Mazda3 Forums banner

wiring footwell LED's(WITH PICS)

11K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  dkswim 
#1 ·
ok, so i've used the search bar numerous times, and still cant find any write ups or anything on wiring footwell LED's. any help, or am i just gonna have to free ball this one?

#2 ·
Re: wiring footwell LED's

i was thinking about doin the same thing to my 3

i wasnt thinking it would be too hard and havent bothered looking it up but you should be able to buy toggle switch and just tie everything into the fuse box...

i know thats not too much help but i guess you can let me know where your havin trouble and i may be able to be more helpful...

#3 ·

[quote author=morgangibb link=topic=120684.msg2544011#msg2544011 date=1218857975]
ok, so i've used the search bar numerous times, and still cant find any write ups or anything on wiring footwell LED's. any help, or am i just gonna have to free ball this one?
[/quote]

heres how you can wire it to the Cigarette Lighter: http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=7671

heres how you can wire it to the Map Lights: http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=19609.0

#4 ·

one little problem. the first one is for neons, i need LED's but thank you, the second one is great, but do i need resistors for the LEDS if i put them in place of the lighted door sill? i know i can find LED's, wiring, taps and resistors at any local electronic store, i.e. radioshack. but whisch resistors do i need, now that i know how to wire them all up. and thanks again for the write up.

#7 ·

i currently have 4 neons/leds hooked up. ( 2 footwell and 2 under neath seats for the glow in the back).
all four are cigarette lighter connections fuse and all.

i cut off Both ends of the cig lighters so its just wiresx2.
cleaned them up sodderd them together ( correctly memorize what they were origonally connected too before you cut them) and sodder them together.

so it will be 2 wires connected together attached to the spring
2 wires connected to the side plug.

THIS IS INSIDE ONE CIG LIGHTER ATTACTMENT!

they both use the 1amp fuse and its fine. run wires=bingo your complete.

#8 ·

I buy the LED strips from superbrightleds.com. You don't need resistors. They're just plug and play.

I mounted mine on a vertical space under the dash with double sided foam tape. This keeps them held really well. When you look under there you'll see a good spot.

I mounted those for the rear footwells horizontally under the seats with the same foam tape.

#9 ·

so would my best bet be to buy some leds from super bright? and also i want to hard wire it all not anything like pluging it into the cigarette lighter, i have an ipod cable. so i would want to wire it all to the map light hopefully.

#10 ·

yeah superbright its a good place. easyest thing then would follow the first link to tapping into the cigg lighter and running switches and a D-block

#11 ·

Yes, everyone hard wires them in. You can use tap in's, but connectors, or sodder them in. Me, I like but connectors as they're easist and ensure the best connection (outside of soddering).

When people say the cig lighter, they mean the wiring to the cig lighter. It's a constant power source and easy to access. Maplights are great if you want them on when the doors are open.

There are a few online sellers of LEDs. I like superbrightleds.com best.

#12 ·

would i have to put that big ass d block in tho? and would i even be able to run the connections to the map light in front? so they would turn on when the doors open or they are turned on? or should i just wire it to the batt. somehow and then install a switch near the guage dimmer?

#15 ·

You don't need a wiring diagram. It's so easy to figure out once you access the back of the panel. There are two wires leading to the connector for the light, an orange one and a black one. Tap or splice into those and you're set.

#21 ·

my neons the other night, video quality sucks thou because i was using my fone

#23 ·
it was a specific kind i got. just made for that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.