Squeaking and Clunk - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Short Track Racer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 128
Squeaking and Clunk

Hey all,

Had new rotors and pads put on all four corners over the winter.

The driver side front and passenger side rear have a rotational squeak. The faster the car goes the faster the squeak is and vice versa. Applying the brakes makes the squeak decrease substantially from the front and eliminates it from the rear. There is also mild pulsation in the brake pedal during heavy braking. What is causing this? Are the rotors already in need of resurfacing? Are the clips missing or something causing the squeak?


Secondly, the passenger side rear makes a clunk/metal slapping sound when traversing over bumps in the roadway. Kind of sounds like something metal is loose and slaps against another part when hitting the bumps.

ideas/solutions?

Thanks!
stslimited84 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Short Track Racer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 128
Anybody?
stslimited84 is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 07:21 PM
Le Mans: Prototype Class
 
madmatt2024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,229
Gotta take it apart and see whats up. If there is a pulsation then at least one set of rotors need to be turned or replaced. Cheap pads are more likely to squeak and possibly warp the rotor. Also, check for any play in the wheels before you remove them.
madmatt2024 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 08:23 PM
Le Mans: Prototype Class
 
ultimica06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,098
Garage
Did you do a proper "Brake Bedding" after the install?


My 1st Mazda! - 2009 Hatchback - Golden Sand Metallic


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ultimica06 is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Short Track Racer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimica06 View Post
Did you do a proper "Brake Bedding" after the install?

Yes.

I'm confident the brake issue will be easily sorted out. I'm more concerned with the noise from the right rear. The car seems to be functioning normally aside from that noise.
stslimited84 is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Short Track Racer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 128
I'm going to be getting centric blanks and akebono pads to resolve the issue of the brakes and reduce dusting dramatically.

Also considering Koni oranges and a pro kit. Are the rubber spacers referenced in the following thread thread required or was that specific user having an issue related to his car? If required, what spacers are needed? Koni Str.T and H&R Lowering Springs Kit Install (no pics)

Any ideas about the clunk/rattle? its present going over any bumps regardless of speed. Sounds like a piece of metal slapping around. Car functions normally otherwise.

Last edited by stslimited84; 07-26-2016 at 11:15 AM.
stslimited84 is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 02:37 PM
Bicycle Rider
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2
Sounds like the rotors are warped--this tends to happen because the rotor can't dissipate the heat as quickly as it needs to, so thermal expansion makes them contract in a funny profile. I always get suspicious when cars need brake work so quickly after being serviced. Did they replace the rotors or resurface them? Cutting them thinner makes them even more prone to warpage.

As for the squeaking, my fix has always been to remove the pads and apply anti-seize (copper based) to all the contact points: where the piston contacts the backing, where the backing contacts the caliper bracket, etc. Sometimes you've just got a cheap brake pad and there's nothing you can do. And while you're right about ceramic pads making less dust, they are harder and thus make more noise. They also decrease braking performance--think hard tires vs soft tires.

Clunking noise I'm going to guess is sway bar end links. Pretty common, and an easy fix. Take a look at #4 in this diagram to see what I'm talking about: STABILIZER BAR & COMPONENTS. REAR SUSPENSION.. Fits: 2007 Mazda 5 | Cypress Coast Mazda

That's just an example because I don't know your exact make and model, but the setup's the same.

Hope this helps!
Musterman is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Short Track Racer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musterman View Post
Sounds like the rotors are warped--this tends to happen because the rotor can't dissipate the heat as quickly as it needs to, so thermal expansion makes them contract in a funny profile. I always get suspicious when cars need brake work so quickly after being serviced. Did they replace the rotors or resurface them? Cutting them thinner makes them even more prone to warpage.

As for the squeaking, my fix has always been to remove the pads and apply anti-seize (copper based) to all the contact points: where the piston contacts the backing, where the backing contacts the caliper bracket, etc. Sometimes you've just got a cheap brake pad and there's nothing you can do. And while you're right about ceramic pads making less dust, they are harder and thus make more noise. They also decrease braking performance--think hard tires vs soft tires.

