Do you guys use seafoam in vacuum line? - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Bicycle Rider

Do you guys use seafoam in vacuum line?

Just wondering if you peoples thoughts on using seafoam through the vacuum line into the intake manifold for cleaning at all? My 2010 mazda 3 sport just turned 115,000 miles and still runs like a champ. I've never done it to the car and I am still getting about 400-430 miles on a tank of gas. Just wondering your thoughts? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 03:18 PM
Moped Rider

I've done it and it works pretty good. Pro-tip: Go to the hardware store and pick up some poly tubing, a needle valve, a tubing "T", and a conical tubing adapter. The conical adapter will assure a tight fit to the vacuum line, the "T"(for airflow) and the needle valve allows you to control the flow rate of the seafoam(or insert your preferred fuel treatment), so you won't accidentally drown out the engine. You want a nice low flow rate.

It's basically a DIY version of the kit they use in shops to do this procedure, although you will have to play with the valve a bit to find the ideal flow rate.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Bicycle Rider

Thank you for response. I did this about 10 years ago to my eagle talon turbo and she smoked like a son of gun. I was planning on doing this seafoam treatment (not in the oil, although a lot of people do it), and then drive about 50 miles and then replace spark plugs and do an oil change. I don't think much can go wrong doing this right? Any picture of which vacuum line to send in the seafoam through?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 03:37 PM
Moped Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaniel1287 View Post
Thank you for response. I did this about 10 years ago to my eagle talon turbo and she smoked like a son of gun. I was planning on doing this seafoam treatment (not in the oil, although a lot of people do it), and then drive about 50 miles and then replace spark plugs and do an oil change. I don't think much can go wrong doing this right? Any picture of which vacuum line to send in the seafoam through?
The shop I worked at used the big fat line that connects to the brake booster. The white smoke is actually normal while you are doing the fuel treatment, and for a few minutes after.

EDIT: I'm not sure what the can says, but you only want to run about a third of a can through the vacuum line. I usually poor the rest in the tank with a full(or close to) tank of gas.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Bicycle Rider

Yes, I've seen peoplewho did this and then their car threw a CEL. The only thing I can think of would be the O2 sensors maybe through the exhaust? I dunno, I guess I could alwasy opt to not do this because my car runs perfect as it is and if it isnt broke don't fix haha. We will see.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 04:47 AM
Moped Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaniel1287 View Post
Yes, I've seen peoplewho did this and then their car threw a CEL. The only thing I can think of would be the O2 sensors maybe through the exhaust? I dunno, I guess I could alwasy opt to not do this because my car runs perfect as it is and if it isnt broke don't fix haha. We will see.
The CEL usually happens when the liquid is sucked in too quick. I'm guessing it doesn't get burned completely and then the O2 sensor freaks. That's why the very slow flow rate is necessary.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 11:46 AM
Moped Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton63841 View Post
I've done it and it works pretty good. Pro-tip: Go to the hardware store and pick up some poly tubing, a needle valve, a tubing "T", and a conical tubing adapter. The conical adapter will assure a tight fit to the vacuum line, the "T"(for airflow) and the needle valve allows you to control the flow rate of the seafoam(or insert your preferred fuel treatment), so you won't accidentally drown out the engine. You want a nice low flow rate.

It's basically a DIY version of the kit they use in shops to do this procedure, although you will have to play with the valve a bit to find the ideal flow rate.
I'll have to remember this for the future, thanks!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 02:53 PM
Go-Kart Driver

It also will usually cause the engine to chug and misfire, which also freaks the ECU out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Powertrain for 2010-2013

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazda3forums.com/667-powertrain-2010-2013/748714-do-you-guys-use-seafoam-vacuum-line.html
Posted By For Type Date
Do you guys use seafoam in vacuum line? - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum This thread Refback 06-20-2017 05:34 PM
Do you guys use seafoam in vacuum line? - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum This thread Refback 06-20-2017 09:59 AM
Do you guys use seafoam in vacuum line? - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum This thread Refback 06-17-2017 05:52 AM
Do you guys use seafoam in vacuum line? - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum This thread Refback 06-17-2017 05:22 AM
Do you guys use seafoam in vacuum line? - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum This thread Refback 06-17-2017 02:18 AM
Do you guys use seafoam in vacuum line? - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum This thread Refback 06-16-2017 11:49 PM
Do you guys use seafoam in vacuum line? - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum This thread Refback 06-16-2017 11:38 PM
Do you guys use seafoam in vacuum line? - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum This thread Refback 06-16-2017 11:31 PM
Do you guys use seafoam in vacuum line? - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum This thread Refback 06-16-2017 10:22 PM
Do you guys use seafoam in vacuum line? - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum This thread Refback 06-16-2017 10:22 PM
Do you guys use seafoam in vacuum line? - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum This thread Refback 06-16-2017 10:05 PM
Do you guys use seafoam in vacuum line? - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum This thread Refback 06-15-2017 05:27 PM