Mazda3 Forums banner

Starter corrosion/Car won't start

13K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  him 
#1 ·
Does anyone have pictures of the corrosion on the S cable that goes on the starter? I wasn't able to start my car this morning and started searching the forums for starter issues. All I could find was this TSB: http://www.finishlineperformance.com/pdf/mazda3/bulletin/01-037-08-1960a.pdf

I crawled under my car to inspect it and there isn't any visible green corrosion like some others describe. I'm pretty sure my battery is ok. I measured 12.44 volts with a DMM. The repair manual says anything 12.4V or greater is good. What else could it be? HELP!! I need to get to work tomorrow!

Has the starter been known to crap out at about 40k mi? BTW I have a 2007, 2.3 hatch, MTX w/ 41K mi.

#2 ·
just had the same issue a few months back. i don't have any pics for you but i was able to fix it by removing the connection, folding a small piece of sand paper to fit inside of clip, cleaned inside of the connection and the terminal on the starter. a little electric grease on the terminal will keep it from happening anytime soon.

#3 ·
I think i just flooded the engine. I had the car outside last night while I was inspecting a different issue and just started it up to pull it back in the garage. Car started right up with a big poof of smoke coming from the exhaust after I stepped on the gas pedal and turned the ignition key.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.