Mazda3 Forums banner

Problem: (Long) Crank Times - Bad Fuel Pump

30K views 173 replies 51 participants last post by  Pseudo2 
#1 ·
Anyone have long crank times after a few hours? If mine's sat overnight it seems to take alot of tries before the engine turns over in cold NY. Even if its only been a few hours, it takes longer to start. I guess I'm spoiled, but I'm used to about half a second before the engine turns over, especially in a new car.

EDIT: Title

#2 ·
I had the same problem on the first week I got my car. I brought it back to the dealer right away, they did some test for me (can't remember what's the test called) and recharged the battery. Now the problem seems to be gone.

#4 ·
I noticed on my Jetta, when I got her new, that she hesitated to start as well. I initially thought it was the battery.. come to find out I used too high of octane gas for the break in.

#5 ·
Made an appointment with the dealer, can't be checked until the 23rd ... there was a thread about someone's battery dying about a month ago. Even though mine's at 200 miles already, overall driving time is under 5 hours probably - batteries recharge when coupled to an active engine, so maybe its still low?

Octane, I dunno, I'm still on my first tank from the dealer, I have no clue what they put in :roll:

#6 ·
Typically, its good for the first 1k miles to use the lowest octane. Why? So the motor is able to fully burn all the fuel in the chamber.

Thats what I heard, and after my Jetta hesitated a few times, Im a believer.

#8 ·
I blew the whole damn thing...

Well, I guess I'm just fueling the fire (no pun intended).

I've had this problem since the day I drove my car off the lot (Dec. 20). I took mine in for service today, although Mazda couldn't replicate the hard start.

While they couldn't replicate, they did load test the battery, sure enough it failed. The replaced, it passed all tests. I drove it off the lot, went 4 miles, car sat 30 minutes, trouble turning over.

I've been using premium since the third tank of gas (was 87 for first, 89 for second, 91/92 on the last two tanks). That could be the culprit by some accounts.

I also have a butt-load of soot/cabon deposit on my exhaust tip.

My "other" thought - this car uses the electronic keychip passive disable system. I don't think that the chip registers in time for the engine to crank, so it just sits there - but that could be a culprit of the battery too.

#10 ·
Re: I blew the whole damn thing...

DJ Spencer said:
My "other" thought - this car uses the electronic keychip passive disable system. I don't think that the chip registers in time for the engine to crank, so it just sits there - but that could be a culprit of the battery too.
Easiest way to find out: Turn the key quickly and try to start the car. Yes, Ive already done it (on the test vehicle... not mine, you crazy?!?) and it doesnt seem like there is. I could be wrong though.

On other cars that have keypass or "chips" (really its a resistor on GMs) they dont start if done quickly.

#11 ·
Like I said

It was just a thought - and thinking back, I've actually turned the key so everything lights up, let it sit 5-10 full seconds, then tried to turn it. Still no go in some cases.

So I never should have posted that. :oops:

#12 ·
Hmm... that sounds to be a big problem.

Ive noticed some hesitation when starting, the next morning. It has been rather cold here though, and that seems pretty normal. Cranks for no more than 3 full seconds.. and its never had a problem yet.

On really warm days, my old GTI used to run like a charm. On cold days, damn thing wouldnt even crank.

#13 ·
Oddly enough...

It actually has dropped below 30 the last two nights here (hey, in San Jose - them's fightin' words!), and the darn thing starts right up in the morning. But otherwise, it's been 40+, and that's when I've really had the trouble.

It's also been wet.... Very, very wet. I think I've had 5 dry days since I bought it. One day brought us flash floods - up to 1 inch per hour of rain.

What I can say - the car handles great (for me at least). I was pushing 70-80 MPH in the rain, and had no noticeable loss in traction control - I can only wait until it dries up! Very noticeable difference from the 2002 P5.

We shall see if this turning issue carries on though - since the computer won't register the problem, and the dealer can't replicate, I'm SOL for now. But it looks like a few others are in the same boat.

#14 ·
I loose traction all the time. Actually... everyone in neighborhood does.

Today, on my way out of my apt complex, I ripped a 4 foot (approx) burnout on accident. My next door neighbor was cracking up and gave me all kinds of shit about not knowing how to drive a stick.

