Mazda3 Forums banner

Vibration at 60mph impossible to fix!

53K views 29 replies 21 participants last post by  xxSlidewaysxx 
#1 ·
I'm surprised I still haven't given up on fixing my vibration issue at 60mph highway speed.

These are ALL the things I've done:

- Front rotors replaced
- Tried 2 sets of brand new tires
- Balanced all 4 wheels, WITH HUNTER ROADFORCE
- Alignment completed
- With or without spacers, the car still vibrates
- With or without plastic or metal hubcentric rings, the car still vibrates
- Wheels are checked by wheel shop and is not bent nor damaged
- Wheel bore is not damaged
- CV boot checked and is fine
- Inspected by Mazda

Here are some interesting facts:

- Another car shop put OEM Mazda 3 wheels with brand new aftermarket Kumho tires and there are still vibration.
- Last time when Mazda inspected, they tried 4 OEM wheels with brand new aftermarket Toyo tires. 2 of them caused vibrations, 2 did not ON ONE PARTICULAR ROAD. Read below.
- I noticed that the car vibrates whenever it decides to. Why? Well I've tried driving on the exact same road, at the same speed and one time it vibrated a lot and the other time it did not vibrate at all.

Here are the possible things that I may still try. Please throw in as many suggestions as possible:

- Rack and pinion. One technician suggested I get Mazda to inspect and tighten my rack and pinion a little bit to see if that may fix the issue.
- The shocks are done? Last time I brought it to a shop for alignment recently, they did mention my front left shocks and springs is a little bit damaged, though not to the point that it needs a replacement immediately. BUT, could that cause the vibration?
- Control arm
- Steering tie rod
- Steering wheel?! It doesn't seem that loose to me.

I got a question for all. My steering wheel wants to instantly drive right even after an alignment on the highway. What could that possibly be?

I have a 24k type service coming up (72k on odo) and the reason why I posted this is to get as many suggestions as possible for diagnosis. Last time when I brought it to Mazda, I just told them I have vibration and they spent 3 hours trying to balance the wheels and stuff which I have already done with 3 separate shops and have not fixed the issue. IMO, they fluked the Toyo tires in that one situation and just sent me away. SO this time, I want to actually have a list of things I want the dealership to check during my big service and see what they think instead of blindly telling them to inspect for vibration.

3 months and counting, but I know I will find the solution one day. Please help me figure out the impossible. Thanks in advance!

dL

See less See more
#10 ·
You can most certainly check the mounts. But I noticed the only thing you did not mention is the wheel bearings.

Also our car's rear susp is quite advanced as it is a multi-link subframe setup. Body damage or damage to subframe whether the sub frame mounting points etc. could cause steering to 'wander off' on it's own.

Jus my $0.02

#13 ·
I am experiencing the same issue too.. went to 3 different tire shop to have the wheel re-balance. When i reach 100km/h. the car start to vibrate. same road everyday. sometime vibrate more.. sometimes less. I got this issue after I install a set of JDM Mazda6 18in rims. I'll bring my car to service tomorrow for oil change and I'll ask the tech to check it out.

#15 ·
My motor mount is inspected and readjusted. It lessen the vibration a bit. However, i'm most certain it's shocks now since I have inspected all steering components and tires and wheels already.

In fact, i am going all in for coilover. Update you guys in a few weeks when I get it. Wish me luck.

dL

#17 ·
[quote author=scballs13 link=topic=174374.msg3712575#msg3712575 date=1277851923]
Readjusted? So it didnt need to be replaced?
[/quote]

I don't know if you or your mechanic has seen this http://www.finishlineperformance.com/pdf/mazda3/bulletin/03-001-07-1823.pdf might help, I just found this bulliten while researching my cars issue. have yet to do any fix so cant comment on this repair at all.

Good luck and keep us posted!

#18 ·
[quote author=cb750r link=topic=174374.msg3756810#msg3756810 date=1281376970]
[quote author=scballs13 link=topic=174374.msg3712575#msg3712575 date=1277851923]
Readjusted? So it didnt need to be replaced?
[/quote]

I don't know if you or your mechanic has seen this http://www.finishlineperformance.com/pdf/mazda3/bulletin/03-001-07-1823.pdf might help, I just found this bulliten while researching my cars issue. have yet to do any fix so cant comment on this repair at all.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Good find! Back in the early 1980s, my brother had a 240D Mercedes (stick shift) and he had an annoying engine vibration at highway speeds and the fix was much the same. (Loosen the mounts, shake the engine and re-tighten).
[/quote]

#20 ·
I have had the same problem forever now it seems, and I too have changed all four rotors "very expensive after market rotors", new tires, alignment and still have the problem. Ive been told that I should try changing the wheel bearings, so that's my next fix. Ill let you know how it works if you don't figure it out.

#23 ·
I know what the problem is i had the same problem with my mazda 3 in the highway i would hit 60 pr 65 mph an it would shake like crazyy well i changed a lot of things exept the most commong one the ''disk,the break pads,and the breaks'' when they wear out is not basically balanced well an he faster the tire goes the more it shakes because it has bumps that you cannot see woth the naked eye i hope this helps if you change it an it works let me know how it went.

#24 ·
i was going to say it can be the tire on one of the sides. my tires do it sometimes.

#25 ·
ooh ooh! i got some new ones!
you probly have stock springs, but if you have coilovers your spring rate might be a little higher on one side, that will cause the wheel wanting to turn after alignment. thats sorta along the lines of suspension damage though. but an alignment shop wont notice a difference in springrate unless they rock, and know what they are looking for.

for vibration at high speed, id try aerodynamics.
all of your under car sheilds in place? theyre important yaknow...

there should be one between the front bumper and the core mount, then a cover plate that covers the engine, from the radiator core back.
there should also be plastice splash guards in both of your wheelwells.

#26 ·
here's one from the old fart. put your car on a good car lift and start the car put it in third or forth gear(wheels off the ground about a foot or so)have someone hold the speed at 55 or 60 and look at the rotation of your tires first the the rotation of your rims.(BE SURE TO WEAR PROTECTING GLASSES)slow the speed down untill you can see the way your tires are rotating this may or maynot help but i found out that after hitting a two inch concrete bump on the road it busted both front steel belts in the tires and blew out a rear shock and i was only going 30 mph!replaced the rear shocks and getting new front tires soon .hope this helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.