Mazda3 Forums banner

2006 Hatchback Steering Oscillation (BAD)

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Strizzo 
#1 ·
So, I have an '06 hatch, and I recently had the tires replaced on it, but I had issues before getting the tires replaced. I also recently replaced the rear struts on the car (glad I did, because I found a broken rear mount).

Anyways, I thought maybe the issue would go away after replacing the rear struts/mount, but it didn't. Essentially, the car becomes very unpredictable to drive when I hit bumps. The steering wheel will oscillate horribly (at higher speeds), or it will get very stiff, and I'll feel like I can't make whatever turn I am in (like the car is understeering).

Is this just the way the car handles, or is something wrong there? I had the alignment checked at a Sears; everything looked okay, but the cross-toe was not equal to zero. Somebody told me potentially that bad toe could cause issues like this?

Additionally, this stuff happens at any speed. I can be parking the car, catch a bump, and the steering goes stiff on me.

#4 ·
are you talking about the steering wheel shaking back and forth while driving? if so, that is usually a tire out of balance. it should have been fixed when they installed your new tires, so it could also be a bent wheel, but they should have noticed that but many times they don't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.