Bastard. :p

#15 ·
vaBooM said:
My next door neighbor was cracking up and gave me all kinds of shit about not knowing how to drive a stick.
Well, I grew up on a stick, and have driven quite a few in my hayday.
- '90 Honda CRX
- '88 Mazda RX-7
- '96 Mazda Miata
- '96 Honda Civic EX VTEC
- '01 Honda Civic EX VTEC
- '02 Acura NSX
- '02 Mazda P5
- '02 VW Beetle (non sport, but hmph..)
and of course...
- '04 Winning Blue Metallic Mazda3s 5-Door

The '04 has been the smoothest ride out of all of them..... Although the turbo in the RX-7 was more entertaining. ;P

vaBooM said:
Yes.. He is.

#16 ·
Used to work for a 12v audio company enabled me to drive a SHIT load of sticks. From the wicked Geo Metro to a Volvo semi-truck. Eh those were ok... until the damn Mexicans come with the 15" wide wheels.

Then working for the infamous BloJack (LoJack for those others) got to drive Aston Martins, Jags, Benz, BMW and one time... probably be the only damn time I ever drive one: 1988 Ferrari 512TR.

When that thing revved... it gave me chills. I will miss her.

#17 ·
Back to topic since its something that I've been playing with for a few weeks:

I sat in my car 3 days ago and TOLD it that it would be going into service on the 7th if it didn't straighten up! Sure enough, it's working fine now!

Also, however, I started cranking differently. Press down the clutch fully for 1 second and then quickly crank the car; wait no longer. Started in under 1 second without a flaw 6 of 6 times yesterday and once this morning after sitting outside in 18F for 10 hours. Hopefully this fixes the problem beyond the 7th!

Before, I was doing what you were doing, holding the clutch for 5 seconds then cranking the car only to be dismayed by the rediculous crank times (perhaps I was flooding the engine somehow? though I don't know how holding the clutch down longer would accomplish that).

#18 ·
Doesn't make sense...

I know that if you hold the key longer than 4-6 seconds, or if you press the gas at any point, the computer thinks it has flooded and cuts the fuel line, hence no turn over.

But I can't imagine that the clutch would be the culprit. I will try that this afternoon.

Do you start with the car in nuetral or first? Since I don't park on a hill, I'm always in nuetral.

But yes, after my car went through service, even after the battery failure and replacement, I'm back to the same thing - including the hideous rattle in my passenger door.

#19 ·
Seems that most of you are experiencing this on manual transmissions right? Is it also an issue for any owners of automatics?

#20 ·
Car started with the parking brake engaged and in neutral. This seems to be a manual issue only and even then, I have only heard the same complaint from about 3 people.

#21 ·
rpc180 said:
This seems to be a manual issue only and even then, I have only heard the same complaint from about 3 people.
I like to complain, it's human nature for me. And much easier than doing anything about it... :mrgreen:

#22 ·
I know we have this running around on a few random threads - but since it directly relates to this issue, I'm posting it here first (that and I can't find the others right now). Remember, I've had crank issues since I took it off the lot:

I originally took the car in for a crank issue two weeks ago (Jan 6). They couldn't replicate, but they did run the battery load test and it failed. The replaced the battery, but I continued to have the problem (much worse too).

Just took the car in again today (Jan 23) and they were able to replicate the problem. Tech notes:
Did fuel pressure failed systems did not hold pressure call techline talk to bob ref#3xxxxx ok to replace fuel pump cso parts
LF66-13-35X Pump&gage, fuel warranty

A few others have finally narrowed theirs down to the fuel pump as well. Hope this helps.

#24 ·
Tiptronics/sport shift can start in second gear too. Or at least my P5 did, I'd assume they are all that way.

Actually, very handy if you ask me. It's a lot easier than in a MT to do it.

#26 ·
starting

I have 250 miles on my new Mazda3s. Lately it is taking a long time to start. It usually takes 3 seconds (of turning over) on the second try to get it started. I got gas for the first time and accidently used 92 octane instead of the 87 recommended...would that make a difference? I love this car but the starting problem is pissing me off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.