Mazda3 Forums banner

Does Oil go "bad" if it's in the engine for long period of time but not driven?

4K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  balding geezer 
#1 ·
Does Oil go "bad" if it's in the engine for long period of time but not driven?

I don't drive much or far. So for example, I have regular dyno Chevron 5W20 oil in the car for almost five months but I have only driven 1800 miles since the last oil change.

Is the oil still good?
How long does oil last if the car is not driven much?

#2 ·
Re: Does Oil go "bad" if it's in the engine for long period of time but not driven?

I would change oil every 5000 miles or 6 months, which ever comes first. But with you driving so little... you probably drive a lot of short distances in the city so you should change it every 3000 miles or 5-6 months. With driving short distances the oil never warms up fully so moisture and fuel will dilute the oil, which lowers the protection the oil provide.

#4 ·
Re: Does Oil go "bad" if it's in the engine for long period of time but not driven?

I actually don't drive the Mazda3 to work because I only live 3.5 miles from work. And because the weather has been so bad lately that I have been using my old 1995 Pathfinder as my commuter car to and from work.

The only time that I have used my Mazda3 is on nice days and to drive up to Seattle for a weekend (that puts about 500 miles for the weekend, of those about 400 miles are highway miles).

#5 ·

[quote author=khoi link=topic=135826.msg2926029#msg2926029 date=1234247466]
I actually don't drive the Mazda3 to work because I only live 3.5 miles from work. And because the weather has been so bad lately that I have been using my old 1995 Pathfinder as my commuter car to and from work.

The only time that I have used my Mazda3 is on nice days and to drive up to Seattle for a weekend (that puts about 500 miles for the weekend, of those about 400 miles are highway miles).
[/quote]

Oh ok... so that means you don't drive short distances. You should be fine with changing your oil at 5-6 months.

#6 ·

That's good to know. thanks for all your help.

When the weather gets better, I will probably suspend the insurance on my Pathfinder and start driving the Mazda3 as the commuter car to work.
Because I will be driving lots of short distance, so I should change oil every 3-4 months to be safe?

#7 ·

[quote author=khoi link=topic=135826.msg2926126#msg2926126 date=1234253367]
That's good to know. thanks for all your help.

When the weather gets better, I will probably suspend the insurance on my Pathfinder and start driving the Mazda3 as the commuter car to work.
Because I will be driving lots of short distance, so I should change oil every 3-4 months to be safe?

[/quote]

If you want but personally I would just change it at 5-6 months. As long as it gets up to operating temperature occasionally you should be fine. Just take hwy drives every so often to cook away any moisture or fuel in the oil.

How far is your work?

#9 ·

[quote author=khoi link=topic=135826.msg2926133#msg2926133 date=1234253976]
Alright, that is easy enough to remember... 5-6 months :)
[/quote]

Yup! btw... Happy 31st Birthday!

#11 ·

This sounds like my Mother's driving habits. She gets the oil changed spring and fall and never comes close to the mileage; her '01 Civic has gone less than 1,000 km since the last oil change in October, virtually all of that in town trips to the bank, grocery store etc. I put 5W40 synthetic diesel oil in it to help compensate for the moisture/acid /fuel build up. I use Petro-Canada stuff but I'm pretty sure Shell RotellaT is available in 5W40 synthetic and meets the API SM spec Mazda calls for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.