Mazda3 Forums banner

Code P2187, P2177

36K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  mvl.MS3 
#1 ·
Tonight, after leaving the gas station, my MS3 started to "chug" at rpms lower than 2500. After about 2 miles (just to get it home), the check engine light finally came on. I scanned the codes, got P2187 code and P2177 pending. I checked the gas cap and was on tight. Anybody have any ideas?

I have the MS CAI on, but that is the only mod. This has been on for almost 2 yrs.

I will be taking (or towing probably) to the dealer tomorrow morning, just thought I would check here if anybody else has noticed this problem. Any input would be appreciated.

#2 ·
The latest, but not so greatest....

Reset the ECU and replaced the CAI with the stock airbox. Now, the car will not start. It will fire, but not run more than 2 seconds.

ANY suggestions????????????????

#4 ·
I am fairly sure it is correct. The way I see, it only can go on 2 different ways. I have the wires from the MAF running away from the front bumper.

#7 ·
Fuel pump was not the issue...turns out, the 93 octane pump actually had E-85 in the tank. Used the same pump many times before without issues. E-85 bad!!!
Trying to get the gas station to pay the repair bill; I bet this is going to be fun.

#8 ·
I'm sorry i have to throw a BIG STINK on this thread, i had the same exact problem with my car, they had my car for 6 days figured it was bad gas, though it's different in your case mvl.MS3, it indeed was the first O2 sensor once that O2 sensor was replaced , they reflashed the PCM along with a brand new Fuel pump life has been good to be ever since. Make sure they checked that O2 sensor.... Good luck to you.

#9 ·
Thanks for the info blackbird. so far, everything has been fine, but if something comes up, I will be sure to have the O2 sensor checked.

#10 ·
[quote author=mvl.MS3 link=topic=145729.msg3169233#msg3169233 date=1244561270]
Thanks for the info blackbird. so far, everything has been fine, but if something comes up, I will be sure to have the O2 sensor checked.
[/quote]

Did the gas station pay? I remember sometime last year a station in NJ on the turnpike had some really bad gas and cars were breaking down all over the place after leaving. The news made a huge deal out of it.

#11 ·
i don't know what it was but i drove the car off the lot , The Mechanic cleared the previous CEL which was the P2187 lean bank 1 code. and i was pissed when i found out he cleared it BRAND NEW CAR with a CEL on it if i would've known that i would've bought another speed 3. in anycase it wasn't the gas because they ran new gas through it and it was still doing it even with new gas so that's when i chimed in and said it has to be the O2 sensor thats the only thing that wasn't checked and believe me you, it was some scary crap when i was driving on the interstate and the car Lagged bad almost to the point where the car shut off completely. 92.00 for an oxygen sensor , Well worth the mention when it's covered under warranty, and then when youre done the warranty, go to a local track that does HPDE and then you can hook on with Mazdaspeed and get performance parts at a good price :-D

#12 ·
Did the gas station pay? I remember sometime last year a station in NJ on the turnpike had some really bad gas and cars were breaking down all over the place after leaving. The news made a huge deal out of it.
[/quote]

So far, I did not get anything. Called BP corporate and they are doing their investigation. Just got a call from an insurance guy (on behalf of the gas station) a few days ago. Sounds like it affected a bunch of people. Both have a copy of my repair bills, so lets see what happens.

#13 ·
that's funny, I just got p2187 last week, made an appointment at dealer and car died on the way there.

Bad fuel pump in the gas tank (not high pressure one).

#14 ·
Just received a check for my repair bills from the gas station's insurance company. They handled everything quite well, at least the insurance company did.

Pidass: Sorry to hear about your pump, hopefully still under warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.