Mazda3 Forums banner

need to replace front struts and mounts.

90K views 34 replies 22 participants last post by  d.z. 
#1 ·
so my front struts have been making a clunking noise for a bit but having noticed any ill handling untill it got cold and i cant handle this. where is the best/cheapest place to get OEM front struts as i am not intrested in the stiffer ride of aftermarket struts (GTspec and swaybars planed in future)

i was going to get koni yellows from my buddy with a tire rack account but their account fell threw so no more awsome deal for me lol.

#2 ·
some guy had stock struts for sale. mine has been clunking for a while now. it makes noises when going over uneven or bumpy parts of the road. also pops once in a while. check your transmission mount.

#3 ·
[quote author=droyal link=topic=127006.msg2707721#msg2707721 date=1225315465]
some guy had stock struts for sale. mine has been clunking for a while now. it makes noises when going over uneven or bumpy parts of the road. also pops once in a while. check your transmission mount.
[/quote]
transmission mount you say? ill put my car up in the air tomorrow at work and check it out. im new to these cars so i am not familiar with the "common problems" they have. it sounds weird but i kinda hope its busted....this thing has horrific wheel hop and hopefully that has a bit to do with it even tho i know wheel hop is a common issue.

#4 ·
My right-front was clunking a few weeks ago. Fortuntely, I looked into it quick enough to find the top nut (the one in the engine bay) was loose. I snugged it down, but didn't have the right equipment to check the torque. Since I'd had my struts replaced this spring, I took it to the place that did my alignment. They said everything was still in spec, and they checked the torque for me.

Clunking usually isn't a symptom of needing new struts (AFAIK). Oscillations after a bump, or wet/grimey springs are usually the tell-all. This is what I had on my right-front earlier this year which led to new front struts. I was fortunate to find a set of off-vehicle struts at my dealer. The dealership had made a showcase car with Mazdaspeed components, and still had the struts and all 4 springs. I got a good deal...

But in my search for struts, I found that a good replacement for street use are the KYB GR-2. The shocks have been available for some time now thru TireRack and other sources. But whenever I checked for the struts (this spring), they said "not available", "out of stock", or if they showed they were available, when I tried to order, it kicked me out.

I finally tried kybstruts.com, which turns out to be a shop ("Phil's") just a few miles from the KYB factory. He had the best price over the phone for the struts. I told him my problem with other sites not having availability. He called KYB for me, and found that while they did have pricing, the struts weren't (at the time) going into production until July '08. That's why I ended up taking a chance on the off-vehicle OEM struts (good price, but no warranty).

Anyway, from looking on TireRack.com today, I see that the GR-2 struts are available in limited quantities. This is probably the most economical solution for struts (about $100 each versus $150 or more for OEM). Most I chatted with agree that replacement struts like this from a good name (like KYB) will last MUCH longer than the typical low-grade OEM strut.

#5 ·
[quote author=thebrakeman link=topic=127006.msg2709647#msg2709647 date=1225383000]
My right-front was clunking a few weeks ago. Fortuntely, I looked into it quick enough to find the top nut (the one in the engine bay) was loose. I snugged it down, but didn't have the right equipment to check the torque. Since I'd had my struts replaced this spring, I took it to the place that did my alignment. They said everything was still in spec, and they checked the torque for me.

Clunking usually isn't a symptom of needing new struts (AFAIK). Oscillations after a bump, or wet/grimey springs are usually the tell-all. This is what I had on my right-front earlier this year which led to new front struts. I was fortunate to find a set of off-vehicle struts at my dealer. The dealership had made a showcase car with Mazdaspeed components, and still had the struts and all 4 springs. I got a good deal...

But in my search for struts, I found that a good replacement for street use are the KYB GR-2. The shocks have been available for some time now thru TireRack and other sources. But whenever I checked for the struts (this spring), they said "not available", "out of stock", or if they showed they were available, when I tried to order, it kicked me out.

I finally tried kybstruts.com, which turns out to be a shop ("Phil's") just a few miles from the KYB factory. He had the best price over the phone for the struts. I told him my problem with other sites not having availability. He called KYB for me, and found that while they did have pricing, the struts weren't (at the time) going into production until July '08. That's why I ended up taking a chance on the off-vehicle OEM struts (good price, but no warranty).

Anyway, from looking on TireRack.com today, I see that the GR-2 struts are available in limited quantities. This is probably the most economical solution for struts (about $100 each versus $150 or more for OEM). Most I chatted with agree that replacement struts like this from a good name (like KYB) will last MUCH longer than the typical low-grade OEM strut.
[/quote]

i am a profesional mechanic.........im not talking jiffy lube tech im talking i work for nissan and have nissan factory training.........clunking is definitely a sign of blown struts.

