Mazda3 Forums banner

2010 + Engine and Transmission Oil Specifications

66K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  shipo 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I found these posts while browsing online for the proper transmission fluid viscosity for my 2.5L, and I thought it would be helpful for everyone else to see. Credit goes to "goldstar" on the club protege forums for the info.

Engine and Transmission Oil Specifications, BL (MY 2010-2013))

Updated September 2013

As the natural successor to the Protege, and to keep CP up to date as well as attracting new 3 members, CP had previously established a Mazda3 Forum for the 2004-2009 models, chassis code BK. The MY 2010 marks the introduction of the 2nd Gen 3s, chassis code BL. Although CP does not yet have a section for these cars, I thought it would be useful to post engine and transmission oil specs for this new generation of cars for the convenience of our members considering the purchase of a new 3, since such a thread already exists for the earlier models. Should a new section be established for the BL, this thread will be moved for inclusion there.

The following data is taken from Mazda USA.

Note the following changes:
1. Engine oil viscosity rating change for the MZR 2.0 L and 2.5 L engines from SAE 5W-20 to SAE 0W-20 after the 2010 MY.
2. M/T oil viscosity and Service Rating change for all models after the 2010 MY from SAE 75W-90, GL-4 or GL-5 to SAE 75W-80, GL-4

According to Mazda, some related parts were changed in the M/Ts due to the oil specification change. Consequently, if SAE 75W-90 is used in transmissions designed for SAE 75W-80, an increase in fuel consumption and harder shifting when cold can result. If SAE 75W-80 is used in transmissions designed for the heavier oil, an increase in gear noise may occur.

LF-VE MZR 2.0 L Engine
Engine oil capacity, with filter change: 4.3 L (4.5 US qts)
Viscosity 2010 MY SAE: 5W-20
Viscosity 2011-2013 MY: 0W-20 (Full synthetic specified)

M/T type and capacity: G35M-R, 5-speed, 2.77 L (2.93 US qts)
Viscosity 2010 MY: Any temperature SAE 75W-90, GL-4 or GL-5; Above 10* C (50* F) SAE 80W-90
Viscosity 2011-2013 MY: SAE 75W-80, GL-4

A/T type and capacity: FS5A-EL, 5-speed, electronically-controlled with manual-shift mode; 8.14 L (8.6 US qts) after a complete fluid removal
Fluid type: ATF M-V

PE-VPM SKYACTIV-G 2.0 L DISI Miller/Atkinson Cycle Engine (2012-2013)
Engine oil capacity, with filter change: 4.2 L (4.2 US qts)
Viscosity: SAE 0W-20 (Full synthetic specified)

M/T type and capacity: C66M-R, 6-speed, 1.65 L (1.74 US qts)
Viscosity: SAE 75W-80

A/T type and capacity: FW6A-EL, 6-speed, electronically-controlled with manual-shift mode; 7.8 L (8.2 US qts) after a complete fluid removal
Fluid type: ATF FZ

Important Information

Mazda has issued a TSB No. 05-003/13 in reference to the use of ATF FZ. It specifies that this is the only fluid specifically designed for use in the SkyActiv-Drive series AT. It's a low viscosity formula with less friction for better fuel economy and is colored blue for easy identification. The SkyActiv-Drive FW6A-EL AT with ATF-FZ is "filled for life" with no change intervals for the ATF required and flushing is not recommended as part of service maintenance. There are no oil cooler lines and the replacement ATF will come with a new oil cooler which is mounted directly to the case.

The following cautions are stated: ATF-FZ is designed only for SkyActiv-Drive series ATs. If an ATF other than ATF-FZ is used in the SkyActiv-Drive AT, the performance and reliability cannot be guaranteed. The resulting damage will not be covered by warranty. Use of ATF-FZ in non-SkyActiv-Drive ATs may result in serious internal damage that will not be covered by warranty.

