Mazda3 vs Caliber
I just got my brochure on the new Dodge Caliber and I personally like it. How do yall think it stacks up against the 3? I think it's a hell of a car with some pretty cool features. I have not gotten behind the wheel of one just yet, but I was wondering if anyone has if they can compare it to the Mazda3 and let us know where the Caliber succeeds and fails.
I wish I had a scanner to scan some of the brochure pics (put the site pics to shame), but here's what I like about the car:
1) Style - looks chizzled, mean, and sporty
2) Features - spot for cell phone/mp3 player in armrest, aux jack, musicgate 458 watt sound system with flip speakers on the liftgate, mini fridge in glovebox, and plenty of options
3) Engines - Rival the Duratecs for power and fuel efficiency (1.8 = 148 hp, 28/32 & 2.0 = 158 hp, 26/30)
4) AWD - Available all wheel drive, which the 3 does not offer
5) Versatility - Can boast up to 48 cubic feet of cargo capacity compared to the 3's 31.2 cu. ft.
6) Instrumentation - I like the instruments in the Caliber. Very clear and organized dash and centerstack. Well layed out. On par with the 3.
1) Rear Drums - Braking is not going to be as good as Mazda
2) Handling - I've heard it's above average, but still body roll because of the taller roofline (3 inches taller, but you get more headroom)
3) CVT - Could be a plus or a minus depending on how you feel about CVTs. Reliable, but with quirks. I'd rather have the 5 speed auto from Mazda.
4) Grille - Truck grille looks a little out of place and derails the rest of the cars sexy exterior. Atleast it's not as obscenely big as a Ram or Durango
I can't wait to get behind the wheel of one. There's a lot to like about the Caliber, but how does it truly compare to the 3?