OEM struts are not low grade at all. infact aftermarket struts normally last less than OEM's. the big problem is that the aftermarket struts are valved simply for the stock spring rates of the OEM springs......how ever the OEM shocks are valved for the best performance and compromise of ride quality and performance. also, never ever mix oem and after market on an axel. if you install a kyb on one side........PUT A KYB ON THE OTHER SIDE!

how ever i found new OEM struts for $90 a pop from a vendor.

#6 ·
I won't argue with your there. What I heard could have been from aftermarket "propaganda".
Anyway, many people feel that the Mazda3 struts go way too soon. 50,000 miles is not uncommon, which I this is a bit early based on other vehicles I've owned. 17" low profile tires probably don't help. My RF strut started flopping around about 3 months after my 4 year/50,000 miles warrenty was up. :evil: Actually it only had 49,000 miles on it, but my time was up.

#7 ·
KYB GR-2/Excel-G are described on the KYB website as being designed to be OE replacement and restoring the vehicle's originally designed handling and control. Does this mean they are intended to be 'upgrades' and designed to be better than stock shocks/struts with a lowered vehicle, or will they perform the same as stock and not last like stock on a lowered vehicle? Am I making sense? I wouldn't want to replace stock with just-like-stock shocks/struts.

It's also noted on the Tokico website that the Mazda 3 non-adjustable HP Series "Blue" shocks/struts are under development. Anyone have any insight as to when these will be ready? These are more 'sporty' than the KYB set from what I'm reading; according to Tokico, these are "the overwhelming choice of performance enthusiasts looking for the best in overall handling and ride quality."

I would LOVE to get adjustables, however, I'm on a significant budget. I'm also not into autocross, I just want improved handling for every day driving without blowing my stock struts.

I have B&G S2 springs (1.4" advertised drop) fwiw, but have not yet installed them. I'm reading that it would be best just to do the springs and shocks/struts all at the same time so for the sake of efficiency, I'd like to do that.

Input is appreciated. Thanks!

#8 ·
From what I understand, the idea of "restoring the vehicle's originally designed handline" means that:
1. If you put new OEM struts on, but kept the original springs, it wouldn't feel original, since the springs have relaxed a bit from new.
2. These aftermarket dampers are tuned to work with these "relaxed" springs to make the car feel like it used to.

It's my understanding that these struts/shocks are intended for those that are changing their struts because they wore out...not because they are lowering anything. That said, if you also replaced the springs with new ones, the ride might be a bit stiffer than stock until they relax.

But I don't think they are making any claims at all at how they will perform with a lowered vehicle. They are OE replacements. Lowered cars are no longer OE/stock.

#9 ·
Right, so KYB GR-2/Excel-G replacements are not intended to be used with aftermarket/performance/lowering springs; they are intended to be used with stock springs.

I guess my question is, if you (I) replace the stock shocks/struts with the KYB replacements, will the KYB replacement give out just as bad/quickly as the stock set from the factory? Is there an alternative to replacing your stock shocks/struts without going to adjustable or full coilovers other than KYB? It appears Tokico's would be good, but they're not available, however, I don't know of any other brands (KYB and Tokico) that have performance (read: something that will work with performance/lowering springs) shocks/struts for a Mazda 3.

I don't think I'm beating a dead horse, if I am, I apologize.

#10 ·
[quote author=TonsterPS link=topic=127006.msg2740117#msg2740117 date=1226522608]
Right, so KYB GR-2/Excel-G replacements are not intended to be used with aftermarket/performance/lowering springs; they are intended to be used with stock springs.

I guess my question is, if you (I) replace the stock shocks/struts with the KYB replacements, will the KYB replacement give out just as bad/quickly as the stock set from the factory? Is there an alternative to replacing your stock shocks/struts without going to adjustable or full coilovers other than KYB? It appears Tokico's would be good, but they're not available, however, I don't know of any other brands (KYB and Tokico) that have performance (read: something that will work with performance/lowering springs) shocks/struts for a Mazda 3.

I don't think I'm beating a dead horse, if I am, I apologize.
[/quote]

Koni and Bilstein???