Bottom line: Only use Mazda brand ATF-FZ in your Skyactiv-Drive AT. The part No. is 0000-FZ-113E-01 and is available in 1-quart containers in either a 4-pack or 12-pack.

L5-VE MZR 2.5 L Engine
Engine oil capacity, with filter change: 5.0 L (5.3 US qts)
Viscosity 2010 MY: SAE 5W-20
Viscosity 2011-2012 MY: SAE 0W-20 (Full synthetic specified)

M/T type and capacity: G66M-R, 6-speed, 2.85 L (3.01 US qts)
Viscosity 2010 MY: Any temperature SAE 75W-90, GL-4 or GL-5; Above 10* C (50* F) SAE 80W-90
Viscosity 2011-2012 MY: SAE 75W-80, GL-4

A/T type and capacity: FS5A-EL, 5-speed, electronically-controlled with manual-shift mode; 8.14 L (8.6 US qts) after a complete fluid removal
Fluid type: ATF M-V

L3-VDT MZR 2.3 L DISI Turbo Engine (2010-2013)

Engine oil capacity, with filter change: 5.7 L (6.0 US qts)
Viscosity: SAE 5W-30

M/T type and capacity: A26M-R, 6-speed, 2.5 L (2.6 US qts)
Viscosity 2011-2012 MY: SAE 75W-80, GL-4

Mazda Synthetic Engine Oil
Now that Mazda calls for a switch to 0W-20 synthetic oil, the recommended lubricant is available in one quart containers from dealers for those who wish to do their own oil changes. It's manufactured in the USA by Idemitsu, the Japanese oil company, and contains Moly with an ILSAC GF-5 certification. This new oil was specifically created to reduce friction while providing maximum protection, along with delivering quick starts with fast lubrication in the coldest of climates, for the SkyActiv-G engines used in the 3 and the CX-5. It's the engine oil that Mazda recommends for use in all of its 2.0 L SkyActiv-G engines and the Mazda part# is 0000-G5-0W20-MQ. Along with the practice of most oil companies, a detailed list of its constituent base stocks is omitted but since it lists its ingredients as "Petroleum oil, Other," it's reasonable to conclude that it is a hydrocracked Group III synthetic oil.

Transmission Oil Service Ratings

The American Petroleum Institute (API) Service rating of a transmission oil refers to the amount of extreme pressure (EP) additives it contains. An API Service GL-1 oil contains no EP additives and a GL-4 Service oil contains about 1/2 the additives of a GL-5 Service oil. EP additives are composed mostly of sulfur/phosphorus compounds that can harm yellow metals such as copper or brass that are contained in some synchros. Through 2010, as clearly stated in the M/T section of the FSMs, either GL-4 or GL-5 oils are completely safe to use. Starting in 2011, only GL-4 oils are recommended. The API service rating is completely independent of the viscosity rating so, for example, an SAE 75W-90 oil could have a GL-4 or a GL-5 or even a GL-1 Service rating.

According to the Lubrizoil Corporation:

API Category GL-4 designates the type of service characteristic of spiral-bevel and hypoid gears in automotive axles oprerated under moderate speeds and loads. These oils may be used in selected M/T and transaxle applications.

API Category GL-5 designates the type of service characteristic of gears, particularly hypoids, in automotive axles under high-speed and/or low-speed, high-torque conditions. Lubricants qualified under SAE J2360 also satisfy the requirements of the API GL-5 service designation.

In point of fact, API categories GL-1, GL-2, GL-3, and GL-6 were declared inactive (obsolete) by an SAE Technical Committee in 1995, although oils may still be marketed with these designations. Concomitantly, ASTM International (American Society for Testing and Materials) does not plan to maintain the performance tests associated with these categories, as in a number of cases these tests can no longer be run because parts or test installations are not available.

The importance of using the correct ATF fluid cannot be overemphasized. Mazda has issued a Technical Service Bulletin dealing with this issue. I will abstract a condensed version here since the original document deals with several models, not just the 3.