Clunking noise I'm going to guess is sway bar end links. Pretty common, and an easy fix. Take a look at #4 in this diagram to see what I'm talking about: STABILIZER BAR & COMPONENTS. REAR SUSPENSION.. Fits: 2007 Mazda 5 | Cypress Coast Mazda

That's just an example because I don't know your exact make and model, but the setup's the same.

Hope this helps!
Thank you for the reply.

My car is a 2007 mazda 3 s sedan. I think the mechanic just used cheap rotors and pads so I think putting fresh components on myself of a higher quality is the better route to go. I'll also flush the brake fluid. Any recommendations on the fluid? Was considering motul 5.1.

As far as ceramic pads go, how much noise are we talking about compared to non ceramic pads? The akebono get great reviews so that's why I was considering them. I'm open to recommendations.

Regarding the end links, what's the easiest way to diagnose that?
stslimited84 is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 02:47 PM
Moped Rider
 
11SELV6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SE
Posts: 15
Garage
When did the squeak start? Assuming it has been there since they were installed, then I'd guess that the backing plate got bent during installation and that's rubbing on the rotor. If not, it's anybody's guess until it's taken apart and inspected. First thing I'd do is lift the culprit wheel(s) off the ground and spin them, looking right at it while it's making noise should narrow it down a bit. The rest of your braking concerns sound like things that occur from white-box parts being used...can't do much to fix that besides using better parts next time around. Resurfacing those rotors might help a bit temporarily, but of course, making them thinner only exacerbates the inherent problem.

For the rear end, I'd probably guess end-links too, as previously suggested. Also something that needs to be looked at to narrow down. Thankfully there aren't that many things that can be that loose while still having the car be functional. Just poke your head under there and start jiggling things if it isn't visually obvious.

2007 SEL V6 (no more 2011 SEL V6)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
11SELV6 is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Short Track Racer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11SELV6 View Post
When did the squeak start? Assuming it has been there since they were installed, then I'd guess that the backing plate got bent during installation and that's rubbing on the rotor. If not, it's anybody's guess until it's taken apart and inspected. First thing I'd do is lift the culprit wheel(s) off the ground and spin them, looking right at it while it's making noise should narrow it down a bit. The rest of your braking concerns sound like things that occur from white-box parts being used...can't do much to fix that besides using better parts next time around. Resurfacing those rotors might help a bit temporarily, but of course, making them thinner only exacerbates the inherent problem.

For the rear end, I'd probably guess end-links too, as previously suggested. Also something that needs to be looked at to narrow down. Thankfully there aren't that many things that can be that loose while still having the car be functional. Just poke your head under there and start jiggling things if it isn't visually obvious.

The brakes were done around January or February. We got hit with a major snow storm I had to drive through and I think that may have caused the issue with the squeaking. It didn't squeak from the start but it's obnoxious now.

I'm planning on doing the brakes sometime over the next two weeks or so. Still debating if it's worth it or not to do the konis and eibach to freshen the suspension. Car is at 110k daily driven.

Appreciate all the feedback guys. Just a novice DIYer learning as I go.

I just checked the end links and they seem like they are tight as I was unable to move them by hand at all.

is there something else I should be doing? I'm wondering if a shock mount is broken.

Last edited by stslimited84; 07-26-2016 at 03:47 PM.
stslimited84 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Suspension / Brakes

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
clunk,clunk, clunk while accelerating and turning right ribbit78 Suspension / Brakes 1 04-07-2014 12:03 AM
clunk clunk clunk on sway bar freddyboi Suspension / Brakes 35 02-12-2009 12:39 AM
clunk, clunk, clunk when steering at standstill invalidalias Suspension / Brakes 3 04-03-2008 01:39 PM
Clunk clunk clunk when very hard brake tailgate Suspension / Brakes 8 02-19-2006 03:39 AM
CLUNK CLUNK WITH NEW PADS - $165 for rear brake pad change??? prboy3 Suspension / Brakes 30 10-20-2005 11:10 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
8