Mazda3 Forums banner

How does the 3 handle in the snow?

14K views 59 replies 32 participants last post by  burgmo3 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

This will be my first winter with my brand new car. Unfortunatley I live in a place that gets quite cold and it snows.

I envy the owners that live in all year sunny places!!

Anyhow wanted to know how does the 3 handle in the snow with winter tires?

At this time, I am strongly considering parking the car for the winter......

Please comment.

Thanks!!

#2 ·
I saw TONS of Mazda 3's last time I was up in Canada, so yeah... obviously they can't be that bad in the snow.

I got through last winter on the stock Goodyear RSA's. They sucked, but even with the suckiest of sucky tires I got through the winter just fine. So if you have winter tires I'll bet you'll be just fine!

#5 ·
[quote author=SilverStar32 link=topic=161761.msg3434223#msg3434223 date=1259436565]
Hi Everyone,

This will be my first winter with my brand new car. Unfortunatley I live in a place that gets quite cold and it snows.

I envy the owners that live in all year sunny places!!

Anyhow wanted to know how does the 3 handle in the snow with winter tires?

At this time, I am strongly considering parking the car for the winter......

Please comment.

Thanks!!
[/quote]

I lived in Manitoba and have always had winter tires on previous my cars as well as my mazda3. Winters are def recommended as the stock tires are useless in snow/ice conditions.

#13 ·
[quote author=chickmod link=topic=161761.msg3447086#msg3447086 date=1260225418]
Just don't use the stock tires and you'll be fine :)
[/quote]

That would be exactly what I was going to say.

I slid into a curb with a slight dusting of snow on the road last year. The same day I ordered Dunlop's and had them installed that weekend. I drove on my unplowed street with 6 inches of fresh snow with no problems at all!

#14 ·
Just to update anyone who cares:

I live in Buffalo, NY - so we get -plenty- of snow, and it finally started snowing recently. With my new Assurance Triple-Treds on, my car is a friggin' tank in the snow. I haven't had a single problem yet.

So, for anyone looking for all-seasons that actually do well in the winter, I would recommend them. That's all!

#16 ·
[quote author=whothatchineze link=topic=161761.msg3461915#msg3461915 date=1261106874]
I can't afford different tires for snow :(
[/quote]Will you be able to afford to fix your car if you crash because you didn't have snow tires? Its a good thing to think about - cars are the most expensive thing a lot of us own, its important to keep them in one piece.

#19 ·
[quote author=Cab0oze link=topic=161761.msg3462260#msg3462260 date=1261136052]
[quote author=whothatchineze link=topic=161761.msg3461915#msg3461915 date=1261106874]
I can't afford different tires for snow :(
[/quote]Will you be able to afford to fix your car if you crash because you didn't have snow tires? Its a good thing to think about - cars are the most expensive thing a lot of us own, its important to keep them in one piece.
[/quote]

Well, if chains will do the same thing, can't I just put those on instead of getting a whole set of new tires just for one trip into the mountains?

#24 ·
[quote author=whothatchineze link=topic=161761.msg3459048#msg3459048 date=1260961649]
I'm going to go snowboarding soon and I have to take my 2006 Mz3. I don't have winter tires, but will chains have me on my way without worry or fear?
[/quote]

Just keep in mind that with cables on, (hopefully you got cables and not chains otherwise your rims will be fuct up quick) your car will be alot more prone to oversteer since the rear tires wont have as much traction as the fronts. Ive thought about snow tires for some time, however the 70 miles before I even hit snow makes it seem like I would just wear them out on socal freeways instead of up in the mountains. Ive got kumho AST's and they have served me well, im going to probably be getting another set for my "winter" set of wheels.

For you out of staters CA requires chains on anything but 4x4 or awd when there is pretty much any snow on the ground, CHP has checkpoints and will turn you around if you dont have them on.

#25 ·
My 3 has the stock 17's, and it is not good at all in the snow. It's possible (but not great) to drive it in the snow on all season tires, but it totally depends on how old the tires are. By the time you get to 50% tread, it's starting to get dangerous. Once the sipes are worn off the tires, it's like somebody spilled a bunch of ball bearings on the road.

Every all season tire will start to lose it's snow traction early in it's service life, but I've never driven a car that's as bad on the snow as a 3 on worn down 17s. If you get a lot of snow where you live, definitely get winter tires.

#26 ·
I learned this week that with some decent tires the Mazda3 is a tank!! I was caught in the heart of the blizzard that hit theeast coast and dropped 25" here. I was climbing a mountain here that has a 7% grade and swirving through stranded and abandoned cars. Had to get off the beaten path once and got completely stuck. But once I got back on the beaten path I was ok. On the Climb up I passed a speed and sedan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.