Mazda3 Forums banner

Speedo not working "" HELP"

41K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  X Squared 
#1 ·
Hi guys I’m having some problems with my 05 Mazda 3 2.0L
The speedometer doesn't work, since I got the car used it was like this, before it sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. Now it’s completely stopped. The car kind of hesitates and I feel a little power loss sometimes as if there is a shortage somewhere, like it’s not getting enough electricity.
And not to mention that the power steering only works for the first 2 minutes or so after I start the car. Then it sometimes decides to work and then it stops again.
I swear I've never had so many problems with my Honda's
Anyways I like this car and would like to fix its problems.

Please help if you've had similar problems or have any ideas.

Thanks in advance

#3 ·
well if you havent done this yet...

check all fuses
check all relays ("big fuses" under the hood)
check the electrical connector panel under the glove box (lots of connectors. unplug them blow out any dust and reconnect)
check electrical connectors in the engine bay
check the battery connections for corrosion etc.

#4 ·
[quote author=biking4jesus link=topic=167310.msg3550910#msg3550910 date=1266385829]
well if you havent done this yet...
check all fuses
check all relays ("big fuses" under the hood)
check the electrical connector panel under the glove box (lots of connectors. unplug them blow out any dust and reconnect)
check electrical connectors in the engine bay
check the battery connections for corrosion etc.
[/quote]

Okay ive checked and cleaned the battery terminals already no difference, but once i disconnected the battery to add more grounding wires. the car was fine for 3-5 days, all the lights off, and then everything started showing up again. any ideas? that sounds fishy

#6 ·
My opinion - which really doesn't mean much -

GET A CARFAX!!!

I think the next step is to get the history. Since the car is used. I got one when we bought our 04' Mazda 3. Good thing too. A buddy of mine bought a Honda used, car stopped running on the Mass Pike, come to find out the car was in Katrina... Crazy things started happening after the electrical issues on the pike.

GET A CARFAX!!!

#7 ·
[quote author=andrew1501 link=topic=167310.msg3553603#msg3553603 date=1266534646]
alternator? i would say its between the shitty battery or your alternator is going out.
[/quote]

shouldnt the alternator die by now? its been like this for the past 6 months that ive had the car.

#8 ·
I don't know if these Mazdas have them or not but I'v had a simalier issue with a chevy in the past it turned out to be the fuseable links on the main power wires coming from the starter, they tend to rust inside the housing then they sometimes work and sometimes not causing major problems. I just ended up cutting them out and soldering in wire problem sloved, but you should replace them with more fuseable links mine was just a winter beater.

#9 ·
[quote author=sport3 link=topic=167310.msg3555114#msg3555114 date=1266618467]
I don't know if these Mazdas have them or not but I'v had a simalier issue with a chevy in the past it turned out to be the fuseable links on the main power wires coming from the starter, they tend to rust inside the housing then they sometimes work and sometimes not causing major problems. I just ended up cutting them out and soldering in wire problem sloved, but you should replace them with more fuseable links mine was just a winter beater.
[/quote]

so some wires coming out of the starter? thats where i should check?

#13 ·
ok is ur ABS light on ?
when one of my ABS lines broke off.. my speedo wasnt working.. neither was my power steering....
please check.
if u had ABS lines (sensor lines) issues before

#14 ·
The speedo works with the sensors at each wheel for an abs car. (I think so because if you don't have abs you can't do the speed 3 swap for this reason). On a non ABS mazda3 it's connected to the tranny.

They work differently so it would make sense why your's stopped working and signaled an ABS light (ABS sends out it's own codes like a CEL, the light also means it's deactivated)

Dunno if the OP has ABS or not though.

#15 ·
I'm not sure if this will help any but about a year ago I had a similar issue...not for as long as you had your problem, mine was for a day.

it turned out that the top pulley wheel that holds the tension on the serpentine belt (i believe that's what that belt is called) busted off causing my belt to be loose.

I know that's pretty extreme from what you may be experiencing but just an idea and another thing for you to check.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.