Mazda3 Forums banner

AC problem (I searched)

24K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  sirhk100 
#1 ·
Hey Y'all

I have not posted for a while, but I was pushed to it by a peculiar new problem:

- my AC sometimes shuts off on its own.

It seems to only do it when I do not have recirculate on, but I have not been able to ascertain a pattern yet.

Basically, I have AC on, it works fine, then the green light goes off, and the AC turns off. Pushing the AC button does nothing until I turn the whole system off (Fan speed off) and back on. Then, I can resume the AC with no problem.

I know this seems electronic .. but I am hoping this has been encountered before .. and I can diagnose / fix it outside the dealership.

I am in Texas now - AC is irreplacable down here ;)

Igor

#2 ·
I had a similar problem. It turned out to be the fan speed switch. I replaced mine & now it's fine. I may have also repaired my old one, but I have not tested it. I got a complete control panel off of ebay.

#6 ·
I have the same issue. A local mechanic also informed me that it was my switch shorting out. I'm going to try calling around junkyards, etc. to see if I can find a panel for sale.

#9 ·
[quote author=willdude link=topic=143379.msg3217338#msg3217338 date=1247101870]
My 2005 just started doing this too. Not too bothersome, though, and I'm glad to hear it's just a shorted switch and not the compressor going bad or anything. Weird coincidence, if the 2005's are suddenly doing this.
[/quote]

My 04 is doing something very similar to this. I will have to call the stealership and see how much a switch costs!! :(

Nate

#15 ·
I've had a switch I got off a junkyard dealer on ebay since last summer. I'm going to try installing it tonight. I know for a fact my fan speed switch is touchy and will cause it to kick on and off but when it does it the AC light actually turns on and off as well. I can just jiggle the fan speed switch and it'll kick back on. Like I said, I'm gonna try replacing that tonight...

But... Last week I put a can of R134 in the system, made it blow ice cold but it would only run for about a minute, then it would turn off for about a minute, then on for about 5 sec, off for 30, on for 5, off for 30, etc etc...

I bled some pressure out and wasn't noticing a difference thinking I over filled it possibly. Well while bleeding it, it went from a high pressure sounding bleed to a low pressure sound instantly after letting quite a bit out and when this happened the compressor kicked in and kept working solid!!!! This was in the evening here in vegas, probably mid 80's outside. I was stoked!!!! Blowing ice cold continuously...

Well, turns out now, during the day when it's 100+ it'll blow cold for about 5-10 minutes, then shuts off for about 5 minutes, then back on for about 5. Works amazing though when it's under say 95 degrees outside but when it's 95+ (we see 110+ degrees here) it doesn't work. I'm thinking I still need to actually let more pressure out of it thinking that with the extra load of working in the extreme heat it builds too much pressure actually and kicks off some safety switch.

If that wasn't too much jibberish, any advice?

#16 ·
So I replaced my climate control panel last night. Wasn't that hard but not super easy by any means either. In case anyone sees this and is looking to do the same...

On my '05...

-open center consol
-pop out center cupholder/ebrake bezel. It's just clipped in.
-pop out bezel around shifter, also just clipped in.
-remove 2 screws under ash tray.
-Pull out ash tray and position panal between ash tray and climate control out of the way.
-Pop out trim around stereo display that kinda runs across to the pass side.
-Remove 2 bolts holding stereo in and slide it out pulling out antenna wire and unclip harness.
-Remove 2 screws underneath climate control holding it in place.
-use a pick to pop out c-clip holding each of two cables into the climate control unit.
-Push cable housings back and out of holders.
-use needle nose pliers to pull cable itself out of selector tabs.
-Unplug 2 harnesses
-remove climate control setup...

So I did replace mine last night. It did fix my touchy knob issue I was having but I know for a fact I'm still fighting a system that I overcharged being greety and hoping for an ice cold AC system. I may bite the bullet and just go have it serviced at a shop so that I know it's at it's proper pressure and will just have to settle with whatever temp it blows. I guess that's part of owning one of these cars, the AC isn't very cold when it's 111 degrees out like it was yesterday!

I drove a camry today and the AC froze my ass off!!! Kinda jealous!

#17 ·
[quote author=sirhk100 link=topic=143379.msg3710875#msg3710875 date=1277735471]
I've had a switch I got off a junkyard dealer on ebay since last summer. I'm going to try installing it tonight. I know for a fact my fan speed switch is touchy and will cause it to kick on and off but when it does it the AC light actually turns on and off as well. I can just jiggle the fan speed switch and it'll kick back on. Like I said, I'm gonna try replacing that tonight...

But... Last week I put a can of R134 in the system, made it blow ice cold but it would only run for about a minute, then it would turn off for about a minute, then on for about 5 sec, off for 30, on for 5, off for 30, etc etc...

I bled some pressure out and wasn't noticing a difference thinking I over filled it possibly. Well while bleeding it, it went from a high pressure sounding bleed to a low pressure sound instantly after letting quite a bit out and when this happened the compressor kicked in and kept working solid!!!! This was in the evening here in vegas, probably mid 80's outside. I was stoked!!!! Blowing ice cold continuously...

Well, turns out now, during the day when it's 100+ it'll blow cold for about 5-10 minutes, then shuts off for about 5 minutes, then back on for about 5. Works amazing though when it's under say 95 degrees outside but when it's 95+ (we see 110+ degrees here) it doesn't work. I'm thinking I still need to actually let more pressure out of it thinking that with the extra load of working in the extreme heat it builds too much pressure actually and kicks off some safety switch.

If that wasn't too much jibberish, any advice?
[/quote]

Attach a pressure gauge. Overfilling will damage components. Don't compromise.

#20 ·
Ebay, they're not too expensive really on there from junk yards parting out the cars. You've gotta remove most of the consol to get it out but it's not too difficult. The strereo slides out really easy. There's a couple hidden screws to look for. You'll have two cables attached to the panel. Use some small needle nose pliers to pull the retaining clip straight up and then fish the cable out. It took me probably about 30 mins or so to get mine swapped out with most of the time being trying to figure out how to get the cables of the old and onto the new.

Khris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.