Mazda3 Forums banner

Shift-Lock Override

20K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ekanddsm 
#1 ·
I'm posting this for those of you who (like me) have had a problem getting your car shifted out of Park.
I have a 2005 Mazda 3 GS automatic. One afternoon I start my car fine, however I cannot move the shifter out of Park. It's locked. I panic of course, not knowing what is the matter. Fortunately I'm parked in an Auto Service parking lot and go inside to get some help. The guy comes out and takes a look then goes back in to look up some information on my car on his computer. We go out again, this time with a screwdriver and he pops the little tab on the gear box off and inserts it in the hole - the shifter now moves. I'm grateful and of course if I had my manual and a screwdriver with me, I could have done the same thing.
However, putting your car in Park again and wanting to shift it - you have to do the screwdriver-in-the-hole thing to get it to shift. So there is definitely something wrong with my shifter. I have an appointment with my dealer to have them take a look at it.
So if anyone else runs into this problem, make sure you have a screwdriver in your car to get you going.

#2 ·
Check your brake switch, it's a little button up by the brake pedal. If its messed up, the car won't know you're stepping on the brakes and let you out of park. I'm not sure how it works on the 3, but it may also be the same switch that activates your brake lights, so if they aren't lighting up either then thats definitely the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.