Mazda3 Forums banner

How-to Guide: Front Bumper Removal (Sedan Mz3S bumper)

105K views 63 replies 40 participants last post by  scballs13 
#1 ·
As requested from an eariler post.....here's the front bumper removal walkthrough. There wasn't a "Technical / how-to" child board for the Exterior mod section of the forum, so I hope that this will become either a sticky post or spur the creation for a new child board for this section. Anyhow, I hope you guys appreciate all the how-to's/walkthroughs that I've written so far. As always, donations for my time & effort are always welcome ;)

Use & Disclaimer:

• Please do not cross-post this how-to guide / walkthrough and its content (pictures, textual information, etc) to any other forums or boards outside of Mazda3forums.com without first requesting & gaining my permission.
    This short how-to should not be used as an all-encompassing walkthrough. It is simply a brief description of my procedures for removal & installation, and I am not responsible for any damages or injuries that may result.
[/list]

How-To Guide: Front Bumper removal/install for the Mazda3s Sedan

Tools needed

• Ratchet w/ 8mm socket & 1-2" extension
    phillips screwdriver

1.) Using the ratchet, 8mm socket and extension ... Remove the (11; 3 left portion, 5 center portion, 3 right portion of the lower splashguard) 8mm bolts holding the splash guard sections to the bottom of the bumper. The picture below shows only 7, but there are 11 to remove.

3.) While still in the wheelwell area, gently pull the plastic splashguard away from the bumper. Then using a phillips screwdriver or ratchet w/ 8mm socket & extension ... Remove the (2; 1 per side) 8mm bolts that hold the rearmost top corner of the bumper to the fender. Again, turn the wheels left/right to gain the necessary clearance.

Sorry...no picture for this step. Should be self-explanatory

6.) After you've removed all of the mounting hardware, there are only clips from this point on. Go back to both side portions of the bumper and pull gently outwards, the bumper should unclip from the fender.

7.) Then go to the front of the bumper and look down the bumper/ radiator gap behind the grille ... you should see (2) large black rectangluar-shaped plastic hook clips that hold the bumper in place to the bumper reinforcement frame/styrofoam pad, unclip it.

8.) After doing all of the above steps *carefully* the bumper should be free. So just slighlty tilt it and pull it towards you. Make sure you lay a towel / blanket / carpet down and place the bumper down on that so you won't scratch the paint.

=================================

Use & Disclaimer:

• Please do not cross-post this how-to guide / walkthrough and its content (pictures, textual information, etc) to any other forums or boards outside of Mazda3forums.com without first requesting & gaining my permission.
    This short how-to should not be used as an all-encompassing walkthrough. It is simply a brief description of my procedures for removal & installation, and I am not responsible for any damages or injuries that may result.
[/list]

See less See more
#6 ·
I was playing around w/ the HID projectors / bulbs. Specifically to get back there and replace the D2s bulbs, but inorder to do that the headlight housing has to be removed from the vehicle = remove front bumper.

#8 ·
[quote author=Pinchel link=topic=41782.msg616531#msg616531 date=1142288063]
Were you just doing this to do it? Or was there a purpose behind just showing us how? Just curious
[/quote]

Haha I was thinking the same thing.....that maybe he was writing for the haynes manual company or something.

#9 ·
Isn't obvious what I do as my day job. :) I'm an engineer. So naturally I like to tinker, design, fabricate, modify, take thing apart & put them back together....and my biggest flaw is I "see a good design and still have to change it".

#11 ·
yea thanks a lot man, i used this to install my Injen CAI today, REALLY easily done becuase of your walkthru! :exnbpup:

Oh you also get b33r.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

#14 ·
[quote author=silver06 link=topic=41782.msg633365#msg633365 date=1143344526]
I'm Planing on getting fog lights also. I'd also like to see the pics of getting the bumper off.
[/quote]

I wouldn't take off the bumper just to do the fogs....I've taken off the bumper to install my CAI and I've left it on to install the fogs. Its much less work with it on, trust me

#15 ·
[quote author=Mole's 3 link=topic=41782.msg633375#msg633375 date=1143345447]
[quote author=silver06 link=topic=41782.msg633365#msg633365 date=1143344526]
I'm Planing on getting fog lights also. I'd also like to see the pics of getting the bumper off.
[/quote]

I wouldn't take off the bumper just to do the fogs....I've taken off the bumper to install my CAI and I've left it on to install the fogs.  Its much less work with it on, trust me
[/quote]

Thanks for the tip. I would rather not take the bumper off if i don't have to.

#17 ·
pics have been re-uploaded onto the webserver.

#23 ·
[quote author=No Clue link=topic=41782.msg865696#msg865696 date=1154713967]
More or less yes. I helped dfmkevin put his halo's in and the bumper came off the same way if I remember correctly.
[/quote]

Few months later.... geez haha

Yeah its the same in HATCH pretty much, self explanitory when you are lookin at it '''

#25 ·
hey

i noticed at the bottom of my bumper, there is a connector of some sort. i havent got a pic right now, but will post one later today. From the looks of the connector, or whatever is connected to it. it seems like the airbag crash sensor.

if anyone can confirm that for me. if by removing the bumper, would that sensor accidentally trigger the airbags?? is it easy to diconnect. oh and does the battery need to be disconnected too while taking the bumper off..

#26 ·
[quote author=neeldub link=topic=41782.msg911997#msg911997 date=1156468160]
hey

i noticed at the bottom of my bumper, there is a connector of some sort. i havent got a pic right now, but will post one later today. From the looks of the connector, or whatever is connected to it. it seems like the airbag crash sensor.

if anyone can confirm that for me. if by removing the bumper, would that sensor accidentally trigger the airbags?? is it easy to diconnect. oh and does the battery need to be disconnected too while taking the bumper off..

[/quote]

hey,
i'm talking about this connector at the bottom.. if someone can tell me what it is..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.