought at any Autozone.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.