TSB: 05-002/11 - A/T - Correct Fluid Applications

Last issued: 02/23/2011; supersedes the previous bulletin 05-005/08 issued on 04/11/08

This TSB applies to all 2004-2011 Mazda3s with A/T. Always be sure to use the correct automatic transmission fluid when replacing the ATF. Using ATF other than ATF M-V (Type M5) in automatic transmissions designed to use this fluid may cause shift quality complaints. Using ATF other than Mercon V or Mercon LV ATF in automatic transmissions designed to use these fluids may cause transmission damage.
NOTE:
ATF M-V (Type M5) is not the same fluid as Mercon V or Mercon LV ATF.
ATF M-V (Type M5) has a greater viscosity than Mercon V and Mercon LV ATF at low temperatures.
ATF M-V (Type M5) has a greater anti-judder specification than Mercon V and Mercon LV ATF.

The correct Mazda Service Fluid is ATF M-V (Type M5) part #0000-77-112E-01.

So just what kind of oil is this Mazda product? I operationally define a true synthetic oil as one derived either from API Group IV (PAO) or Group V (Polyol ester) base stocks (or both) and specified as such by the manufacturer. This excludes oils derived from API Group III (hydrocracked petroleum) base stocks even though they can legally be sold as 100% synthetic formulations (for example, Castrol Syntec, Mobil 1), and any oil where the constituent base stocks are not explicitly stated as being of synthetic formulation.

As some of you know it's often extremely difficult to determine the constituent base stocks of an oil because most manufacturers don't specify this information. Stating an oil is 100% synthetic, in the absence of any real information, tells us nothing except perhaps the manufacturer has something to hide.

Fortunately, a small number of manufacturers do specify this information enabling those of us who care about this factor to select a suitable product. In other cases it's sometimes possible to obtain this information via a backdoor route - Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) - which under US federal law must be provided by manufacturers and importers of potentially hazardous chemical products, is one such avenue. An inspection of such a sheet for the Mazda ATF (Type M5) tells us that it is derived from a proprietary blend of "lubricating oils, petroleum, hydrotreated neutral oil-based (80 to 90%) and lubricating oil additives (15 to 20%)." In other words API Group III hydrocracked petroleum base stocks. To access the MSDS, go to:
http://www.worldpac.com/tagged/MazdaATF1.pdf
Look at Section 2 - Composition/Information on Ingredients

The MSDS also tells us that the manufacturer of the Mazda product is the Apollo America Corporation, now known as Idemitsu Lubricants America Corporation since September 2006.

Consequently, those seeking a true synthetic ATF will want to go aftermarket, although I in no way mean to infer that the Mazda product is not a high quality ATF capable of fully meeting its service demands. After all, it's approved and sold by Mazda - enough said.

Notwithstanding the above, several aftermarket A/T fluids (true synthetic or otherwise) have been reconfigured to meet the requirements of both Mercon V and ATF M-V (Type M5). Always check the specs before using.

Power Steering Fluid (All Engines, All Models)
ATF M III, M-V, or equivalent (e.g. Dexron II)

Happy Motoring!

See less See more
#2 ·
Oil Change Intervals

Engine Oil and Filter
Schedule 1 Maintenance: Normal driving conditions (U.S.A. only)
7,500 miles (12,000 km)

Schedule 2 Maintenance: Unique driving conditions (For U.S.A. unique conditions and Canada/Puerto Rico all conditions)
5,000 miles, (8,000 km)

Transmission Oil
In the Scheduled Maintenance tables, there is no mention of a mileage interval at which it is recommended that the transmission oil, either M/T or A/T, should be changed. This applies to both schedule 1: Normal driving conditions (U.S.A. only), and Schedule 2: Unique driving conditions (For U.S.A. unique conditions and CANADA/Puerto Rico all conditions).

