Need advice on new suspension kit (+ mounts?) for my '09. - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By chaos
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Le Mans: GT Class
 
chaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Green Bay, WI
Posts: 658
Need advice on new suspension kit (+ mounts?) for my '09.

So I'm at 107K and at least my rear springs are pretty much shot. Probably all four, but the rear is all I had looked at after I started getting a clunking noise and oil leakage from the rear right. The guy at the shop told me I needed new springs and new mounts.

So I was planning to just get the Koni STR.T kit here. However, I'm a bit confused being a noob to this stuff. I don't see that this kit includes mounts. So do I need to purchase the mounts separately? And if so, do I need four mounts? And can anybody point me in the direction of what mounts to buy? I've had trouble finding the answers on my own.

Or, alternatively, or there any different kits I should be looking at? I don't need high performance, I would just like something that's a modest upgrade over OE performance.

Thank you to anybody who can help.

'09 2.0 ATX | Lip Spoiler | JDM Visors | Enkei RPF1 | PureContact | Hawk HPS | Roca MM | Simota SRI

Last edited by chaos; 06-08-2016 at 12:49 PM.
chaos is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 12:55 PM
Le Mans: Prototype Class
 
ultimica06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,098
Garage
KONI STR Struts/Shocks are an OEM Replacement...not recommended w/ Lowering Springs from what I have read about other people having issues.
The factory Strut Mounts are crappy made of plastic....I know they make metal Strut Mounts but are Pricey!!!

KONI Yellows are the best to go with Lowering Springs.

If you are on a Budget I suggest Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs w/ KYB Gas-a-Just struts/shocks....this rides very OEM like but provide a slightly stiffer and a lot better handling...I had this set-up for 3yrs.

I upgraded to ISC Coilovers...Best decision I made Suspension wise....great for Daily Driving and then going for a Mtn. Cruise where there are curvy roads etc...Plus I wanted to slightly lower then what Lowering Springs had to offer.


My 1st Mazda! - 2009 Hatchback - Golden Sand Metallic


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ultimica06 is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Le Mans: GT Class
 
chaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Green Bay, WI
Posts: 658
What's the price comparison (roughly) between your budget option of Eibach / KYB and what you upgraded to (ISC Coilovers)?

I'm not looking to lower my 3 at all, for what it's worth. I just basically want to replace my suspension, but with something slightly better than OEM. So what you described with the Eibach / KYB setup may be perfect. Where would I purchase that?

Edit: Or minimal lowering.

'09 2.0 ATX | Lip Spoiler | JDM Visors | Enkei RPF1 | PureContact | Hawk HPS | Roca MM | Simota SRI

Last edited by chaos; 06-08-2016 at 01:25 PM.
chaos is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Le Mans: GT Class
 
chaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Green Bay, WI
Posts: 658
Okay. After doing a ton more research on my own, I settled on Koni SRT.T shocks/struts, Moog springs (standard/non-lowering), and KYB mounts/boots. I'm hoping those all work together as a suitable OEM replacement/slight upgrade on my budget.
Adam3324 likes this.

'09 2.0 ATX | Lip Spoiler | JDM Visors | Enkei RPF1 | PureContact | Hawk HPS | Roca MM | Simota SRI
chaos is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 12:37 AM
Moped Rider
 
leftthebtch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 41
I went with Racing Beat Springs...they are a perfect fit for my Mazda 3 sedan ...they haven't bottomed out yet and I've been driving hard on them for a month. I went with koni yellows...struts in front and shocks in the rear ...can't complain about the new setup ....but I'm sure you'll get an earful from some cocky people who think they know it all ...good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
leftthebtch is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 12:41 AM
Moped Rider
 
leftthebtch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 41


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
leftthebtch is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 12:43 AM
Moped Rider
 
leftthebtch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 41
yeah I know what your going to say so save it Obie one ..it's my car and yes I did it my way

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
leftthebtch is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 02:55 PM
F1 Driver
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimica06 View Post
KONI STR Struts/Shocks are an OEM Replacement...not recommended w/ Lowering Springs from what I have read about other people having issues.
The factory Strut Mounts are crappy made of plastic....I know they make metal Strut Mounts but are Pricey!!!

KONI Yellows are the best to go with Lowering Springs.

If you are on a Budget I suggest Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs w/ KYB Gas-a-Just struts/shocks....this rides very OEM like but provide a slightly stiffer and a lot better handling...I had this set-up for 3yrs.

I upgraded to ISC Coilovers...Best decision I made Suspension wise....great for Daily Driving and then going for a Mtn. Cruise where there are curvy roads etc...Plus I wanted to slightly lower then what Lowering Springs had to offer.

KYB better than Koni?
And pillowball mounts are not for a daily driver unless you want to rattle the teeth out of your head.

Someone's been smoking the good stuff...



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
myork is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 11:05 PM
Le Mans: GT Class
 
DarthR8er*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftthebtch View Post
I went with Racing Beat Springs...they are a perfect fit for my Mazda 3 sedan ...they haven't bottomed out yet and I've been driving hard on them for a month. I went with koni yellows...struts in front and shocks in the rear ...can't complain about the new setup ....but I'm sure you'll get an earful from some cocky people who think they know it all ...good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
How much of a drop did the RB lowering springs give your 3? I have the Mazdaspeed accessory lowering springs on my 2006 hatchie and I love the stance but it tends to bottom-out in the front more than I would like. I have Koni STR's in all four corners.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
DarthR8er* is online now  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 05:05 AM
Go-Kart Driver
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SC
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos View Post
Okay. After doing a ton more research on my own, I settled on Koni SRT.T shocks/struts, Moog springs (standard/non-lowering), and KYB mounts/boots. I'm hoping those all work together as a suitable OEM replacement/slight upgrade on my budget.
Are you done installing them? How's ride quality?
dyllanrt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Suspension / Brakes

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need some advice on suspension Acradian9 Suspension / Brakes 4 03-10-2010 03:52 PM
how much to install suspension? (also list of my suspension kit) XB Suspension / Brakes 14 07-14-2009 06:56 PM
suspension advice!! Inspecta 22 Suspension / Brakes 4 03-16-2008 12:08 AM
upper mounts on suspension. tnereffidxmitch MazdaSpeed3 Modifications 2 12-17-2007 05:48 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
8