Mazda3 Forums banner

2005 Mazda 3 GT leaking transmission fluid

9K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  azazel1024 
#1 ·
A few days ago I went to the garage to have my winter tires installed. While the car was up on the ramp we noticed the whole chassis covered in transmission fluid. After removing the large plastic pan under the engine we found the source of the leak...a transmission line rusted through.
The car has only 33000 KMs. (app 19000 miles) Because I live 200 kms ( app 120 miles) from the nearest Mazda dealer, roadside assistance was only willing to pay for the first 100 kms so I called the dealer and they said they would pay the difference. So I had the car towed and the line replaced. However Mazda refused to pay the $30.00 the local mechanic charged to check the leak. And it cost me an additional 35.00 for bus fare to pick up the car and 25.00 for gas to get back home.

This is my first mazda and one of the main reasons for buying it was reliability. According to Consumer reports, the mazda 3 has dropped in reliability from FAR better than average to better than average and the Mazda Miata from FAR better than average to average. The quality is going downhill guys.
Has anyone else had this problem? Anyway this is my first and last Mazda.

#5 ·
Mine had started leaking fluid as well after I had put in the K&N CAI. It was fine at first, but when I had changed it to the "short ram", the leak bursted out from the bolt-on pin that was connected to the hose line. It wasn't very hard to replace after you have taken out the stock air filter, but then again, it took me about two and a half hours to take the darn thing off.

I like my Mazda but as you said, I'm also starting to find out some things about it's reliability. My motor was replaced at about 38k and everything started to go down hill from there. My car stalls out when I warm it up in the morning and it also has been jerking really weird when I use the steptronic shifter.

#6 ·
No major problems with my car so far, just fairly minor things with about 25k miles so far.

The mechanics charge Mazda should probably cover, but then again I think for them to cover any work under warranty it has to be filed with them, not a consumer requesting compensation (AFAIK).

As for the gas and bus fare that isn't listed anywhere in your warranty as being covered and I wouldn't expect them to cover that. If you needed a rental that should have been covered, but they aren't going to cover your gas for driving and they aren't likely to cover you paying for other means of transportation to get to or from the dealership to get your car.
-Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.