Mazda3 Forums banner

How To Install Cargo Net-Mazda 3 (Sedan)

14K views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  lrtman 
#1 ·
How to install the cargo net for a 2007 Mazda 3, 4 door sedan

Tools needed:
5/16 or 8mm drill bit
flat head screw driver

1: Remove the existing clips in the “trunk end trim” plastic interior piece:

these are where the t-anchors will be going.

2: Remove the rubber trim around the trunk end trim. Remove the trunk end trim plastic piece completely:

be careful not to bust the plastic clips which hold this piece down – be easy with it and take your time. This piece needs to be pulled upward not outward.

3: Now time to use the drill bit and drill the existing holes bigger in the top holes (metal)

4: The same thing needs to be done on the bottom holes however this is only plastic (part of the carpeting).

5: Insert the rubber grommet which came with the flat end t-anchors into the bottom holes in the plastic (carpet).

6: Reinstall the trunk end trim piece back on the vehicle. Now screw the top t-anchors in threw the plastic and into the metal (do not strip them). Also you may need to slightly drill the plastic hole to be a little bigger.

7: Now screw the bottom t-anchors into the bottom rubber grommet which you installed into the carpeting. These will take a little bit of turning to tighten. The idea here is for the rubber to flex and expand behind the carpeting causing it to be harder to pull out.

8: This is what it should look like – now just put the rubber trim back on and put the cargo net in.

See less See more
#6 ·
i was replacing the tailights in mine today and was messing around with my cargo net stuff..... and im terrified to know that THAT is how its supposed to be installed.... my rubber grommets are collapsed to the size of a lock-nut. I ended up adding some washers and just sticking in behind the plastic pannel to hold the bottom ones- theyre installed pretty securely now and dont seem to wanna pull straight through the thing. Whoever installed the net originally @ the dealership put the bottom ones in at a ridiculous angle- i think thats what caused the deformation originally.

#8 ·
Folks,

I just joined this group so I could look up things like this. And, thanks for the instructions. I didn't follow these exactly, because the rubber grommet and washer go behind the plastic completely (not reset). But, I did need your instructions about taking off the plastic molding. Still, I broke one of the attachments. I must say, this setup is stupid. I expected addiing a cargo net would take about 2 minutes, not turn into this crazy production that required me to take apart parts of the car. Anyway, thanks for the great pictures.

Eric

#10 ·
I want a Cargo Net so bad, but taking that Trunk End Trim thing is a bitch! I was fooling around my car, and was trying to do something and wanted to take that piece off and for the life of me could NOT do it. So, seeing as that piece needs to be taken off, guess I wouldn't be getting the cargo net :(

#14 ·
I'm about to install the OEM cargo net in my Mazda3, and I was wondering if someone could post a pic of where the bottom two holes are. I can't see the pics in this thread. All the install guides in this forum mention they're in the carpet, but I couldn't find them. Only 'bottom' holes I'm able to find are in the plastic trim piece. Thanks in advance.

#15 ·
anybody know a price on the cargo net? i was thinking about just make a nice looking one out of random net and bungee style cord junk myself if they too much. but i need to know measurements.

and i need ur pictures to work again so i can see where screws and crapage goes.

edit nevermind, found it online, 40bucksish, meh cant decide right now if its really worth it, but maybe. hooray complacency haha

#19 ·
[quote author=theaop link=topic=65291.msg4191253#msg4191253 date=1330063491]
[quote author=lrtman link=topic=65291.msg4183086#msg4183086 date=1328633872]
Would it be possible to re-upload those pictures? Cargonet being delivered tonight -- these pictures seem like they would help.
[/quote]

Where'd you buy it from?
[/quote]

Mazdaparts.org

Got it installed easily. Wish those pictures had been posted, though...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.