Hey everyone, I painted my front lip the other day and just wanted to post up some pictures of the procedure. I bought my paint from automotivetouchup.com and I was extremely happy with the outcome and color match!
I bought 1 can of adhesion promoter, primer, base coat, and clear coat, they all came in a standard aerosol can.
I bought a lip a couple months ago, and it was in extremely bad condition. The paint COLOR was the same, but there were half dollar sized bubbles with cracks in the middle of them, and lots of chips and dings. But the price was too good to pass up, so I figured I could make a project out of it.
I forgot to take pictures before I started sanding, but the big black area was essentially 2 two inch diameter chips, and the other black areas were slightly smaller chips.
I think there were 7 chips: 2 huge ones, 3 medium, and two small ones.
There was also this giant crack.
It took forever to sand, and I didn't know about the sander in the garage till I was almost done.
I also learned I do not know how to work the camera, and for some reason a lot of the pictures were crazy bright, so I did my best to fix them.
Here was my attempt to fix the crack. Bondo didn't work too well because it was too brittle, but I ended up using bondo, then melting plastic into the crack, an entire thing of super glue, and some rubber silicon. It doesn't look great, but it's 100X better and hopefully the paint will hide it well.
Here is after several coats of primer. After 45 minutes of drying I wet sanded the primer with 600 grit sand paper.
Here is after the base coat. 29Y
And then several coats of clear.
A little comparison. Damn near perfect.
Now on the car!
I did not edit any of the pictures after the sanded pictures. I planned on wet sanding the final clear coat, but the paint feels like glass already, and I do not want to screw it up and I am extremely happy with it.
I had never painted anything anywhere near this size, and it was a hell of a lot harder than I thought. The actual lip itself is not in the greatest of shape, and up very very very close (< a foot) you can see that the paint did not completely fill in some chips/scratches in the plastic.
The cost of the paint/clear/primer/adhesion promoter was $45 and I bought the lip for $45, so for less than $100, I'm damn satisfied.
And yes, I know, dirty car is dirty.