Auto transmission flush - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Moped Rider

Auto transmission flush

I am going to flush my 5 speed A/T with Amsoil and I bought 9 quarts. Question, can I use 9 quarts of the cheapest tranny fluid at Walmart to make sure all old fluid is out? Thinking of getting this to flush with: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tec...Fluid/20573820
Just wanted to make sure old fluid is out and Amsoil is too expensive to only use to flush out old fluid.

2010 Mazda3 Sedan Black Mica
2.0L MZR Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 04:10 AM
Moped Rider

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by beavis87 View Post
I am going to flush my 5 speed A/T with Amsoil and I bought 9 quarts. Question, can I use 9 quarts of the cheapest tranny fluid at Walmart to make sure all old fluid is out?
Just wanted to make sure old fluid is out and Amsoil is too expensive to only use to flush out old fluid.
I personally would'nt do it, Certain fluids are fortified for different clutch materials and will act differently. Your talking about the main driveline of your car here and dont wanna risk anything which is why you wanna use Amsoil right? That being said take some advice from someone who's been in your shoes. I was battling multiple trans leaks a few years ago. Did the filter and pan gasket along with new output shaft seals with mazda FNR5 fluid. One week after this the brand new output shaft seal was leaking, I tapped it in too far the first time. Bought another then bought more fluid from mazda and refilled. Good for a month then the worst leak of all.....input pump/torque converter bushing and seal gone. Dropped the trans, removed old seal and bushing and installed new bushing and seal and reinstalled the trans. Now keep in mind after every problem I had with leaks and shift solenoids I alway bought new fresh fluid from mazda so essentially the transmission was thoroughly flushed and clean. After all of this the last time I refilled the transmission I like you, used Amsoil ATF. The parts manager gave me a discount on the mazda Type MV or M5 ATF however you wanna call it so when I bought half a case of fluid he knocked off a few bucks and gave me the fluid almost at cost. Play it safe and flush it with oem fluid then go with Amsoil.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Moped Rider

Thing is, is that Mazda Type MV and Ford FNR5 are expensive as well, not Amsoil expensive but enough not to want to flush with it. I may just use Valvoline MaxLife.

2010 Mazda3 Sedan Black Mica
2.0L MZR Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 01:48 PM
Le Mans: Prototype Class

At work we have a BG fluid exchanger it requires 16qt. of fluid to do a proper exchange. If you don't have access to a machine like this then the best thing to do is to drain, refill, run, and repeat until the fluid color is good. No matter what you do you are going to end up with some of the old or cheaper fluid left behind.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM
Go-Kart Driver

I've also understood that because of the the pressures and such, sometimes the flushes can cause more issues than they solve. I've always been advised that a simple drain and fill is the better option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Powertrain for 2010-2013

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazda3forums.com/667-powertrain-2010-2013/748826-auto-transmission-flush.html
Posted By For Type Date
Auto transmission flush - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum This thread Refback 06-20-2017 05:34 PM
Auto transmission flush - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum This thread Refback 06-20-2017 03:55 PM
Auto transmission flush - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum This thread Refback 06-20-2017 03:36 PM
Auto transmission flush - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum This thread Refback 06-20-2017 01:06 PM
Auto transmission flush - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum This thread Refback 06-20-2017 05:33 AM
Auto transmission flush - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum This thread Refback 06-20-2017 12:05 AM