Mazda3 Forums banner

Melted Tail lights

20K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  jeffthechef 
#1 ·
got a question guys.. I was looking if any of you had a problem with your OEM tail lights ( Not Led) from a 07-09 hatchback.?? The lenses or the Inside of the tail light... seems to be melted and now I can't even take the bulb out..... any help.??

#3 ·
all the red part inside the tail light melted pretty much... I dont know how.. I just noticed cuz my friend was driving behind me and he told me he can only see half of the red light on.. so.. I waited until the next morning to check it out.. and I noticed that it is melted some how inside the tail light.. and well its both of them... but I cant take the bulb out .. to change it now that it does not even work.... So I was wondering if any of you has ever had this problem or even heard about it....???

#7 ·
awesome news.

the only somewhat similar story I remember is from somebody who left the hatch open on a hot summer day and (apparently) the sun heated the lights up enough to melt some of the plastic.

#8 ·
I have the exact same problem with my 2007 hatchback. Top of driver side tail light (red casing that covers the bulb) has a quarter sized hole that has melted away. Passenger side is slowly showing signs of melting in the same spot. I'm passed my warranty, but this is obviously a manufacturers problem. Curious to know how many others have had this happen and if the dealer fixed (if outside of warranty).

#9 ·
#11 ·
Me and my friend have the exact same issue, on our 2007 hatches, i think its a combo of hot summers and laying on the breaks at redlights... really sucks my are so gone melted i need to but new ones now, thinking of getting the "Redlines LED Smoked" breaklights but apprently they wont fit the 2007, only 04-06... *hijacks topic a lil* sorry... but yeah its very common where i live to see that on mazda3 hatchbacks

#13 ·
Hey guys,

I don't have a Mazda 3, but I was searching the internet because my 2009 Mazda 6 has the same problem. Both tail lights are starting to melt around the red cover as well as a bit of the silver inside the housing. I am 10,000 miles over my manufacturer's warranty, but I have extended warranty. It doesn't cover everything, but the dealership said it might cover the tail lights depending on what the issue was. For anyone that had theirs taken in, did they tell you what caused the problem?

#14 ·
I also have this problem. I just purchased a used 2008 5-door, and noticed that the tail lights are melted as well. About 1/3 of the red on each tail light is gone.

I have two options, and I would be very grateful for any opinions or insights you can offer.

1: I purchase new tail light lenses (about $100 apiece at Rock Auto) and swap out all the bulbs for LEDs from vleds.com

2: I have heard that there is a tail light assembly available that already has LEDs pre-installed, specifically designed for the 3 5-Door. Is that replacement a simple drop-in? Can an LED tail light assembly be used in a car that came from the factory with 7440 and 7443 halogen or incandescent bulbs?

Thanks for any information you can offer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.