Mazda3 Forums banner

Diagnostic codes readable by owners?

4K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  kooner69 
#1 ·
I can read a subset of the diagnostic codes in my Neon just by cycling the ignition switch in a certain sequence.
It flashes the CEL a count equal to a code number. Other cars can do this too.

What about our 3s?

I'm taking delivery of my first Japanese/Mazda car in a few weeks.

#2 ·
Im just guessing that since this feature will not increase service center revenue, it was excluded. That Dodge/Chrysler function was really handy. I used it many times and it was always enough info. I havent read the book to see if we have anything like that.

#4 ·
I don't think anyone has really looked into it.
I know it is possible to do this on the Ford Focus. And not increase service center revenue has nothing to do with it as it is not a very good way to even read the codes.

I have a scan tool that connects to a laptop I think it was around $300

#5 ·
I think anything from the ODB into the serial or USB of the laptop would work...program might be as much as a reader. Laptop program should offer additional options to play with the car.

#8 ·
[quote author=AzMz3 link=topic=7181.msg490130#msg490130 date=1132982772]
I know it is possible to do this on the Ford Focus. And not increase service center revenue has nothing to do with it as it is not a very good way to even read the codes.

[/quote]
Being able to read codes yourself means you dont have to take it to dealership....therefore excluded by Mazda so we have to go to the dealerships. Just had to clarify the intent here.

#9 ·
[quote author=NocaB link=topic=7181.msg500122#msg500122 date=1133835933]
[quote author=AzMz3 link=topic=7181.msg490130#msg490130 date=1132982772]

[/quote]
Being able to read codes yourself means you dont have to take it to dealership....therefore excluded by Mazda so we have to go to the dealerships. Just had to clarify the intent here.
[/quote]

As stated they are not as good as a real scan tool and you would still need a scanner or to take it to the dealer if you find the problem and fix it.
Even on the similar vehicles that have it, it doesn't have the capability to list all codes.

#10 ·
On my Maxima, there was a screw on the ECU that you could turn and it would blink the engine code with the CEL. That was a priceless feature. I never took it to a dealer.
I also heard that some auto parts stores will do ECU readout for free, can someone confirm?

#12 ·
Any Autozone, Baxters, NAPA, Pep Boys, wherever... they will let you use their (usualy nice) scan tool for free.
They might come out with you, to make sure you dont steal it... but the scan tool NAPA let me borrow had a big screen, like 10 inches, and could read any value from the car.
Would display realtime graphs of O2 sensors, intake temp, A/F mixture, throttle pressure, target RPM's and true RPM's (not sure what the diff was, the number was always within like 50rpm's close).
Obviously, it listed engine codes, and had full on-screen manual pages on what the code meant for most of the codes.
You could even force the engine into limp mode, where itll turn off O2 sensors, evap/egr functions, and just run basic stuff to keep the motor turning.
Was fancy fancy shit, the guy said that particular scan tool (from Snap-on) was like $10,000 :shock:
He said itd work on ANY car made after 1996, and on some cars a bit before that. It could also reprogram the ECU, it had a fucking floppy drive!!!!

#13 ·
[quote author=Brian805 link=topic=7181.msg491726#msg491726 date=1133161115]
http://www.canobd2.com/tool/OBDSimple.asp What I have.
simple and easy to use. Comes with a case so you can just toss it in the glove box.
[/quote]

I have another tool from this same company, but it is a LOT simpler, and a LOT cheaper (I think I paid about $100 Cdn.)  Too bad I can't find it on the net anywhere.  It is CAN compliant, so it works on all newer cars.  All it does is display the codes and reset the light.  Which is exactly what I was looking for, for anything more complicated I have my Terradyne unit, which costs about $7000 but is much slower at just resetting the light.

EDIT: Found it....

http://www.toolsource.com/ost//prod...6897&mscssid=0LEM151CKQJR9K5C9TJX9CUE2C500439

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.