Manual Transmissions
My Mazda dealer recommends an oil change every 30,000 miles (48,000 km) or every 24 months, and schedules it as part of the normal 30,000 mile maintenance (and multiples thereof). This interval also seems to be generally accepted, by consensus, on most Mazda forums. Despite this contention, some have argued that with the use of high quality, long life synthetic oils, considerably longer oil change intervals can be employed. However, Red Line addresses this topic in a manner that may well apply to other synthetic lubricant manufacturers as well. "Being formulated with extremely stable synthetic base stocks, MTL and MT-90 will last much longer than conventional petroleum lubricants. However, we do not recommend extended drain intervals, since without a filtration system there is no way to remove metal shavings other than draining the lubricant. The regular maintenance intervals are also recommended to insure that the proper level of the fluid is maintained."

Automatic Transmissions (Other than the FW6A-EL used with the SkyActiv-G Engine which Requires no Maintenance)
The same dealer recommends an ATF change every 30,000 miles (48,000 km) as above. The Automatic Transaxle Fluid (ATF) Replacement section specifies the proceedure as follows:
1. Remove the oil dipstick.
2. Remove the drain plug and washer from the transmission oil pan.
3. Drain the ATF and install the drain plug with a new washer.
4. Add the specified ATF through the oil filler tube until the level reaches lower notch of dipstick.
5. Ensure that the ATF level is in the HOT range (65 deg C; 149 deg F). Add ATF to the specified level as necessary.

However, my dealer asserts that this proceedure is inadequate and rather than just removing the ATF found in the bottom of the oil pan, the transmission and its torque converter should have all the old, contaminated fluid removed and replaced with new ATF. To accomplish this, my dealer uses the process, equipment and additives from BG Products, Inc.
FYI: http://www.bgprod.com/products/transmission.html

The color of the ATF can also signal need for a change. According to the FSM, the following table relates ATF color to its condition.
Clear Red: Normal

Light Red (pink): Contaminated with water

Reddish Brown (has no burnt smell): Normal, discoloration due to oxidation

Reddish Brown (has burnt smell and metal specs are found): Deteriorated ATF

Finally, again according to the FSM, one way of determining whether the transaxle should be disassembled is by noting:
-If the ATF is muddy or varnished
-If the ATF smells strange or unusual

Having never owned an A/T car, I have no knowledge of, nor opinion about, when to change the ATF.

Happy Motoring!

#3 ·
I believe, all this info is available in owners manual, which is in turn available online. Besides, you can safely use 5W-20 plain oil and change it every 5K miles. 7,500 miles changes is for synthetic only. This is all highly opinionated. Toyota, for example simply says, "change oil every 5K", synthetic or not. And if you look into owners manual, you will see that same engine in Mexico can take 5W-30. So, this is all crap related to fuel efficiency tuning. There is really no need to be so meticulous about it. Just don't go into cold winter on heavier oil - this is it.

#4 ·
#5 · (Edited)
Mazda has come out with their own branded 0W-20 engine oil
Lets not become lunatics. Mazda is a small automotive company that doesn't produce/design oil, filters, brakes, horns, you name it... They just selling your regular Idemitsu oil as "Mazda oil"
http://www.amazon.com/Idemitsu-20102059-Engine-Oil/dp/B007WMGFG2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1459872373&sr=8-2&keywords=Idemitsu+0w-20

If your car requires 0W-20 - you need to fill that type. Right now, I don't think they even have regular oil of that weight. This is why you stuck with synthetic. But believe me, you will not do harm by filling non-Mazda 0W-20 oil, like Castrol or Mobil.

There are too many misconceptions around about oil. for example, brands trying to sell you "high mileage oil for cars over 75K miles". BS. In your owners manual there is nothing about high mileage oil. I took many cars on regular oil to 200K and sold them with engines working like a clock.

#8 ·
I did the research a couple of months ago and don't have any links handy. Just go over to the BITOG (bobistheoilguy.com) web site, open up the forums, navigate to UOAs and VOAs (used oil analysis and virgin oil analysis) forums, and search to your heart's delight. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.