Coolant change 2010 mazda 3 sport? - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By spaniel1287

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Bicycle Rider

Coolant change 2010 mazda 3 sport?

Had a few questions. I did a coolant change the other day and here is what I did. I emptied fluid from radiator, plugged and refilled reservoir with distilled water. Ran car for 10 min with heater on high. I repeated the process about 3 times til is was almost clear fluid coming out. I think filled reservoir with 50/50 mix of coolant. After thinking about it, the heater core probably had the distilled water in and my system probably doesn't have the correct mixture. I have driven the car about 50 miles now (i live in atlanta and the temp isnt going to get very low until next winter). But I am thinking I should drain radiator again and fill with more 50/50 coolant. Thoughts?

Also, I noticed when I drove this morning (it was about 45F) 25 miles I parked and popped the hood and noticed the radiator fan wasn't on? After 25 miles of high way driving I would think the motor would be at max operating temp? Being the 2010 mazda3, there is no temp gauge. I have never seen the temp light come on or flash or anything (which i guess is a good thing).

Thanks for help! Also, it is a 2010 mazda 3 sport with 110k miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Bicycle Rider

UPDATE: well it must not have been at temp high enough to fun fan, on way home today I turned on the AC and when i got home the radiator fan was running, so thats good it works haha.
User-Name likes this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 03:24 PM
Go-Kart Driver

Even if you left some water behind and theoretically, it made your mixture 40/60, in Atlanta, you still have nothing to worry about. The 50/50 mixture gives you certain degree of protection. And 40/60 gives you just a bit lesser but still, it has to be damn cold to freeze. Not Atlanta-cold, much colder. Peak antifreeze 40/60 protects to -12F. But I am almost certain that as long as you had your heater on, the water drained. It would be nice experiment to turn heater to "cold", flush the radiator and then turn it to "hot". You will probably see more fluid come out.

I have not done coolant change on my '10 or '11 (I have 2), but every other car I've worked on, had a valve on intake, which would need to be open to release air from cooling system. You would fill new fluid, start the engine and open that valve until no air and only coolant comes out.

On '10 you have overheating light. On '11 there is also a blue light that is on when you start cold and it goes off when engine reaches operating temperature. It is helpful, but I would enjoy having analog temp gauge. I hate the instrument panels new Mazda3 have, ones with digital gauges and speedometer. Time to say goodbye to this brilliant company - too much nonsense.

98 Protege
10 Mazda3
11 Mazda3
Next - not Mazda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(may be)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Powertrain for 2010-2013

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page