#11 ·
I was looking at Koni today, and it's a negative. In their parts catalog they have 4 matches for a 2005 Mazda 3. Those are:
- Yellows (I'd love these, but currently out of my price range) - ~$750
- 1130 Sport kit (shocks and springs) - ~$1158
- 2100 FSD kit ("must be used with stock suspension) - ~$1042
- 2150 Lowering kit (Eibach suspension kit) - ~$987

I honestly forgot about Bilstein. Pricey.

I'll just run stockers until they go out and go with Koni Yellows.

#13 ·
Yea, I figured as much; those are the MSRP prices listed on their site. It would be nice to have the flexibility of the adjustables, but since I probably wouldn't adjust them that often anyway, they aren't necessary.

Mazdaspeed offers some non-adjustables for Mz3's that I've found on the net for around $430 for all 4 corners, so I'll probably just go with those when the time comes. I read somewhere that the Mazdaspeed shocks are supplied by Tokico, so that's nice to know as well.

#16 ·
checkout justsuspension.com they have kyb/gr2 for 271 for fronts and rears.

#17 ·
or the kyb outlet store they actually advertise on this site.

#18 ·
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I was just told by my dealer that my right front strut is cracked and leaking. I'm honestly surprised that they've lasted this long on my '07 Mazda 3. I have 80,000 miles on it, many of those from my crappy gravel road.

They didn't tell me much, except that they could order the part for me, which is apparently $430 for one strut?! From what I've been reading, that's probably outrageous.

Anyways, my car is completely stock, so would the KYB GR-2/Excel-G Shock Absorber and Strut Assembly be a good choice for my car?

I would not have to replace the springs, correct? Would you guys recommend replacing only the broken one, all four, or just the front two?

Thank you!

ETA: Sorry, I should have also stated that I'm not just getting tricked by my dealer. I've had a quite a bit of "popping" on sharp turns, jiggling, bouncing, and odd handling lately. I noticed yesterday that there was more dust than usual around my wheels. I think it's collecting on the leaking oil. I'm sure I probably do need all four replaced, due to the roads I drive on...

#20 ·
go to just suspension and order the front struts kyb's you can get them for around 150 or maybe less and if you can find someone to install them for you probably around 100 for each wheel you should absolutely replace them in pairs front and back, if you can afford to do all four you can get the struts and shock for around 275 for the set, and then just get them installed, but 400 for one is rediculus!

#21 ·
doing it yourself is do-able, you just need to rent/borrow the spring compressor from your local auto parts store, and read a couple of the How-to's on this forum and do it. i think i paid about 120 apiece for kybs or so, kept the old springs, and it fixed it up nice.

#22 ·
Just to make sure in this old thread :)

I have an 06 3 & have been told I need to replace the struts the last time I went to get it aligned at Tires Plus (the innermost tread on all 4 tires is wearing pretty fast) so these two front left & right parts & then 2 for the rears is all I would need right?

If someone could recommend a place to get this work done in the greater Atlanta Metro area would be nice too. :D

#24 ·
[quote author=lovswr link=topic=127006.msg3943409#msg3943409 date=1298491315]

I have an 06 3 & have been told I need to replace the struts the last time I went to get it aligned at Tires Plus (the innermost tread on all 4 tires is wearing pretty fast) so these two front left & right parts & then 2 for the rears is all I would need right?

If someone could recommend a place to get this work done in the greater Atlanta Metro area would be nice too. :D
[/quote]

just curious, how many miles on the tires and how often were they rotated? the rear stock suspension on the mazda 3 has a fairly agressive negative camber setting which could cause the wear on the inside of the tires that you are referring to...

#25 ·
[quote author=haste link=topic=127006.msg3945885#msg3945885 date=1298733511]
[quote author=lovswr link=topic=127006.msg3943409#msg3943409 date=1298491315]

[/quote]

just curious, how many miles on the tires and how often were they rotated? the rear stock suspension on the mazda 3 has a fairly agressive negative camber setting which could cause the wear on the inside of the tires that you are referring to...
[/quote]

As to miles maybe 12 to 15000 thousand miles. Until about a year ago I was driving 80 miles round trip for work. I bought the car with two miles on it & I should be hitting 146,000 this week. I get my tires rotated just about every time I get the oil changed (I'm really religious about oil changes) which would work about every 6 weeks.

The last time I took it to tires plus, they told me they could not align it because I needed new struts & the alignment would not "take or hold" or something to that nature. I know that something is wrong, because bumpy roads or other irregularities really upset the car. It just does not have that really good dead-on feeling like it used to.

#26 ·
you may also need new front strut mount/bearings, depending on their condition and if the installer knows what they are doing. ~$35-40/ea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.