Mazda3 Forums banner

2007 mazda 3 tpms

6K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  mazdatron 
#1 ·
I just put new tires on my mazda and the guy told me one of my sensors were shot and it was illegal to not replace it. It was $65 for just one sensor! Is that right or did I get ripped off? The light was never on so I don't see how it was shot. I am guessing that I can't replace those on my own without taking the tire off the rim?

#2 ·
legality may be a local issue.
i've heard that from others.
if it was shot, or not transmitting, you would or should have a light.
if he meant the seal was bad, then there are seal kits that are less than the cost of replacing the entire unit, but maybe that wasn't an option.

no you cannot replace without removing, but if it was just leaking from the valve in the stem, that could also be replaced without necessarily replacing the unit (i think).

#4 ·
i think it isn't uncommon to find them for less than $40 or cheaper if you have time to shop around. they are $60-70 from most stealerships.

#6 ·
I took it to merchants tire because they have $20 off alignment and $20 off service over $100. I only take my dodge to the dealership because I get good deals on oil changes and its under warranty. Otherwise I hate dealerships because they charge an arm and a leg for the stupidest things! Anyway, I got new 50,000 mile tires, front and back alignment, and that sensor for $585.

I was quoted $1000+ from 3 shops to replace shocks and struts for me so I ended up buying the shocks and more expensive all in one front struts for about $300 total. It's like I got the tires and alignment for free plus $100 compared to if I took it to the shop. Those people are crazy!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#7 ·
$65 is on the high end, but average for retail price. obviously buying them yourself online you can get them for as low as $20

i'm not completely sure about this but it would seem to make sense--- if the sensor was not working then you would not have a light on because the sensor only tells the car that the pressure is low, not if its working or not, so non working sensor = pressure is fine, as far as the car is concerned.

as i recall, i did not have a light on even when i had one sensor removed (so only 3 on the car).. also because i was told it couldn't be used (i think they just didn't want to rebuild it)

yes, it is illegal to not replace it.. federal law mandates tpms sensors on new vehicles

"but if it was just leaking from the valve in the stem, that could also be replaced without necessarily replacing the unit (i think)"

the metal valve stem on the oem sensors cannot be replaced themselves.. it's the whole unit or nothing. when the time comes to replace your sensors you should go to a shop that will sell you the new style with the rubber valve stems that can be replaced. that way you never have to buy another sensor (at least until the battery is dead).

the core of the valve stem can be replaced, if that's what you meant.. and that is part what is replaced when they service the sensors, but the whole stem itself cannot be replaced

btw, the oem sensors with the metal valve stems will corrode and become unusable before the battery even dies.. at least one of my stems is starting to get a bubble and could burst open .. but they are only 3 years old of the 7+ year battery life

#8 ·
yes, i mean the internal valve.
the seal rebuild kits i have seen include both a replacement for this, and a larger o-ring type seal for the stem/wheel interface.
i have seen these oem tpms leak both from the valve and the seal at the wheel.
tightening the nut on the stem can help most of the time, at at some point that rubber seal can fail for good and needs to be replaced. i'm sure there are occasions when the seal is pretty much compromised during removal or transfer.

#9 ·
I just bought a used oem tpms for $25 or so off eBay seller panic motorsports as my old one was leaking at the valve and needed air about every other week. The mechanic showed me the valve was stripped and just spun in place. As for the oem replacement it was just plug n play no reprograming or resetting needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.